R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-14-2005, 09:10 AM   #316
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
Mark, you are up again... When can we expect an update on the FAQ forum with all the speed trix learned in Ft Myers?
You mean you read it?
I hope to have some updates at the end of next week.

Oh man, this Jet-Lag is pretty crappy - I only wanted to sleep a couple of hours after getting in, but I slept 6 in total.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #317
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
Also, a big thank you to all the snake guys in Ft Myers for all their advise and eagerness to make everyone go faster. MolzerMoweryRacing will be back again next year for sure. only 51 weeks to go....
This was very impressive - the readyness of the guys to help out whenever was amazing.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #318
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
This was very impressive - the readyness of the guys to help out whenever was amazing.
Hey Mark sorry that i didnt get to meet you i was tied up with my son and work . But maybe next year, Did you get to meet bobby?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #319
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.J
Hey Mark sorry that i didnt get to meet you i was tied up with my son and work . But maybe next year, Did you get to meet bobby?
Hi Marcos - no problem. I did get to meet Bobby - he's a real nice guy In fact all the RCTECHers which I met where really great guys.

Bobby did really great in his final - it was nice to see him go home with a win after so little practice!!

I'll be back next year and hope to meet up with everyone again.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:48 AM   #320
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Marcos - no problem. I did get to meet Bobby - he's a real nice guy In fact all the RCTECHers which I met where really great guys.

Bobby did really great in his final - it was nice to see him go home with a win after so little practice!!

I'll be back next year and hope to meet up with everyone again.
he did really good ,i think that was his first time ever at the track
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #321
Tech Elite

Quote:
Old 02-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #322
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Quote:
It was his first time there and he drove 4 hours in the morning to make the qualifiers for 1 day and drove back and did the same for his main on Friday. I kinda screwed up Bobby's and Mark's plans due to some unforseen circumstances so this made them have to scramble to make other arrangements. Trust me when I say I would have rather been there but this is how life goes.

I also think he would have done better if he had his 710, but that is my personal opinion but he did good none the less.
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:13 AM   #323
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
It was his first time there and he drove 4 hours in the morning to make the qualifiers for 1 day and drove back and did the same for his main on Friday. I kinda screwed up Bobby's and Mark's plans due to some unforseen circumstances so this made them have to scramble to make other arrangements. Trust me when I say I would have rather been there but this is how life goes.

I also think he would have done better if he had his 710, but that is my personal opinion but he did good none the less.

Hi Kreidel, no problem regarding the plans - everything worked out fine in the end

Cheers, Mark.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:31 AM   #324
Tech Addict

My article and photos are being sent in to RC Car Action, but here's the summary of what happened out on the track in the A-Mains...

1/10 Outlaw Main:
The Outlaw Class only had one heat, so all the racers made the A-Main. With so few entries, it will be interesting to see if this class continues in the future. Jim Rice, the Race Director, was TQ. He had a receiver pack short out and catch fire before the race, but borrowed a replacement pack from another racer. When the race started, Jim certainly got no respect from the other cars – at times his car seemed to be a moving target. With a wide mix of racer ability, it was a pretty rough Main, with lots of crashing and bashing. Doug Darby was out after only one lap. Arnold Mercado lasted 129 laps before being taken out of the race. Kevin Hutchinson lasted two laps longer. Marc Unger drove a nice line, and did the best at staying out of trouble. He won the 45-minute Main, followed by Jarrod Pilone. Jarrod started in 6th, moved up to 3rd, then crashed bad and was off the track for ten laps for repairs. He got out again and found himself moving up in the standings as other cars had problems and dropped out. Allen Denzine drove a good race and was up near the top when he had problems. He finished in third place.

The finishing results were:
Marc Unger Serpent 835
Jarrod Pilone Serpent 835
Allen Denzine Serpent 835
Geoff Young Mugen MTX-3
Jim Rice Serpent 835
Juan Lopez Serpent 835
Julian Hope Serpent 710
Kevin Hutchinson Mugen MTX-3
Arnold Mercado Mugen MTX-3
Doug Darby Serpent

200mm A-Main
The 200mm A-Main got off to a rough start in more ways than one. Michael Salven (TQ) grabbed the lead, but then crashed. Mikey Swauger took over the lead, and started pulling away from the other cars, but after only a few laps Robert Poage, the race announcer, called everyone back for a re-start – the computer didn’t start when the cars did. The next start was better, and Michael took off in the lead, followed by Mikey Swauger and Scotty Gray. Michael’s car didn’t seem to be acting right, and Mikey quickly got by and started pulling away, building up a nice lead. Paolo Morganti was in the middle of things, but his transponder wasn’t working properly, and nobody knew quite where he was – which seemed to be right near Scotty Gray. Scotty was driving quickly and smoothly, and building up a lead on the rest of the cars. The lap times tell it all – Mikey was in the range of 13.0 to 13.3 seconds, Michael was in the range of 13.2 to 13.5 seconds, and Scotty was in the range of 13.3 to 13.6 seconds. Mikey seemed to be on the road to repeat last year’s win of this class, when on lap #22 his car went dead with a blown clutch. With Swauger out of action, Scotty took over the lead, followed by DJ Apolaro, an electric racer who recently started gas racing. Michael Salven’s car seemed to be getting worse as the race went on, traction rolling quite often. Brandon McNally worked his way up to third place, and was trying to get by DJ when DJ spun out. Brandon hit DJ, and his car got spun around, only to get clobbered by Paul Coleman’s OFNA. DJ was OK, as was Paul, but Brandon’s car had the suspension on one side destroyed, and that was the end of his race. Rene Cornella, the designer of the Serpent 710, and Darin Ishitani, a new Mugen racer, were fighting for third place. Rene seemed to have third position tied down, but on lap #181, a few minutes before the end of the race, he suffered problems and had to drop out, allowing Darin Ishitani to take over third.

