R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to backwoodsRC
Default supercharged 4-tec w/ nitrious

Last week was slow around the shop sooo... just had to put this together..
Attached Thumbnails
supercharged 4-tec w/ nitrious-dsc05066.jpg   supercharged 4-tec w/ nitrious-dsc05067.jpg   supercharged 4-tec w/ nitrious-dsc05068.jpg   supercharged 4-tec w/ nitrious-dsc05075.jpg   supercharged 4-tec w/ nitrious-dsc05071.jpg  

Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to MattFromSooke

Lets see a vid of it running
Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromSooke View Post
Lets see a vid of it running
+1 f ING sick!
TIZAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromSooke View Post
Lets see a vid of it blowing up
fixed
I Support: Futaba--Holmes Hobbies--Savox--Castle Creations--Tekin
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
Tech Addict

as awesome as it looks, what a waste.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I think it's awsome!!! Let us know when the vid is done. Hey DJ; you can never go wrong with a raw display of horsepower.
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default supercharged

I have seen many 10th scales, one or two 1/8th scales and really countless off-road trucks,<Savage, Cen, and T-Maxx> set up with the superchargers, nitrious, and with the combination of both power adders, and I have not met one of the owners who was pleased with the outcome.Dial in the cost factor, and other than a 'WOW' factor, it seems like such a waste of time and money.But again, to each their own, as it is a hobby, and if something like that floats your boat, then have at it. I am into strictly 1/10th and 1/8 nitro on-road and some people think that is a waste of time and money.But as for performance, I have yet to meet a satisfied owner of a car or truck modified this way.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
I have seen many 10th scales, one or two 1/8th scales and really countless off-road trucks,<Savage, Cen, and T-Maxx> set up with the superchargers, nitrious, and with the combination of both power adders, and I have not met one of the owners who was pleased with the outcome.Dial in the cost factor, and other than a 'WOW' factor, it seems like such a waste of time and money.But again, to each their own, as it is a hobby, and if something like that floats your boat, then have at it. I am into strictly 1/10th and 1/8 nitro on-road and some people think that is a waste of time and money.But as for performance, I have yet to meet a satisfied owner of a car or truck modified this way.
Makes two of us...especially with the parasitic drag of the supercharger.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Very Cool. Is that an HPI or Tamiya body?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Default i will get a vid this weekend..

as for set up and tune it was pretty simple.. as for horsepower absolutely insane!!!!!!! thing will blow the tires clean off... i have owned and sold many of the rb products as well as micro boost and for the most part i have never had any issues.. the problems i had in the past was easily fixed with the rb hyper-vale it keeps constant fuel pressure to the carb.. i have and eb mod os 21 v-spec with nitrious on a xxxnt how that for insane... as a racer these bolt on modifications would be pointless, but man what great way rip up a parking lot... when i pull the engine of to service ill put it on the ol desktop dyno and upload charts..
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weasel View Post
Very Cool. Is that an HPI or Tamiya body?

its the hpi
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
Tech Addict

sure it might work, but so much of it is wasted energy really.

Im not trying to shoot you down or anything, but supercharging a 2-stroke engine is technically impossible to an extent. They are already "technically" supercharged already through the use of tuned-pipes.

But kudos to making it, its a real good piece of art!!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear View Post
sure it might work, but so much of it is wasted energy really.

Im not trying to shoot you down or anything, but supercharging a 2-stroke engine is technically impossible to an extent. They are already "technically" supercharged already through the use of tuned-pipes.

But kudos to making it, its a real good piece of art!!
I'm not sure how this logic goes.

The process of supercharging forces more air into the engine allowing more fuel to be added and thus creating more power. I'm not sure how a tuned pipe does this. A tuned pipe controls scavaging and, properly tuned, prevents raw fuel from escaping the cyclinder through the exhaust port during the brief moment when intake and exhaust ports are both open.

With a belt driven supercharger (vs. a exhuast driven Turbo-supercharger) it requires power to make power thus if a supercharger adds 100hp but requres 20 to do so it only adds a net 80 hp. On a small scale engine, its a question of efficency.

Now the OP says he has this working and it develops a lot more power. His would be the first I've seen where it works well enough for the person to be happy with it. I'd love to see video of it.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:39 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Exactly, you're not wrong there.

But here is what I know - dont take it word for word, I might have confused something with another thing, but its what Ive learnt before.

A tuned pipe is more or less specifically designed to create peak power at a particular RPM in its design, but that would be pointless if it worked like that - crap power everywhere else, and then BAM!! Power!!) So in its design (im not EXACTLY sure how hey make tuned pipes) the manufacturers design them so that they behave the way they do today - heaps of power up top, or on the bottom end, or for more efficiency, whatever.
The way it acts as a supercharger is that the pulse from the cylinder )sound wave) travels down the manifold and through the tuned pipe, and after it reaches the expansion chamber (i think its called) and reaches the part where the diameter gets smaller, this sound wave gets sent back to the combustion chamber to create this 'plugging' effect, and whatever is already being sent into the chamber is forced in via its momentum and there is what is basically its own supercharging effect. The shorter the path, the better the higher RPM will be, and vice versa.

Obviously it would be terrible to make one specifically for a certain range and leave the rest horrible, so they counter for that and make it all good i guess. Hard process, but they know what they are doing

By introducing a supercharger, this plugging effect could possibly be entirely destroyed as its negating that plugging effect, and just sending more air/fuel through than needed. Im not saying it WILL NOT work, just that it would be way better in a 4-stroke situation where the exhaust is closed during the intake stroke.

Phieeewwwww...
Old 07-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

forced induction has been successfully used on 2-strokes, BUT, they are mainly on diesel 2 strokes, and the gas ones like Snowmobiles are not like what we run. The problem with trying to used forced induction on piston port 2 strokes, is the intake transfers are open at the same time the exhaust port opens, so all you are gonna do is push that air/fuel mix up through the transfer and straight out the exhaust.

Might look cool...but its novelty at best. If you dont believe, i suggest doing some research.

HPI Firestorm 10T // Hyper .21 Bigblock Power
HPI RS4 EVO+ // Hyper .21 Bigblock Power
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote