R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-28-2002, 10:35 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Stefan,

I'm sorry, I don't agree with you there. I researched anodizing to find out how it worked, not because I want to do it in my garage - I have too many things in there now.

If I send in my sleeve and piston, I want to know what he is doing to it. That's all, just tell me what is happening to my little motor.

When I send in my F150 I ask specifically what the shop is doing. Not because I want to do it myself, but because the truck is mine and I want to know where they are sticking their fingers.

I also do that with the computers I am responsible for, but that's because the warranty idiots will fix the things that aren't broke and leave the things that are. . .different matter. . .

So, all that to say that I am interested as well, but I want to know more first.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:59 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You guys are making a big deal over nothing. Isn't the piston/sleeve worn out when you send it to him? You act like you're sending him a brand new engine. I've sent him a few, and so have other guys I know. It works. Period.

He's squeezing the sleeve so the piston fits tighter. He's only squeezing it a few ten-thousandths of an inch, so it won't affect the fit of the sleeve in the case. If you would rather spend $50-$100 on a new sleeve, go for it. I got 3 done for my 21's for less than $60. And they all run better than new. You should take advantage of it now, because it's not going to get any cheaper! And comparing your $30k F150 to a $20 junk piston/sleeve is going a little far, doncha think?
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 11:00 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by rcgod
You guys are making a big deal over nothing. Isn't the piston/sleeve worn out when you send it to him? You act like you're sending him a brand new engine. I've sent him a few, and so have other guys I know. It works. Period.

He's squeezing the sleeve so the piston fits tighter. He's only squeezing it a few ten-thousandths of an inch, so it won't affect the fit of the sleeve in the case. If you would rather spend $50-$100 on a new sleeve, go for it. I got 3 done for my 21's for less than $60. And they all run better than new. You should take advantage of it now, because it's not going to get any cheaper! And comparing your $30k F150 to a $20 junk piston/sleeve is going a little far, doncha think?
you made the points !!
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 11:12 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Rcgod, exactly what I was trying to say.

Nothing to add!!
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:31 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

thanks alot you guys, i have tried to explain that to some guys i am charging 20.00 and saving guys the new price of 80 to 100
(roughly)not only that the ones that i do seem to outperform
in a big way the stock ones(going on what all the guys that email me wanting there engine to run just like the one that they raced against today in nevada,oklahoma,detroit,indiana etc) for example. and i think when i go to a fastfood rest. with a family i spend more than that 20.00 for fast food. anyway i am not a bad person i really enjoy all the replies i get back from guys on how there engine works and that i am awesome (maybe when i do 3 to 5 of them) for what they would have spent just to replace one piece. so i will put up with the guys that disagree with it because sooner or later i think they will see we are doing this to help all the racers have that extra 20.00 laying around for food
or motels or whatever so they have more fun racing>jb
osrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:57 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Guys, it's not that I am arguing over what he is doing, it's that I didn't know WHAT he was doing and wanted to know.

That is cool! Does the compression actually go up higher than original or right back to the same? At what point should I send in a sleeve/piston? (both of mine seem to run okay) How long does this treatment usually last? Do you have a web page with more info? (see, I am usually full of questions. . .curious minds and all that. . .)

Thank you for the info - all I wanted, and I think all that Flash wanted was to know what osrocket was doing - not necessarily how, but what.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:17 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

here is a little note on the longevity of the redone engines my son matt was running one of the engines that i did in september and we raced it all winter at columbus indoors and i took him up to the outdoor track near chicago IL and he tq'd with that engine by nearly 7 seconds and there were some sponsored drivers there and it was there home track, the engines put out a ton of power all through the range< i have another mugen driver that has been running the same one since last july and still is running that engine and he can have a brand new one anytime he wants one> thanks jb
Old 06-05-2002, 02:53 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Dear John,

Please reveal all your trade secrets here so that we, paranoid tightwads that we are, can do it ourselves!

Seriously, John's 'mystery technique' works! Really really well!!
I had a totally worn out OS CV15 piston/sleeve that I sent to John, it came back to me promptly with no damage. My only grump was that it was so tight that I burned up two new glow plugs getting the dang thing broken in again. It took me a couple days and at least a twelve-pack of beer, but now that it's broken in, it SCREAMS! Low end, midrange, high end ... all are waaaaay better than before. Now my chassis set up needs work ... I was totally dialed with my old engine, but this thing now has so much torque I'm having to try new tires and setups just to handle the power. At half price of a new OS P/S!!