The finishing results were:
Scotty Gray Serpent 710
D.J. Apolaro Serpent 710
Darin Ishitani Mugen MTX-3
Rene Cornella Serpent 710
Paul Coleman OFNA Hyper GPX4
Paolo Morganti Serpent 710
Brandon McNally Serpent 710
Michael Salven Serpent 710
Uriah Murnan Kyosho RRR
Mikey Swauger Mugen MTX-3

1/8 4WD A-Main
This was the big one, the race everyone was waiting to see. Anyone near the track headed over to watch the 45-minute long battle.

The race got off to a good start. Mikey Swauger (TQ) took the lead, with Michael Salven right behind, followed by Scotty Gray. Mikey bobbled, and Michael got past, with the two of them starting to pull away from the other cars. On lap #7 Michael and Mikey tangled in the hairpin before the timing line. Mikey got the worst of it, with his car being rolled over. In a nice display of sportsmanship, Michael waited for Mikey’s car to be marshaled, before the two of them took off and resumed the race. Meanwhile Scotty had gone by to take the lead. Michael took over second, but Mikey passed him on the next lap. In nine laps Mikey caught up to Scotty, taking over the lead. Michael meanwhile seemed to be having problems. His car wasn’t handling right, and he got involved in several crashes. On lap #71 Scotty got into a crash, requiring a trip to the pits for repairs. On lap #73 Marco Vinni had problems, which took several laps to get sorted out. As the race neared the half-way point, Mikey had built up a two lap lead over the field. Michael came into the pits for repairs, and came back out. Mikey, who was just ahead of Michael, moved over to let Michael by, but Michael then crashed right in front of the driver’s stand. The positions seemed to be pretty stable for the second half of the race. On lap #122 Scotty got into a bad crash, taking him out of the race. On lap #148 Ted Hammer got into a crash, taking him out of the race as well. With about 10 minutes to go, Mikey’s engine went rich, and he came in for a tuning adjustment. With 8 ½ minutes left, Mikey’s car started to look a bit loose out on the track, and he yelled down to his pit crew to check the rear shocks. He came in, but his pit crew found that it was just the rear body mount that had gotten out of shape, which was quickly fixed. Mikey’s lead had dropped down to only one lap. Michael was now back out on the track, near Mikey’s car, and this time Mikey just put down the hammer and started putting in lap times like the ones he did early on in the race. Paolo Morganti was only one lap down on Mikey, and was doing his best to catch up, but on lap #190 his motor blew, taking him out of the race. As the race came to an end, there were only four cars out on the track, Mikey in the lead, followed by Chuck Moon, Marco Vinni, and Dave Campbell.

Results:
Mikey Swauger Mugen MRX-4
Chuck Moon Serpent 950R
Marco Vanni Mugen MRX-4
Dave Campbell Delta XP4
Paolo Morganti Serpent 950R
Michael Salven Serpent 950R
Darin Ishitani Mugen MRX-4
Ted Hammer Delta XP4
Scotty Gray Serpent 950R
Rick V. Serpent 950R

Last edited by mikemyers; 02-14-2005 at 11:12 AM.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #325
Suspended

ANY PICS TODAY MIKE?CHOCO
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #326
Tech Regular

Great race report Mike !!!!
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #327
Tech Addict

Thanks - I just edited it, to add something I forgot. Eric reminded me how when Michael and Mikey tangled, Michael waited for Mikey's car to be marshaled before the two of them resumed the race. Nice sportsmanship!!!!

Choco, no pictures. They're all going off to the magazine this year. For that matter, I haven't even downloaded them from my camera cards yet. Maybe tonight.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #328
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by mikemyers
Thanks - I just edited it, to add something I forgot. Eric reminded me how when Michael and Mikey tangled, Michael waited for Mikey's car to be marshaled before the two of them resumed the race. Nice sportsmanship!!!!

Choco, no pictures. They're all going off to the magazine this year. For that matter, I haven't even downloaded them from my camera cards yet. Maybe tonight.
ok thanks mike....
RBCHOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #329
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel

Goes to show that one needs multiple backups! First I let Mark down then you had something up ... luckily the RC community is a bunch of great and helpful guys.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:21 PM   #330
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hi Kreidel, no problem regarding the plans - everything worked out fine in the end

Cheers, Mark.
Mark...glad to hear to had a great time. It was a pleasure meeting you in person. Maybe Slow will join up next year

All I can say is that there was enough traction on the track to last several years!!
JustRace is offline   Reply With Quote