R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-29-2004, 07:28 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The steering rework that Motorman recommends is a must if you want the car to track straight lap after lap. I made the mod and it is night and day plus is durable.
peakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:30 PM   #47
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wad Send a message via MSN to wad

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
walter did you rework the steering rack like I recommended in another post. I have had feedback that it works good. very good.
No, I didn't. I checked everything and I don't see any problem. I haven't run the car yet, so will let you know tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:39 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Wad....you won't notice a problem at first but after you run the car a bit you will notice the car will not center properly and my wonder either left or right. It might be best to do the mod before you hit the track. If you don't pretty much the whole front end has to be disassembled to remove the steering and make the modifications that Dennis suggests.
peakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 10:11 AM   #49
wad
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by peakman
Wad....you won't notice a problem at first but after you run the car a bit you will notice the car will not center properly and my wonder either left or right. It might be best to do the mod before you hit the track. If you don't pretty much the whole front end has to be disassembled to remove the steering and make the modifications that Dennis suggests.
Ok, I will do that first. Thanks!!
Old 10-31-2004, 08:47 AM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: g4

Quote:
Originally posted by integ32
is it mongoose,or mongoose g4. maybe it should stay alpha-numeric sounds better.
You sound like you care
Leo V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:05 PM   #51
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Rocket Ronbo

leo.............i am lurking
Rocket Ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:22 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Default spring

duz the mongoose have a shock spring kit ???? need a lite!if so
whats the part # and when will rd have it in stock
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:39 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where is the post for the steering rework? Can't seem to find it
Old 11-01-2004, 10:21 PM   #54
wad
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by RoyU
Where is the post for the steering rework? Can't seem to find it
Check here
Old 11-02-2004, 06:33 AM   #55
Tech Regular

Has anybody used the rear ball diff from KFactory, and what kind of results are you getting with it?

I've got it in my car but when I adjust it loose to simulate 5K-10K diff fluid in the standard diff it's performance is erratic. It's smooth for about half of a turn, then slips momentarily, then smooth again?

KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:45 AM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Ronbo
leo.............i am lurking
I guess I should behave huh? I was going back and forth between the more conventional set up and what you did to my car on Saturday, and the more I went out of the box the better the car got I think I'll put some kind of a reminder on my toolbox. "Do what you gotta do" and "When in doubt, Call Rocket"
Leo V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:23 AM   #57
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Leo

Quote:
Originally posted by BoCal
I guess I should behave huh? I was going back and forth between the more conventional set up and what you did to my car on Saturday, and the more I went out of the box the better the car got I think I'll put some kind of a reminder on my toolbox. "Do what you gotta do" and "When in doubt, Call Rocket"
Hey Leo what is up? I left your Mugen white springs with Dana on Sunday. Thanks bro. Now what was Rockets secret.........PM me if you have to. I will start building my sedan tonight.
Later.
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by wad
Check here
Thanks Roy
Old 11-02-2004, 09:21 AM   #59
Tech Master

Isuzuguy spring kits are on the way.
In between we have had good luck using short serpent springs.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #60
Tech Master

repost

Theres been alot of talk about the new steering system and knuckles of late. Having just layed my hands on one of our kits and in talking to leo heres what I see so far. On the steering system: Until a better solution surfaces I believe I know what you can do to get rid of some slop and add some on center feel. First off the servo saver spring needs to go completly. put some ca on the arm and use a shorter screw and bolt it down solid. with todays metal gear servos the servo can survive easily without it. the balls will pop off first. I believe most of the centering issue is right at that joint and after a few hard whacks that joint gets deformed and wont center equally no matter what you do. I also believe this is what is killing the belts is the arm is rising in a (hard whack: I was wrong) over travel condition and killing the belt. Also remove all the screws and add a small amount of red locktite to the screw holes in the plastic and reassemble the system. be carefull to get it just into the threads. over doing it will get it into the bearings and cause problems. I have had no fit issues with the system just remember to remove the origional rail posts from the bulkheads when installing it and screw it back to the bulkheads when you get it back into the car. I will be running the car the next two weekends and will let you know what we find and or recommend

Until something better comes along this is where the cars steering is at. Personally I would like to see a belcrank arrangement like serpent or mugen as there is plenty of room for it to fit and its a relativly simple rework. You can bet I will be working on this.

as far as knuckle quality goes mine are perfect but leo has had 2 that had issues so it must be a mold cavity issue. Nick at TM has been told of the issue and he said he would check it out. Although I have not talked with him yet.

after some aditional thought on the steering the light came on. Front belts are being destroyed because people are overtraveling the steering causing the servo saver arm to rise off its mount thus destroying the belt. (if the system is set up correctly the system will not hit the belt in normal use there is plenty of room: read on) this also causing the centering issue as the servo saver never returns to exactly the same place and gets worse with wear. The wear is caused by overtravel trying to get more steering than the system allows as the mechanism uses the bulkheads for its end stops. (its suppose to be that way) If it traveled any more than that the tires would hit the lower shock ball cups anyway so grinding the bulkheads to get more sweep is useless. My G4 steers as much as my serpent 710

so you need more steering: what to do? first stiffen the front shocks by supergluing one shock hole shut and use the 60 wt oil. (this will cause more push or less roll, but less chance of traction roll) then go to a softer front tire such(this will bring the steering back up) as a 40 rear 37 front combo or 42 rear 40 combo. softening the front tires is the answer to more steering or standing the rear shocks up and stiffening the rear bar.

If you look at the really fast guys cars run they dont use much front steering as they generally use as soft a tire as possible on front without traction rolling. To much push from to hard a front tire or a poor setup causes you to over travel the front steering causing the servo saver to make the belt go tits up. you probably dont even know its getting you if your max travel on your steering allows this and your dialing it up beyond the swing racks max travel limit during the race to get more steering.
try using a softer front tire and a stiffer damped front end. and set your max right and left travel to the limit of the swing arm travel and no more while trying to set up the linkage and radio so you could never dial more than that into the car in the first place. life will get way better.

all that said I still recommend scrapping the servo saver spring so it just cant happen.

Dennis
RD