Old 07-02-2005, 02:35 AM   #766
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi
Well guys, my G4 its finished ...

I mounted a photo sequence with some comments but still in spanish (im working on a english version) ...

Mounting the pics saw an error on the shock mounting due not puting on the right place the rubber o-ring ... but i think that its all ...

You can see the spanish version at :

http://rcc.vtrbandaancha.net

hope you like it ... there are 162 pics on that web ...
Nice report, good job
Old 07-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #767
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys... If you want to see the wrong way to put together/build a Mongoose/G4, look at the current copy of RC-Driver Aug 2005... Not trying to sell Magazines nor flame it in anyway, but the author of the article and the person rating the Mongoose had wires hanging out of places... Look at the fuel tank under the car... the battery pack wire is hanging under the fuel tank... This guy also mounted the receiver on the chassic without it's proper mounts... It appears he put's the car together in 20mins... Strange thing is that RD Logics sent with the kit a motor as well for testing... The Auther swicthed and used the Picco-Mega 12 motor which is fine... A Very good motor when tuned right, he states the top speed for the Mongoose was 44 mph... It's clear the car was not built correctly or his radar equipment was not working correctly either... Note, in there Jan 1004 edition of the same magazine page 109, the Car as clock at 57 mph and that was with the old gearing and a old Rossi Pixy sport motor... The final drive ratio with the old was 4.947 and with the new Mongoose it's 4.842... I know some people are more biased towards some products then others... but this one was clealy a bad write... No, it was a joke... There's more to it, but don't want to flame the magazine because it's a good one over all... So if anyone want's to look at how not to build there Mongoose/G4, take a look at Aug 2005 of RC Driver... Now if you want to see a good build and good article, check out Radio Control Nitro July 2005 page 40... The main reason why I'm posting this is because many people read magazines and there articles before they buy a product reguardless of what it is... If it was about the Mugen whatever or HPI whatever, I would have posted the same way...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #768

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_alan
Hey guys... If you want to see the wrong way to put together/build a Mongoose/G4, look at the current copy of RC-Driver Aug 2005... Not trying to sell Magazines nor flame it in anyway, but the author of the article and the person rating the Mongoose had wires hanging out of places... Look at the fuel tank under the car... the battery pack wire is hanging under the fuel tank... This guy also mounted the receiver on the chassic without it's proper mounts... It appears he put's the car together in 20mins... Strange thing is that RD Logics sent with the kit a motor as well for testing... The Auther swicthed and used the Picco-Mega 12 motor which is fine... A Very good motor when tuned right, he states the top speed for the Mongoose was 44 mph... It's clear the car was not built correctly or his radar equipment was not working correctly either... Note, in there Jan 1004 edition of the same magazine page 109, the Car as clock at 57 mph and that was with the old gearing and a old Rossi Pixy sport motor... The final drive ratio with the old was 4.947 and with the new Mongoose it's 4.842... I know some people are more biased towards some products then others... but this one was clealy a bad write... No, it was a joke... There's more to it, but don't want to flame the magazine because it's a good one over all... So if anyone want's to look at how not to build there Mongoose/G4, take a look at Aug 2005 of RC Driver... Now if you want to see a good build and good article, check out Radio Control Nitro July 2005 page 40... The main reason why I'm posting this is because many people read magazines and there articles before they buy a product reguardless of what it is... If it was about the Mugen whatever or HPI whatever, I would have posted the same way...

RC_Alan
I am the author of that article. However, I didn't assemble the car. In fact, when I got it, I had to put my own radio gear in it, and then put the correct receiver mount (carbon graphite plate) in and put my KO receiver in it. I spent ALOT of time redoing things on the car to get it working right.

The engine that was supplied with the car was swapped for a mega ZX-12 beause it was available (and new in the box). I had a long conversation with Dennis Richey before changing to another engine. The radar data was done with the RD Logics engine, not the Mega.

