R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #46
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am too against tire saucing, the problem imho lies in how to catch people using it. How about using a per-event 'spec' tire sauce and ban every driver attempting to use any other additive? I guess this way it would be a lot easier to inspect the tires using a sniffer...

Last edited by nosepick; 08-02-2011 at 11:42 AM.
nosepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Coming from carpet racing, you can't ever have too much traction. No matter how much traction the track has been sprayed they will go faster with sauced tires when the car us tuned correctly. Maybe car designs will change and the way of tuning will change but to think someone wont figure it out is not reasonable. Remember this is just the beginning of saucing tires, people will figure this out.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
Coming from carpet racing, you can't ever have too much traction. No matter how much traction the track has been sprayed they will go faster with sauced tires when the car us tuned correctly. Maybe car designs will change and the way of tuning will change but to think someone wont figure it out is not reasonable. Remember this is just the beginning of saucing tires, people will figure this out.
I don't believe in saucing the tires...I just put a few dots of Koford Brown in the groove before each corner, and then send my pit guy out with a spudger

Hiya Paul!
Gary NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #49
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary NJ View Post
I don't believe in saucing the tires...I just put a few dots of Koford Brown in the groove before each corner, and then send my pit guy out with a spudger

Hiya Paul!
Koford Brown? Right there is your problem. Gotta use the Camen Stick-it brown.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #50
Tech Addict

I would rather not use it but if its allowed, fine with me.
At the Worlds (Saucegate) on Tues afternoon after standing around all day waiting for something to happen IFMAR open the track for more practice. It was said that we could use unteched engines and such.
I was standing with Jim Rice, Bob Ingersol and Dallas (Pres of IFMAR) and asked if this was correct. It was.
I then told Dallas "good I have some tires to sauce to try". He just looked at me. I told him they had no way to enforce it or check it so what the hell I may as well try it if others are using it anyway.
So we went and sauced them right in the pits in front of everyone.
The Russian team walked by and saw us doing it and asked where to get the sauce so we told them.
In the end if can't be enforced open it up.
As Jim Rice said "before you make a rule you better be able to enforce it first"
Greg Esser
gesser26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #51
Tech Addict

Greg,

Now tell us from your view point, how time did you gain per lap?

Roger
Max Power/RC America - Mike's Hobby Shop - SRC Tires/RC America
Getting Faster With Age, Hope to see many more birthdays!
Woodlands Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #52
Tech Addict

You aren't going to believe it but zero. Didn't do anything for me at all.
I do have a theory for this. When I was racing motorcycles, riders would complain that certain riders were getting special tires (Q tires) and of course they were. Riders or r/c drivers don't really want to admit that they are a bit slower than so and so because they just might be a bit better. At that point human nature comes in that its got to be something else.
I believe, just like motorcycles that there are only a handful of drivers that can exploit the benefits of saucing.
I have seen motorcyle racing when a rider got his hands on a Q tire (he stole it) he went out and turned the same lap times.
Same thing here applies.
Racing is a mental thing as well so if you believe it helps then it must.
Greg Esser
gesser26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesser26 View Post
At the Worlds (Saucegate) on Tues afternoon after standing around all day waiting for something to happen IFMAR open the track for more practice. It was said that we could use unteched engines and such.
I was standing with Jim Rice, Bob Ingersol and Dallas (Pres of IFMAR) and asked if this was correct. It was.
I then told Dallas "good I have some tires to sauce to try". He just looked at me. I told him they had no way to enforce it or check it so what the hell I may as well try it if others are using it anyway.
The Russian team walked by and saw us doing it and asked where to get the sauce so we told them.
As Jim Rice said "before you make a rule you better be able to enforce it first"
Greg Esser
hahaha i watched that from a distance and was dying at Dallas facial expression
Old 08-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #54
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Greg Esser
LMAO Good 1 Greg
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #55
Tech Addict

