R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #841
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been considering doing a ground up nitro oval race car that looks like this. what do you guys think.
open wheel offset mid mount motor and all
Attached Thumbnails
RDLogics Mongoose-elcajon1.jpg  
Old 07-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #842

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

doesn't Custom Works make one?

I've been thinkign of making a nitro car out of tubing (auto brake line), welding it together (heck with brazing, i've got a mig), using off-the-shelf suspension parts..

just to fart around.. something nasty for my own enjoyment, maybe look dunebuggy-esque
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #843
Tech Regular

I have some questions for people that run at Revelation.Im getting ready to buy a Mongoose,so I should be ready to run within the next few weeks.Anyway,what do I need to do to my car to run out there(springs,any special parts I need for the car etc.)?I want to be competitive in the Sportsman class.I moved to Socal from Las Vegas so I might know some of you from the big races in Vegas.I havent raced in about 7-8 months so Im a little rusty.

As far as a motor goes Im going to be going with the REX RER3.Will that be ok there?What about pit help,Ill be by myself so I would need some help in that dept.I know for the most part everyone that I raced with has been real cool and more than willing to help.I met alot of Socal people at the Paris Memorial this past year and some of the guys I met were alot of fun.I hope to meet all of you out there at some point or another.

One more question,what kind of turnout are they getting?Ill be driving almost an hour to get there.I want to make sure its worth the drive.I like the competition,theres nothing I hate more than when 6-7 people show up.

Thansk for your help and I hope to see you all real soon!!!!!
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:27 PM   #844
Tech Regular

Default Revelation Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman500
I have some questions for people that run at Revelation.Im getting ready to buy a Mongoose,so I should be ready to run within the next few weeks.Anyway,what do I need to do to my car to run out there(springs,any special parts I need for the car etc.)?I want to be competitive in the Sportsman class.I moved to Socal from Las Vegas so I might know some of you from the big races in Vegas.I havent raced in about 7-8 months so Im a little rusty.

As far as a motor goes Im going to be going with the REX RER3.Will that be ok there?What about pit help,Ill be by myself so I would need some help in that dept.I know for the most part everyone that I raced with has been real cool and more than willing to help.I met alot of Socal people at the Paris Memorial this past year and some of the guys I met were alot of fun.I hope to meet all of you out there at some point or another.

One more question,what kind of turnout are they getting?Ill be driving almost an hour to get there.I want to make sure its worth the drive.I like the competition,theres nothing I hate more than when 6-7 people show up.

Thansk for your help and I hope to see you all real soon!!!!!
First off I am from Arizona and have been to Revelation many times, For what it's worth here are a few things you may want to know.

The track is currently the place to race onroad gas and has put on numerous big races check out their website at http://www.revrace.com/

Second although I have not tried my goose at the track yet I know that Brads last race their he felt very comfortable with the setup he had finally decided on and the car was a rocket other than a mishap during final qualifying.

Third, I think that the Team Magic Spring Kit will work just fine for any fine tuning that you want to do, and I know that alot of people are running the goose at Revelation so their should be no problem asking them who/what/why of what to do as far as tires etc.....

I would suggest getting the 18tooth Pinion gear package that will assist in many ways !!! Anyone Else ????

The track is my opinion medium sized and a front diff set up would probably be the recomended.

Fourth, read thru the numerous posts on this thread to get an idea of what everyone is running as far as set up goes and tweak it from there.

I'm sure individuals will post specific part #'s for you to purchase in the upcoming days and will support your efforts to race the car.

You will love it, and welcome to the RdLogics Mongoose Thread !!!!
Alot of information on this thread and more often than not alot of support !!!

Scott
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #845
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to 007kel Send a message via Yahoo to 007kel
Default Motorman

Thanks for the info Motorman, but I think you are referring to Fordman500 with the Mongoose, Richey Motor, and G4 info. I have had a couple of my friends buy the Richey motor and found they had to replace the carb because they just couldn't get it to run right (they don't do alot of track running, mainly drag racing out here in Pasadena, CA at the Rose Bowl). Currently, I'm running the Novarossi NRS5 at the Rose Bowl for drag racing and the RB X12 3 port for the track (SV Speedway) for the Mongoose. Please let us know when your steering kit will be available, I would like to get one.

