Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
how do I convert pull start NTC3 to non? >

how do I convert pull start NTC3 to non?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how do I convert pull start NTC3 to non?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default how do I convert pull start NTC3 to non?

Hello all,

Can I get some help with converting my pull start NTC3 with a OS .12CVX to a non pull start. What parts do I need buy?

I'm also looking to buy a new engine in the near future. What engine to you recommend for NTC3 with side exhaust? Can I use side exhaust after I convert to non pull start?

One more question. Why did the non pull start kit comes with a rear exhaust instead a side one?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Because when you order the non pull start kit they have the kit set up for rear exaust
And buy the sounds you are running a side exaust with out a pull start so it runs the same header as the pullstart..
Dont no the part number for the side exaust header..
Old 05-19-2002, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Side exhaust NTC3 allow both pull and nonpull start engine.
You just need to convert you OS 12CVX into 12 CV.

To convert your 12CVX you need 12CV crankshaft and backplate. To do this, you remove the recoil/pullstart and replace the crankshaft with 12 CV and use the CV backplate in place of recoil.

Crankshaft:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...m?Q=1&I=LXCH20

backplate:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...m?Q=1&I=LXCF80
Old 06-11-2002, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

I bought the Pull start side exhaust kit because i was not fond of the pipe system on the non-pull start rear exhaust kits...

I run a HPI novarossi side exhaust engine with kit mounts and flywheel. I use a starter box to start it. You do not 100% have to get new mounts and flywheel to use a non-pull start engine, although your engine will sit higher as mine does about 5mm i think.. Lack of time to wait for new mounts and flywheel is why i went ahead with the kit parts.. I plan to lower the motor later... so far i have not felt anything wrong with the way it is..

Pull start motor owners that want to use a starter box dont 100% need to remove the pull start and change the back plate. You are able to bump start pull start engines wiht a starter box.. so if i were you i would use a starter box now and get the mounts and new flywheel when you upgrade to a new non-pull start motor... go with a novarossi based engine they come in sideexhaust.

Why the non-pull start kits come rear exhaust ready: Because all the latest and greatest +1hp motors are coming that way... i had issues with the pipe on this kit and went the side exhuast way
Old 06-11-2002, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

go to the OS MAX website and find the part number for the back plate for the non pull start motor, drop by your LHS and special order it.

The crank is an option you can buy the non-pull crank, or just hit the pull nub with a dremel. That should be it!

Rich
Old 06-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

or you can always buy my NTC3 with MT.12 engine