Quote:
I do have a theory for this. When I was racing motorcycles, riders would complain that certain riders were getting special tires (Q tires) and of course they were. Riders or r/c drivers don't really want to admit that they are a bit slower than so and so because they just might be a bit better. At that point human nature comes in that its got to be something else.
I believe, just like motorcycles that there are only a handful of drivers that can exploit the benefits of saucing.
I have seen motorcyle racing when a rider got his hands on a Q tire (he stole it) he went out and turned the same lap times.
Same thing here applies.
Greg Esser
Thanks for your honesty Greg,
You have confirmed my thoughts on the subject. I also remember Uriah Murnan saying that his motor mods only add .3 - .4 seconds per lap. I too believe that the difference can only be recognized by a few of the drivers and most of us paying customers might not gain the advantage. The only area that I think the sauce might help the average driver is improving a less than ideal set up and giving you a false sense of accomplishment.

BTW.... A friend of mine who raced in the Miata Spec Class in SCCA tells me they fight the same issues with drivers trying to sneak in sauced tires. It is disallowed there.

How about coming over for the upcoming races at Gulf Coast Raceway (Mike's Hobby Shop); XRAY Challenge OCT 15-16th -or- Gulf Coast Grand Prix NOV 12-13th.

Hope to see you soon,
Roger
Max Power/RC America - Mike's Hobby Shop - SRC Tires/RC America
Getting Faster With Age, Hope to see many more birthdays!
Woodlands Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Same thing here applies.
Greg Esser
It is the old adage...well I bought it so must make car faster...have you ever been to a race where some actually admitted something new special or modifed made their car slower??? Funny how that works that items only make their car faster especially if they are expensive.

I like when some get a new model car they ALWAYS go faster out of the box...really..come on!

Tire saucing is not as simple as put it on and go faster...alot of variables are involved. Look at top electric touring guys overseas...practically a science to apply the tire additives.
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #57
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Blue Screw

Agreed there it seems tire saucing is harder to getright then setting the setup right... firstwhich brand do i use, cause brand A is .10 faster the brand B but how do i know for sure. then how long do i let it set in, then do i wipe the front or rear first , do i apply a different coat , do i use different brand fora used or new set, do i scrub in the tire, do i preheat and the best is guys pouring example( tire tweek in red dot container) and making everyone think hes using that.. For nitro racing what do the guys use for additive anyway? Do they use the same as electric foam( paragon,jack,ect)? cause if that the cause u still can smell the tire to see?
XRAY~RCAMERICA~HUDY~SRC~MURNAN MODS
Blue Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #58
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
I care. Its work plus a added cost to our hobby. Once everyone is using it there is no advantage to using it other than making more work for ourselves plus adding cost to our already expensive hobby. The extra 12 bucks isn't going to stop me from racing but I just don't see the use in it. The cat is out of the bag now so everyone has to use it or suffer a disadvantage to those who are using it. I'd like to see it go away asap. The issue is how would you police it without making a ton of work for people hosting races? I don't see it going away any time soon but I wish it would.
This is exactly the way I think, this is a hobby for me and I wan't to have fun doing it. I like to have drinks with my racing buddies rather than putting sauce on my tires...
Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
I care. Its work plus a added cost to our hobby. Once everyone is using it there is no advantage to using it other than making more work for ourselves plus adding cost to our already expensive hobby. The extra 12 bucks isn't going to stop me from racing but I just don't see the use in it. The cat is out of the bag now so everyone has to use it or suffer a disadvantage to those who are using it. I'd like to see it go away asap. The issue is how would you police it without making a ton of work for people hosting races? I don't see it going away any time soon but I wish it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_f View Post
This is exactly the way I think, this is a hobby for me and I wan't to have fun doing it. I like to have drinks with my racing buddies rather than putting sauce on my tires...
Agree 100%.
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez View Post
practically a science to apply the tire additives.
EXACTLY!!!