Thanks,
Kel
007kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #846
Tech Regular

Default Oval Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman
I've been considering doing a ground up nitro oval race car that looks like this. what do you guys think.
open wheel offset mid mount motor and all
Motorman,

I may have told you, however, here is a quick reminder !!!

I was asked to be the Race Director for the Winternationals that were held here in Arizona in January, and with some help from our Nitro Onroad Gas Racing Buddies that race locally here, we helped put on one of the largest Oval Gas Racing races to date.

Check out this site for more info !!! http://www.rcwinternationals.com/site/track.html
You may even find a picture of my ugly mug in one of the forum threads listed as photo's somewhere !!!!!

Dennis Klein basically sponsored the race and is based here in Arizona with his own line of cars , Very Nice Guy !!!

But another player in the Scene is probably a welcome sight and is probably needed to boost it's attendance.

In any event, I think it would be awesome to pursue the thought and I know a couple of racers here that would be more than willing to test,race, and support the car !!!!

The race was basically all Gas, with several different classes , East Coast etc.. and if i'm not mistaken had close to 120 entrants.
A big contingent from Texas, California, and of course Arizona were present.

Send me a P.M. or give a call sometime to discuss !!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #847
Tech Regular

Default Custom Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpilone
doesn't Custom Works make one?

I've been thinkign of making a nitro car out of tubing (auto brake line), welding it together (heck with brazing, i've got a mig), using off-the-shelf suspension parts..

just to fart around.. something nasty for my own enjoyment, maybe look dunebuggy-esque
Yes!

Jpilone Custom Works makes a car as well and I thought that Tony Stewart of Nascar fame actually owns the company that makes the car.
He was supposedly going to show up for the race , however, it didnt happen.
Probably Rumor ????

ALot of the Texas racers had the Car and If memory serves me right I think they ended up with the Trophy for the Team with the most cars and points in the main utilizing the Custom Works Cars.

Although I dont race them (Yet) I found it pretty interesting and most of the rules are still somewhat based on local track ideals.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:29 PM   #848
Tech Rookie

hey scott,
you are more than welcome to try my sprint car if you want. the oval scene is pretty cool and fun also. i just don't get the time to do it as much as i do onroad. it's really tough to get a free saturday
Jo Gutierrez 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #849

Send a message via AIM to Uneke Send a message via Yahoo to Uneke
Talking I'm in!

Looks like I have new life for the GLC. They added another heat for Touring.

For all the Mongoose guys who will be there we need to hook up. I will be there with Team C Whit (Chris Whitney). This is my paint scheme below.
Attached Thumbnails
RDLogics Mongoose-frr0223xl.jpg  
Uneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #850
Tech Master

Uneke
Look for team RD you cant miss the tents. Brad Ray and I will be there. Tell Chris I want a shirt. (large) LOL
Old 07-15-2005, 04:10 PM   #851
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default Receiver location ...

Hi guys,

Just wonder if anyone of you are using your G4/Mongoose with the receiver mounted in any way different than stock position ? ... if you do, please post pics ...

thanks ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #852
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi
Hi guys,

Just wonder if anyone of you are using your G4/Mongoose with the receiver mounted in any way different than stock position ? ... if you do, please post pics ...

thanks ...

grind the 4mm holes(on radio tray) to 5mm. raise the receiver 2~3mm. put 2 o-ring on the top and bottom of the radio tray. Put a washer on the top of the mounting rod....

advantage:
1. 100% absorb shocks,say goodbye to radio failure.
2. Higher the receiver to aviod receiver touch the ground when heavy left turn.
Attached Thumbnails
RDLogics Mongoose-dscn0692.jpg   RDLogics Mongoose-dscn0693.jpg  
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #853
Tech Regular

What kind of starter boxes are you guys using?
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:20 AM   #854
Tech Regular

Default rd Logics Starter Box

Quote:
Part # 18010

Old 07-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #855
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Quote:
Serpent, with "Universal starterbox brackets"
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote