R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 137
Default Which 1/10 touring should I get?

Basically our local track got repaved and upgraded since the old asphalt was not decent enough for lower scale cars (F1, 1/10 touring, Pancar...). We used to race 1/8 GT but now that we have a decent surface the guys decided to open the 1/10 Touring class. I am looking to get into this class and wondered what car will do best in my situation.

Since I am located in the Dominican Republic parts are limited here and most of the time I end up ordering overseas (TowerHobbies, AmainHobbies).

I was thinking about a NT1 but did a little homework and noticed that parts are priced in some cases twice even 3 times more expensive than other cars, I know quality is superior and the cars are proven but for now I cant justify paying twice for parts like belts that are parts that wear out by time.

Second option is the Mugen MTX4R, A friend of mine got this car last week and I like it a lot craftsmanship looks good and parts are cheap compared to the Xray, my only concern is that it's a 2007 chassis and does not come with the upgraded goodies other cars come with, My main fear is it not being competitive enough with the more newer cars and the aftermarket for upgraded parts.

Third option is the Serpent 733 which is very well made and parts seem cheap as well as the Mugen.

As far as wear and tear I would like to know which are the parts that wear out frequently on this class, also how often should the belts be replaced?

Thanks
arix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

NT1, great car, can't go wrong.

Mugen is still a great car but the new one will be out by the end of the year.

Capricorn, Shepherd, Kyosho are all excellent as well. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: (Holiday, Fl.) (CST.Allentown, Pa.)
Posts: 1,252
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
NT1, great car, can't go wrong.

Mugen is still a great car but the new one will be out by the end of the year.

Capricorn, Shepherd, Kyosho are all excellent as well. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
+1 if you need one lmk got a back up nt1 to sell
RANDY SMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Go Serpent.

It will offer you world class performance without breaking piggy bank. Only the Serpent 733 comes with their unique DLS system.


Also for best online help look here:
www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arix View Post
Basically our local track got repaved and upgraded since the old asphalt was not decent enough for lower scale cars (F1, 1/10 touring, Pancar...). We used to race 1/8 GT but now that we have a decent surface the guys decided to open the 1/10 Touring class. I am looking to get into this class and wondered what car will do best in my situation.

Since I am located in the Dominican Republic parts are limited here and most of the time I end up ordering overseas (TowerHobbies, AmainHobbies).

I was thinking about a NT1 but did a little homework and noticed that parts are priced in some cases twice even 3 times more expensive than other cars, I know quality is superior and the cars are proven but for now I cant justify paying twice for parts like belts that are parts that wear out by time.

Second option is the Mugen MTX4R, A friend of mine got this car last week and I like it a lot craftsmanship looks good and parts are cheap compared to the Xray, my only concern is that it's a 2007 chassis and does not come with the upgraded goodies other cars come with, My main fear is it not being competitive enough with the more newer cars and the aftermarket for upgraded parts.

Third option is the Serpent 733 which is very well made and parts seem cheap as well as the Mugen.

As far as wear and tear I would like to know which are the parts that wear out frequently on this class, also how often should the belts be replaced?

Thanks
go for the brand which u can the parts easier in yr country
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
Q-B0R0 B0MBER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: QUEENS,NEW YORK
Posts: 525
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default NT1 ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!1

PRIMO TAKE IT FROM YOUR DOMINICAN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!I WOULD GET THE NT1 THE PARTS ARE A LITTLE BIT MORE EXPENSIVE FOR A REASON BRO THE HARDLY BREAK IVE RUN THE NT1 AND HAD THE SERPENT THE NT1 BY FAR IS BETTER QUALITY AND IN MY OPINION A BETTER CAR ALL THE WAY AROUND !!!!!!!!
Q-B0R0 B0MBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
impalabob64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: florida
Posts: 1,464
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to impalabob64
Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-B0R0 B0MBER View Post
PRIMO TAKE IT FROM YOUR DOMINICAN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!I WOULD GET THE NT1 THE PARTS ARE A LITTLE BIT MORE EXPENSIVE FOR A REASON BRO THE HARDLY BREAK IVE RUN THE NT1 AND HAD THE SERPENT THE NT1 BY FAR IS BETTER QUALITY AND IN MY OPINION A BETTER CAR ALL THE WAY AROUND !!!!!!!!
Sup Ron an what happen between your NT1 my HK1 ,oh an just finished My HK1 Evosee ya Sunday .
__________________
RoninRc.com
MurnanModifiedMotors
Basher BT-4
impalabob64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 137
Default

Thanks for the help guys! Seems like the nt1 is the car to get, I still like the serpent but if I find a nt1 in good shape I will get that!
arix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

wise dicision. i`ve been racing the NT1 for 3 years now along with the other brands wich my race friends have. All of those brands have problems.