I still have the car and am very impressed with it.
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #769
Tech Fanatic

I understand, but pictures are worth 1000 words... and like I said, I'm not trying to flame the magazine in anyway, it just puts a good car in a bad light. I have one question, how did you record a top speed of only 44mph?????? Were the brakes on/rubbing the pads??? Strange... I posted the gear ratio/final drive on both the old G4 & the new Mongoose and what the last article about the G4 from RC Driver Jan 2004 recorded a 57mph top speed... Remember, Your name is on whatever write for the Magazine and when it goes into print, that's your stamp on it... Thanks for the reply and have a happy and safe 4th of July... :-)

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #770

the magazine radar'd the car with the RDL engine in it, I was not present for this part of it. RCD is in CT, I live in Florida .

However, I did give the car a thorough evaluation, especially while testing durability! I smacked the wall at the end of the straightaway in Fort Myers HARD and broke a swivel finger for the steering, and also broke 5 spokes on the supplied tires (It was a HARD HIT!).

Once I got into my groove with the car, it felt very very stable, and very predictable.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #771
Tech Regular

Default Jarrod

Sounds like a pretty weak review, seeing as how it has performed so well at so many races so far for it's introduction into the larger than ever 1/10th sedan race for buyers.

I for one is very pleased that someone like Rc Alan can put the Magazines to the test when it comes to actual testing.

As you stated !!!
Quote:
I am the author of that article. However, I didn't assemble the car. In fact, when I got it, I had to put my own radio gear in it, and then put the correct receiver mount (carbon graphite plate) in and put my KO receiver in it. I spent ALOT of time redoing things on the car to get it working right.

Have you never put a car together correctly !!!! The instructions are virtually perfect !!!!!! Figures !!!!!

As you stated !!!!
Quote:
The magazine radar'd the car with the RDL engine in it, I was not present for this part of it. RCD is in CT, I live in Florida .

What does that tell about a review !!!! Lame !!!!

Un professional and not all what a test should be or based upon !!!!!

Un!!!! credible and will never listen to you on the Starting Grid Conference or anywhere else !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Good driver as well (I smacked the wall at the end of the straightaway in Fort Myers HARD and broke a swivel finger for the steering, and also broke 5 spokes on the supplied tires (It was a HARD HIT!). ROFL !!!!!!!!

Jpilone get a real job other than testing RC Cars !!!!!!!!
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #772

Answers in RED

I for one is very pleased that someone like Rc Alan can put the Magazines to the test when it comes to actual testing.

I ran the car at two different state races, I'm very happy with the car so far. I'm not a "desk nerd" writing info on cars I have no knowledge about.

As you stated !!!
Quote:

Have you never put a car together correctly !!!! The instructions are virtually perfect !!!!!! Figures !!!!!

I did not build the car. it arrived assembled (I was not happy, because I like building my own cars) and I had to spend alot of time with the car to get it working like the instructions said. and the instructions are great, BTW.

As you stated !!!!
Quote:
The magazine radar'd the car with the RDL engine in it, I was not present for this part of it. RCD is in CT, I live in Florida .

What does that tell about a review !!!! Lame !!!!

The radar data was based on the RD Logics engine. The car was actually much faster with the Mega engine. I had to gear it down because it had too much top end for the track in Fort Myers

Un professional and not all what a test should be or based upon !!!!!

Un!!!! credible and will never listen to you on the Starting Grid Conference or anywhere else !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, thanks for your criticism, it will help in future write-ups. Everyone is entitled to their opinion (I am not being sarcastic, don't take it that way)

Quote:
Good driver as well (I smacked the wall at the end of the straightaway in Fort Myers HARD and broke a swivel finger for the steering, and also broke 5 spokes on the supplied tires (It was a HARD HIT!). ROFL !!!!!!!!

The crash happened in practice. It was open practice and an 1/8th scale was up my rear end and I paid attention to the other car instead of mine and WHAM (have you ever had an 1/8th scale behind you on the straightaway in open practice? it's a nerve-racking experience). I am NOT a bad driver. I've been racing for quite some time. I finished 8th in the state series in 200mm sedan in 2003 and 2004. I also finished 2nd at the winternats in outlaw this year. I can drive, it's just that open practice was a BAD idea for a new car

Jpilone get a real job other than testing RC Cars !!!!!!!!

OK, that one hurt....
Old 07-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #773
Tech Master

ok guys cut the JP a little slack. I thought he did a great job considering that they dropped the car on him with an unrealistic deadline to write an article.

Yes we know the car runs well over 44 mph> I know rayJ's car runs 60 to 61 with a mod 3 port roar legal NS12 in it.

