Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting 1/8th onroad to Rally Game/GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default Converting 1/8th onroad to Rally Game/GT

Has anyone ever tried to attemp to convert 1/8 onroad mugen/serpent/xray car into a rally game/gt ?

I have always wanted a 1/8 luxury tc/gt car that is belt driven, high quality parts and my choices are limited to the BMT 081, Blade Racing RX1 1/8 GT, and crono sp9. Unfortunately, these cars are only available from Italy and the cost would run about $800 -$900 + international shipping w/o spares and engine. The other problems this might present is its part availability and the manuals are usually in Italian.

My thinking is it might be cheaper and better support is to try and convert a 1/8 onraod circuit racer into a GT, im sure its more complicated than slapping a set of sweeps and a GT body on them.

BTW if im left with no other options, I spoke with spooky & bill (igthobbies) about getting one sent here from Italy and doing a two speed convertion using the evolva tranny.

EDIT: looks like Bill @ igthobbies has the bmt 081 pro listed at his site for $600, a much more attractive price range for me and others.
http://www.igthobbies.com/BMT-BMT109...IT_p_1778.html

Thanks for your inputs

Last edited by VexVegaz; 08-30-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VexVegaz
Has anyone ever tried to attemp to convert 1/8 onroad mugen/serpent/xray car into a rally game/gt ?

I have always wanted a 1/8 luxury tc/gt car that is belt driven, high quality parts and my choices are limited to the BMT 081, Blade Racing RX1 1/8 GT, and crono sp9. Unfortunately, these cars are only available from Italy and the cost would run about $800 -$900 + international shipping w/o spares and engine. The other problems this might present is its part availability and the manuals are usually in Italian.

My thinking is it might be cheaper and better support is to try and convert a 1/8 onraod circuit racer into a GT, im sure its more complicated than slapping a set of sweeps and a GT body on them.

BTW if im left with no other options, I spoke with spooky & bill (igthobbies) about getting one sent here from Italy and doing a two speed convertion using the evolva tranny.

EDIT: looks like Bill @ igthobbies has the bmt 081 pro listed at his site for $600, a much more attractive price range for me and others.

Thanks for your inputs
It sounds like an expensive project for what is essentially a "play" car; that is, a car that can't be raced because it doesn't fit into any existing class (at least not in the NY area).

Now if anyone is interested in playing around with 1/8th 2wd pan cars...I'm jonesing for one of those myself...
Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for your inputs
I was thinking of the same thing, I have a Mugen MTX-4X so I will see what it can look like.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Gary NJ
It sounds like an expensive project for what is essentially a "play" car; that is, a car that can't be raced because it doesn't fit into any existing class (at least not in the NY area).

Now if anyone is interested in playing around with 1/8th 2wd pan cars...I'm jonesing for one of those myself...
That it is, but @ fbf there are usually enough people out there during the weekends where we can "play" race and just enjoy. besides I have been jonesing for a luxury car for such a long time, i just don't like circuit cars and nitro tc is just too small once you experience 1/8th.

EDIT: Gary, i noticed you have a cncmachine shop adverised in your sig, what would it take to make the nessesary parts to convert a mugen/xray circuit car into a GT/Rally game?

Originally Posted by jneg
I was thinking of the same thing, I have a Mugen MTX-4X so I will see what it can look like.
Tnks jneg..please keep us posted with your project. And since i don't plan on getting into this project until the season end, it gives me enough time to research and find other alternatives.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

That it is, but @ fbf there are usually enough people out there during the weekends where we can "play" race and just enjoy. besides I have been jonesing for a luxury car for such a long time, i just don't like circuit cars and nitro tc is just too small once you experience 1/8th.

EDIT: Gary, i noticed you have a cncmachine shop adverised in your sig, what would it take to make the nessesary parts to convert a mugen/xray circuit car into a GT/Rally game?
I hear ya Vex - I came down to FBF one Saturday to practice and I was amazed at the numbers of folks playing.

I do work at eMachineShop - url is www.emachineshop.com We are the 1st pure online machine shop. Basically, you go to our website, download a free, easy to use (by CAD standards) program to design your parts, and you get instant online pricing on how much it costs to make what you want. Just to set your expectations - this is not a cheaper way to get a racecar than buying a manufactured one. But it is a way to get CNC'ed parts without having access to Solidworks and a $70K Haas VMC...If you need 2D parts and we can cut them on our waterjet...that is more reasonable in price compared to 3D stuff done on the CNCs. Come find me Sunday at FBF at the GT race and I can show you a waterjet-cut front shock tower on my Hot Bodies D8R GT car.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

I'll be there, i wont be racing due to blown clutch and tranny on my gt2 but i wanna support the event and finally meet some of you rctech guys. Im also looking forward to your HB hybrid.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

I'll be there, i wont be racing due to blown clutch and tranny on my gt2 but i wanna support the event and finally meet some of you rctech guys. Im also looking forward to your HB hybrid.
It's only Tuesday! Plenty of time to throw a new clutch and 2 speed in that bad boy and go racin'
Old 09-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Vex bring your car I am positive I have extra parts to fix it. Just bring it and race

Gotta get your feet wet, sportsman class is the perfect time 4 you
Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

preciate that speedy, i left my gt in staten island and im already in brooklyn for the weekend, ill see if i have time to go back and pick it up.