But xray don`t. its just racing and no problem fixing.

Get the optional brakedisc and thats it.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,440
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiewie View Post
wise dicision. i`ve been racing the NT1 for 3 years now along with the other brands wich my race friends have. All of those brands have problems.

But xray don`t. its just racing and no problem fixing.

Get the optional brakedisc and thats it.
- Stock Xray clutch no good for serious competition. (needs different shoe and spring at least)
-Stock gearbox no good for serious competition. (needs the harder springs)
-Shocks need different O-rings and membranes
-Brakes, different pads and disk needed.
-Too much play on ballcups even when they are new.


Every brand has issues, even Xray JW.
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
Tech Master
 
bobbyblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze
Default

well if its 1/8th the Serpent 966 have nooo again nooo issues at all
__________________
Arrma Nero 6s, Ofna DM-1 Pro
Traxxas Revo 3.3, Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3, Traxxas Jato 3.3
Traxxas Slash Platinum, Traxxas Slash 2WD
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
SOLOARTIST 702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: WORLD WIDE
Posts: 3,393
Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arix View Post
Basically our local track got repaved and upgraded since the old asphalt was not decent enough for lower scale cars (F1, 1/10 touring, Pancar...). We used to race 1/8 GT but now that we have a decent surface the guys decided to open the 1/10 Touring class. I am looking to get into this class and wondered what car will do best in my situation.

Since I am located in the Dominican Republic parts are limited here and most of the time I end up ordering overseas (TowerHobbies, AmainHobbies).

I was thinking about a NT1 but did a little homework and noticed that parts are priced in some cases twice even 3 times more expensive than other cars, I know quality is superior and the cars are proven but for now I cant justify paying twice for parts like belts that are parts that wear out by time.

Second option is the Mugen MTX4R, A friend of mine got this car last week and I like it a lot craftsmanship looks good and parts are cheap compared to the Xray, my only concern is that it's a 2007 chassis and does not come with the upgraded goodies other cars come with, My main fear is it not being competitive enough with the more newer cars and the aftermarket for upgraded parts.

Third option is the Serpent 733 which is very well made and parts seem cheap as well as the Mugen.

As far as wear and tear I would like to know which are the parts that wear out frequently on this class, also how often should the belts be replaced?

Thanks
all i will say is you better do your homework look at what people are running look at whos running it and look at what people have left and where did they go look to people that travel to different tracks that way you get a sense of the setup range if you dont youll be stuck look at support thats my 2cents trust me i understand your concern about pricing but make sure you determine why pricing is different good luck welcome to 1/10 onroad nitro r/c racing
__________________
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Tech Adept
 
EEL Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 242
Default

All of the big brands make very competitive cars in the right hands.
Go for the one that's easy to deal with when you have to deal with running maintenance and parts
I've got a Serpent 733 and it's been amazing. A few teething issues out of the box but all cars have teething issues
For me in Australia, Walter RC are amazing with Serpent parts and the car is EASY to work on, so it's great!!!
__________________
Serpent 733TE / Reds M3T
LRP S8BX Team / Go MP5 7pt
Tamiya F104 Pro
EEL Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
Tech Adept
 
EEL Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 242
Default

Also be prepared for the fact that all brands wil require Hop-up bits in some way shape or form to perform at the highest level
__________________
Serpent 733TE / Reds M3T
LRP S8BX Team / Go MP5 7pt
Tamiya F104 Pro
EEL Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Serpent-Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Best bang for the price is hands down the Serpent 733 Evo. The car is also great to drive. Very responsive to set-up changes and a nice sweet spot. No problems with the clutch. Now for the money the Capricorn is a little more expensive but it has all the best of the best, STOCK!
__________________
Inf1nity CM Beat1 Racing
Serpent-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP 1/10 Touring zafira2310 Indonesia Racing 10142 06-19-2010 12:09 AM
what touring car should i get? steven9d3 Electric On-Road 38 01-20-2008 07:05 PM
New 1/10 Touring Car ttektek Electric On-Road 63 03-21-2005 02:56 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:10 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net