A few pictures of the new steering rack I will be presenting very soon. These are being done by me not RD Or K Factory
Attached Thumbnails
RDLogics Mongoose-racks.jpg   RDLogics Mongoose-proto1.jpg  
Old 07-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #774
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

RC alan - thanks for pointing out the article.

Jpilone - good job in keeping your composure and explaining everything that went behind the article (that most of us are not privy too).

let's move on!

is it just me or has anyone noticed that the on/off switch is located on 1 of the worst possible spots on the car! (ie next to the belt!)
it is sooooo easy for the wires to be cut by the belt. also, why is it on the opposite side to the RX?
i've decided to do away with the switch and run with a Y-harness instead.
wyl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:52 AM   #775
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman
ok guys cut the JP a little slack. I thought he did a great job considering that they dropped the car on him with an unrealistic deadline to write an article.

Yes we know the car runs well over 44 mph> I know rayJ's car runs 60 to 61 with a mod 3 port roar legal NS12 in it.

A few pictures of the new steering rack I will be presenting very soon. These are being done by me not RD Or K Factory
Looks a little bit 710ish
can you give a little pro's & con's what the change will do to ther car I ran the 710 for two season's but with the the mongoose I felt it had more steering than the 710 now why the change.
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:29 AM   #776

Send a message via AIM to Uneke Send a message via Yahoo to Uneke

Just ran the car this past weekend in Brooklyn at FRRacers trophy race. I finished 3rd in A with the mains filled to the E main. I am really loving this car. The car can take some pretty good hits and keep on rollin' To date I have yet to brake anything on the car.

Motorman: I do have one question . Why are you designing a new bell crank? What problems are people having with the current one?

Here are a couple of pics from the race. One is a pretty good one of me putting the pass on an eighth scale coming on the straight in practice.
Attached Thumbnails
RDLogics Mongoose-frr0216ka.jpg   RDLogics Mongoose-frr0223xl.jpg  
Uneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:59 AM   #777
Tech Master

why change? 2 words consistancy and durability

The current system:
1the arm is weak
2 it does not recenter after a short time
3 it gets sloppy real fast
4 belt clerance
5 you have to tighten the servo arm down on the rack to tight to get it to center consistantly and then you either break the arm or the servo.
the steering balls are to small and the ball cups pop off

New system: Used by everyone else with any sense: Kyosho, Mugen, ofna,Serpent etc.
1 It centers perfect everytime
2 it won't break your servo
3 the steering balls are bigger and the cups don't pop off
4 its simple to work on, you can remove it without taking the whole front of the car apart. also aids in changing the front belt.
5 zero slop the car will track true
6 more steering available than the current system.
7 no belt clerance issues
8 bulletproof design.
9 will fit all g4 designs
10 will include titanium steering and servo arms.

who cares what it looks like as long as it works. right.

Last edited by Motorman; 07-05-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:30 AM   #778
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Motorman my friend,

- Can you give us info about weight of that new system ?, at least in pics it seems to be a little bulky ...

- The position where it mounts its just like the original or do affect servo positions, radio tray positions, etc ?

- On the other hand ... im from Chile - Southamerica ... how can i get one to test it out ? ...

thanks ! ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #779
wad
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman
Nice job Dennis, looks like you were working hard for us Thanks!!

Tabushi: Dennis said on previous post that you don't have to change nothing on the car, the only thing will be that you need to make an extra hole in the bottom off the chassis.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #780
Tech Fanatic

Default I'm aboard !!

I orderd what I thought was a Mongoose but it is a black magic. I race 705 /710 and also a big Mugen fan but the pricing is getting out of hand for there cars I ran the G4 Sunday and I had two big problems One being the gas tank leaked like crazy and the second was the steering sys was so stiff it would not return all the way nutral. Which made it a handfull to drive but I got to tell you I liked the car so much I got a new Mongoose . I wouldn't say that it's better then the serpents or Mugans I would say I'ts a lot better The C/G is fantastic and My bodies fit it like a glove And the price tag is also good I have more invested in my 710 then I do for the G4 and the Mongoose together THIS CAR ROCKS GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
RDLogics Mongoose-car-pics-064.jpg  
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote