R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default on road ?

im goin to get a onroad nitro car but i dont know what car would be good.
traxxasman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxasman1 View Post
im goin to get a onroad nitro car but i dont know what car would be good.
Simple question.. Complex Answers will follow.

1 If you are not going to race, then I'd be tempted to put a set of road tyres on a 1:8 scale 4WD buggy or GT Car with a pullstart. Many, not all hobby onroad cars dont seem to be able to handle the demands of onroad.

2 If you want to race, then there's more to the accessory items, spares and tools that there is to the car. So I'd suggest looking up the For Sale threadds and ask around at your nearest track and choose wisely. A Mugen MTX4 is a good car and with the release of the MTX5 soon, there's going to be plenty of good used cars available. If you want new, then it's hard to go past a Hobao Hyper GPX4R (Centaxt/Pullstart)

I dont want to scare you off, but it's a commitment to a long term strategy.
If you do want to commit and enjoy the ultimate performance then buy wisely, too many enter with poor decisions and most don't make it past the first few months. Ask the regular club members about their experience.

Here's where I went wrong:

Bought a chassis that others werent running at my local track
Bought lesser quality servos and radio gear to start with
Bought chassis that I cant get parts easily at local hobby shops
Bought a car with poor battery options and wood screws
Bought a car that wasnt compatible with any other.

Here's where I went right:

Expected a long learning curve
Bought Italian or Japanese quality Engines
Ive never bought a second hand engine
Invested my time maintaining my gear
Only buy good quality tools and good starter box
Enjoy the maintenance and upkeep with my sons and factored that into the costs as a positive, not a negative.

And.... Stuck to it for over 3 years!

I could sell you a good Carbon Fibre + 7075 Alu chassis for $100 and it wouldnt be long before you've reached over $2000 to keep it going.

But by then, you could be enjoying this sepctacular experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cay8TnBUwc
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Tech Adept

good post
thilo-alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice Video work
Old 08-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Tech Master

+1 both
Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

hey traxxasman1, if you want to race with it, i would say that it's a commitment as blis said. it needs lots of things like cash, a pro kit, tire truer, set-up system, many equipments and the love of doing maintenance and taking care of your baby. i'm not saying all that to keep u away from onroad cars, am just saying that so you have an idea how it is a commitment. am an onroad 1/10 driver and imo nitro onroad is the best and most fun class in the rc world racing and it would pump adrenaline in your body more than any class. there are two common sclaes for onroad cars, the 1/10 scale and the 1/8 scale. i would suggest you go with the 1/10 scale for many reasons, -the 1/8 scale looks very big to me -the 1/10 scale can be driven in most on road tracks, where the 1/8 class requires larger track -the 1/10 bodies look much nicer than the lola body (which sits on the 1/8 class), and if u like the lola body you can use it on the 1/10 class. there are two pro kits that i consider the best ( the xray nt1 and the kyosho rrr). they are both imo have the same performance, so for you to choose one to go with i prefer u see which brand is most common at your local hobby shops so you can get parts easier. if u are not racing with it i would assume that u r goin to run it on the street which is abusing the car because keep in mind that onroad cars are allergic to the tinyist stones on the street, unless u r going to pick up all the stones on the street. if u r not going to drive it on the street but will drive it on a track, then still buy the best kit (xray or kyosho) so you don't regret it when u get tempted to race with it in future. so my advice to u whether u gonna race with it or not is buy the best kit as if you will race with it because you will sooner or later race with it.

good luck and have fun.
The Precise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

hey traxxasman1, if you want to race with it, i would say that it's a commitment as blis said. it needs lots of things like cash, a pro kit, tire truer, set-up system, many equipments and the love of doing maintenance and taking care of your baby. i'm not saying all that to keep u away from onroad cars, am just saying that so you have an idea how it is a commitment. am an onroad 1/10 driver and imo nitro onroad is the best and most fun class in the rc world racing and it would pump adrenaline in your body more than any class. there are two common sclaes for onroad cars, the 1/10 scale and the 1/8 scale. i would suggest you go with the 1/10 scale for many reasons, -the 1/8 scale looks very big to me -the 1/10 scale can be driven in most on road tracks, where the 1/8 class requires larger track -the 1/10 bodies look much nicer than the lola body (which sits on the 1/8 class), and if u like the lola body you can use it on the 1/10 class. there are two pro kits that i consider the best ( the xray nt1 and the kyosho rrr). they are both imo have the same performance, so for you to choose one to go with i prefer u see which brand is most common at your local hobby shops so you can get parts easier. if u are not racing with it i would assume that u r goin to run it on the street which is abusing the car because keep in mind that onroad cars are allergic to the tinyist stones on the street, unless u r going to pick up all the stones on the street. if u r not going to drive it on the street but will drive it on a track, then still buy the best kit (xray or kyosho) so you don't regret it when u get tempted to race with it in future. so my advice to u whether u gonna race with it or not is buy the best kit as if you will race with it because you will sooner or later race with it.

good luck and have fun.
The Precise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Suspended

i am using 09 nt1 and i am happy with it since day one. you cant go wrong with xray nt1, its durable and handles pretty good.
604 racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

First things first please don't be overly influenced by club members. Not to be offensive to my club, but 99% of the people drive a NT1... NT1 isn't bad but c'mon not everyone needs to have it. The others are Serpent. Have some variety to the club so pick a good car and not a car that EVERYONE buys. Having parts nearby isn't really a 'need' anymore. Something called internet was invented quite some time ago. The NT1 may be a good car but not everyone needs one. Pick the one that looks good.

Good cars..
Serpent (720,733), Mugen (MTX4, MTX4R, MTX5), Xray (NT1), KM Racing, Kyosho, ETC... Just go roaming around this forum and check out the threads... They have lots of info on the cars.

Last edited by fung_kyle; 08-09-2011 at 02:27 PM.
fung_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote