R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Default discussing only piston/sleeve resizing

what do you guys think about the piston sleeve resizing and on how it improves your performance and lasts longer than original
make sure we only discuss the benefits of this and that it is not advertising for the service

thanks john

Last edited by osrocket; 05-22-2002 at 09:00 PM.
osrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default Re: discussing only piston/sleeve resizing

Quote:
Originally posted by osrocket
what do you guys think about the piston sleeve resizing and on how it improves your performance and lasts longer than original
make sure we only discuss the benefits of this and that it is not advertising for the service

thanks john
I am curious as to exactly how you do this. If it alters the external diameter of the sleeve this cannot be a good thing since the sleeve to block fit will become loose and cause blow-by.

Also how do you ensure that the sleeve to piston angle is restored correcty? Since if this angle is wrong the interference fit can be restored by changing the piston/sleeve size but the actual seal may not be so great.

Not a flame just questions.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:25 PM   #3
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Default

there is over 750 replies on this link and i have done over 300 of them with nothing but positive results, many of them for team sponsored drivers and the outer interference fit of the sleeve is not altered by this, although i have noticed a variation of up to .0005 tenths out of sleeves of the same model engine, i opened up 5 novarossi engines and used table mics and also opened up 5 OSV01's and also used table mics and i also had up to .0005 variation, and the taper is increased somewhat which in turn has proven to increase the engines lower end output and also these engines for some reason run cooler putting out more power, i have one mugen driver that i did one for in june last year and he lost a main bearing at the columbus gas champs and chose to put that sleeve back in the old engine and keep the same piston/sleeve, versus running a brand new already broken in engine that he had ready to go> it is very interesting and proving to be more performance related than i ever expected, i was just trying to save the average racer some bucks by renewing his stuff and saving the price of new piston/sleeve>
here is the link:::
http://www.rc-racing.com/cgi-bin/bac...Aoffroad4%3A41
osrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by osrocket
there is over 750 replies on this link and i have done over 300 of them with nothing but positive results, many of them for team sponsored drivers and the outer interference fit of the sleeve is not altered by this, although i have noticed a variation of up to .0005 tenths out of sleeves of the same model engine, i opened up 5 novarossi engines and used table mics and also opened up 5 OSV01's and also used table mics and i also had up to .0005 variation, and the taper is increased somewhat which in turn has proven to increase the engines lower end output and also these engines for some reason run cooler putting out more power, i have one mugen driver that i did one for in june last year and he lost a main bearing at the columbus gas champs and chose to put that sleeve back in the old engine and keep the same piston/sleeve, versus running a brand new already broken in engine that he had ready to go> it is very interesting and proving to be more performance related than i ever expected, i was just trying to save the average racer some bucks by renewing his stuff and saving the price of new piston/sleeve>
here is the link:::
http://www.rc-racing.com/cgi-bin/bac...Aoffroad4%3A41
Interesting stuff. So the lower end output seems to increase along with more power and cooler running. Can't be a bad thing
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 04:57 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

I just ran my RX12 5 port turbo after osrocket did the piston/sleeve for it.

The motor was a dog before (right from the beginning) and now it's a screamer!!!!

More punch, 230F, 6.5 minutes run time on a tank, etc.

I"M HAPPY!!
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 07:33 PM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Default

thanks stephan, i have been doing approx. 45 to 70 a week lately and it is working out good, have been getting alot of interest from brazil, and also germany racers> that is pretty neat> jb
osrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 11:24 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
RAP66's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 335
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

OSRocket,


I sent you a PM. please send me more info, I would like to discuss a bit with you....




Rich
__________________
Rich Pedro

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 08:53 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Flash Gordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Are you ready to rock & roll?!?
Posts: 266
Send a message via AIM to Flash Gordan Send a message via Yahoo to Flash Gordan
Default Re: Re: discussing only piston/sleeve resizing

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer


I am curious as to exactly how you do this. If it alters the external diameter of the sleeve this cannot be a good thing since the sleeve to block fit will become loose and cause blow-by.
What is exactly involved with resizing the sleeve?
Flash Gordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 09:59 AM   #9
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Default

hows it going, i have done tons of these and have had nothing but positive results, also your sleeve will fit exactly the same way in the block as it does now( i only say that because we have used a set of (table mics,very accurate and always read the same without any variation)to check and recheck these, i hope that helps, if you have any other questions email me at [email protected] thanks johnb
osrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 11:05 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Flash, nothing you can do at home...
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 11:40 AM   #11
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Default

flash this is done on a very specialized half million dollar machine that i already have access to, and we have had some magnifluxed and they show no signs of the chrome plating fracturing, i would think that if it was done in a primitive way that there would be no way to keep the taper and the roundness correct and also that i may fracture the plating>> jb
osrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 05:53 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
Flash Gordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Are you ready to rock & roll?!?
Posts: 266
Send a message via AIM to Flash Gordan Send a message via Yahoo to Flash Gordan
Default

I know I can't do the same process at home. I wouldn't even try it in the first place. I just want to know exactly what is going to happen to my piston and sleeve before I ship it off. What does this "very specialized half million dollar machine" do to the piston and sleeve? I want it explained in a very simple way for a very simple person like myself. That's all I'm asking for.
Flash Gordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 06:41 PM   #13
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Default

it will not mark the piston/sleeve in anyway and you will be impressed with the way it fits and runs when you get it back, and your engine will really improve on performance at least that is what everyone has been mailing me> john

Last edited by osrocket; 05-28-2002 at 09:52 PM.
osrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:32 PM   #14
Tech Regular
 
Flash Gordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Are you ready to rock & roll?!?
Posts: 266
Send a message via AIM to Flash Gordan Send a message via Yahoo to Flash Gordan
Default

Forget it then. I'll take my business elsewhere.
Flash Gordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 10:23 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Flash

you know, I'm doing anodizing on R/C parts and about every week I have guys like you that want to know exactly what I'm going to do to their parts.

You think I'll tell them? certainly not. All they want is to see if they can probably do it on their own.

I'm doing this to make money and so is osrocket. It's his process and I consider it his business.

All I know is that it works.

I guess you better go and buy a new piston/sleeve set and throw your old one away, before you read his feedbacks and take that $20 chance and see it with your own eyes.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sleeve resizing spawn Malaysian R/C Racers 46 01-16-2004 07:36 AM
.12 piston/Sleeve Resizing Die with Press RayA R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 03-08-2003 02:37 PM
Piston/Sleeve Resizing Die RayA Nitro On-Road 10 01-19-2003 10:53 AM
Piston&Sleeve Resizing Service - Tooling RayA R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 12-13-2002 04:55 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:18 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net