R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Unhappy idles ok, give throttle, die...help?!

So i have this inferno gt and I have just been having nightmares with tuning it. Ive tried just about everything but it still continues to struggle with me. I can get the thing to idle but when i give it throttle it just dies. I have changed out the o rings with authentic kyosho ones on low speed and high and it still is giving me the same results. One of the time though when i completely disassembled the engine and put it back together it ran perfectly but when I tried running it that same day it started acting up again. Any one have any experience with this model or suggestions on what I can do to get it running? Thanks
zx636rider03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx636rider03 View Post
So i have this inferno gt and I have just been having nightmares with tuning it. Ive tried just about everything but it still continues to struggle with me. I can get the thing to idle but when i give it throttle it just dies. I have changed out the o rings with authentic kyosho ones on low speed and high and it still is giving me the same results. One of the time though when i completely disassembled the engine and put it back together it ran perfectly but when I tried running it that same day it started acting up again. Any one have any experience with this model or suggestions on what I can do to get it running? Thanks
My suggestion is to get a HOT glow plug. Using a hot plug will make it much easier to tune your engine because a HOT plug will will keep a rich engine running. Once you get the engine running you can tune the carburetor.

Good luck,

Lee
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Save yourself all the nightmares and get a different engine. I been running nitro for years and I still had a difficult time running those engines that come with the gt and gt2. You can pick up a very good reliable engine for less than $200. I honestly think those engine draw people away from GT racing, they are a pain in the a**

I had the same thing happening with a new kyosho gt2. It would iddle and when I would hit the throttle the engine would die. HOT glow plug is a good idea, I also used a heat gun before trying to start the engine, that seemed to solved the problem for me. I still got rid of that paper weight.

It gets really frustrating thou because the engine doesn't hold a tune very well. NOT GOOD AT ALL FOR RACING PURPOSES.
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx636rider03 View Post
I ran the stock engine until it blew up which wasn't all that long. My first car, GT1 would eat rear crankshaft bearings. My 2nd car, GT2 broke the crankshaft.

I went to a LRP .28 engine and I am very happy with it. They cost about $170 and are very fast and reliable. My engine is 2 years old and I have not changed anything but the glow plug in it. I upgraded the pipe and header to the THS8015 and this pipe works very well with the LRP.

I agree with Gonzo that the best solution is to go to a different engine.

Lee
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Tech Master

You are new in the thread. two needles. 1st the HSN, 2nd the Idle speed screw, 3rd the LSN. I that order. When you get it running, the HSN maybe flush with the housing. Turn HSN 1/8th turn. bumo the throttle. It stalls, Turn HSN anotger 1/8 turn. Repeat till it stays running with throttle open. Then adjust idle speed. It may rise. during the HSN adjustment. repeat the HSN Adjust till it stay running. Checking idle speed. Last adjustment would be LSN. TurnLSN needle CW slowly. It takes some time to react. Idle speed will rise, when it does, you're in a lean ciondition. Turn LSN CCW till the idle just drops. LSN should be the last adjustment. Next day of running, Engine cold, turn HSN 1/2 turn CCW to richen when engine cold. and always retune. by the HSN. Idle speed & LSN is alway constant. Its all fuel flow. Fuel flow is regulated by the HSN.

Good luck!! if its your first Nitro. Just be patient. Once you get the adjustment correct and running Its fun. Then upgrade to better engine and It'll be easier.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to revoracer10

i would check ur glow plugs and high and low needles just to start out with it could be something else tho