Flash, I know what you mean ... I had the same reservations at first ... but consider it a $20 bet against a Piston/Sleeve that's just trash as is. I've been racing since 1983 and this is easily the most bang for $20 I've ever gotten in RC. You wouldn't expect Colonel Sanders to tell you his secret recipe ingredients, so please don't expect an RC entrepenour to give away his. Just smile and say, "Wow!" imho ...

John R.
Columbia, MO
Luckyman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 11:01 PM   #24
Tech Adept

I do agree with flash. Not that I am going to do it at home, when you say that this is being done on a half million dollar machine I have no intention to find a half million dollar machine but when I first read this it sounded like your actually lapeing the sleeve resizeing it from the inside taking away taper from it thus less compression, and less copression=worn out=less hp, I thought you were talking out of your ass. Now that I know that you are going to increase the compression in some magical way I might send you 4 or 5 sleeves. But from the origional post and your unwilingness to tell what is going to happen besides "more" hp I would have thought it was a good scam. Or a trick to make people think that they have more hp because they spent $20. When I port a motor for someone and they give me money I will tell them and they will beable to see what I did. Will they be able to duplicat it? No. Will they understand what cuts do what to a motor? No. Will they try? Yes. And will they screw it up and come back to me to get another motor done? Yes again. You need to understand if some one was stupid enough to try this in the first place they usilly will send a motor to be worked on first to copy it. But if it is re pinching the sleeve that your doing then the same people will probably rig something up or use vise-grips to try it themselfs. Once they ruin their $70 now $90 sleeve ($20 to send it to you to copy it) they will get another one and when they wear that one out they will send it back to you. I see it all the time. People like to make an educated decision befor they spend money, weather $20 or $5. I'm not trying to slam you I do apriciate your services and could probably bring some busness your way with my porting. I just dont like seeing people walking away angry from a good opportunity.

I'm done.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 11:39 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

wow>>>>>>>>lets just leave it at that, everyone will be better off< don't want to upset anyone, after all i was invited to bring this discussion to this grid because of the popularity on the other grids<not sure now> jb

Last edited by osrocket; 06-07-2002 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:46 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

JPH.....that was a pretty uneducated response contrary to your own words. Why trash on John when you never took the time to find out exactly what he is doing and how? He has done several sets for me and they are awesome. Everyone else can testify to how much better the engines perform so just ask. Keep up the good work John! Besides, I would rather spend 20 dollars to have restored/increased performance and extended life instead of porting an already worn engine. I'm sure the performance will be much better as well. Just try it.
island-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 07:20 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Gotta say Mr Os roskets replys are what makes it sound like a scam !!

If he just said the sleeve is squashed from the start instead of the miracle cure line, it might have sounded a bit more credible.
muugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 09:00 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Maby you don't understand but I will try to explain it to you, I don't port worn motors. Any person in the right mind worn't. You can not rejuvinate a motor with crank mods and timing changes, when I say I could bring him busness I said that beacuse I could get people to use his service to resize the sleeve so I can do my work and have it be more effecive. That does not sound contrary to any good cause. I was not puting him down, just pointing out that when a service is offered most people would want more than a simple anyalsis of the benifits to presuade them into buying it. I understand what he is doing and like I already said I think it is a great service.

I also thought that this was only suposed to dicuss the benifits and not actualy sell anything. It seems to me that you are prety interested in seling to anyone that would ask on this thread.

Last edited by JPHRacer; 06-07-2002 at 06:27 PM.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 10:58 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

Sorry if I sounded a little harsh It's just that John is really a nice guy and his services are truly one of a kind. I think this is really great for the budget enthusiast that may not be able to afford a brand new piston and sleeve, it's a life saver for anyone owning a JP motor because my LHS says that they don't import parts yet. I say one of a kind because the sheer cost of the machinery he uses would make it impossible for anyone to use it just for resizing sleeves, you'd have to do at least a 100 a day to pay for it Keep up the good work both of you guys.
island-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 09:56 AM   #30
Tech Initiate

i thought you guys would get a kick out of this one i did, it is very common on all of them that i send out.> jb

John,I recived my piston/sleeve thursday,reassembled and broke it in yesterday.I've never had this motor running before so I don't have a baseline,but this little 12,running break-in rich and smoking like a diesel,out runs my buddy's 15,and I'm not even using full throttle yet.My buddy is so impressed,we're getting 3 of his sleeves ready.The others haven't seen the finished product yet,but I'm sure they will hear about it soon.Thanks for saving my motor and my money.I'll do business with you in the future,and I'm sending some business your way.Thank you again for a great service.I'll leave you some positive feedback when I get back to e-bay.Once again,Thank You.Sincerly,Keith Gross