Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Accuracy of Capricorn Tyres. >

Accuracy of Capricorn Tyres.

Accuracy of Capricorn Tyres.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Accuracy of Capricorn Tyres.

I am very sorry, english not my first language, i use google to translate.

Today I make switch to Capricorn 1/10 tires.

But I found few problems, me no understand.

1) The front tyres measure 27.4mm - I checked 4 seperate boxes, and also friends box.

Capricorn are well outside our rules. Other brands I check with same digital calipars are inside rules (26mm & 30mm )

2) The rear tyres measure 31.05mm....again I checked this on maybe 4 or 5 boxes

3) The tyres out of the box are very diffrent when checked on tyre durometer. I checked many boxes of 37 shore, some measured as low as 28!!!! Ofcourse, I crossed checked this on many different sets, aswell as other brands like ATS and Kyosho, but Capricorn have very large difference compared to other brand

So i ask the question..... maybe i got bad batch of tyres? or is this normal?

What brand of tyres do you racer find are most accurate in shores when checking them on durometer

thank you.
Leonardo.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Ive had 2 problems with my recent batch of capricorn tires..

1. i took a pair of 37 shore rears out of the packet and they felt so soft, the durometer measured them at 30 shore! then another pair of 37 rears out of the box said 35 on the durometer

2. my car was good at the start of the final but then it just started hooking left to right in the middle of the corner. i pulled out of the race to see what was causing this and found that both rears were pealing off the rim and also one of the fronts had the same problem

has anyone else had these issues?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

first of all, most tyres out of the box do not have accurate ratings until they have been trued down a bit

second it depends where you press down on the tyre with the durometer

third it depends on how much foam is on the rim

fourth, you speak perfect english because you always post on the aussie forum. my guess is you are a regular user who has created a fake username to post jibberish.

Do as i say: cut a hole in your skull, get the durometer and place it on your exposed brain, the higher the shore rating, the less grey cells you have

John, you wouldn't happen to know who this HPI racer guy is would you?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Tech Addict

Its also better do have an oversized rim, then to have an undersized one.

Just true them down to size. I noticed that as well with Capricorn wheels.

I wont get started in this fight if it does break out Good luck TomB
Old 06-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HPIRacer79
I am very sorry, english not my first language, i use google to translate.

Today I make switch to Capricorn 1/10 tires.

But I found few problems, me no understand.

1) The front tyres measure 27.4mm - I checked 4 seperate boxes, and also friends box.

Capricorn are well outside our rules. Other brands I check with same digital calipars are inside rules (26mm & 30mm )

2) The rear tyres measure 31.05mm....again I checked this on maybe 4 or 5 boxes

3) The tyres out of the box are very diffrent when checked on tyre durometer. I checked many boxes of 37 shore, some measured as low as 28!!!! Ofcourse, I crossed checked this on many different sets, aswell as other brands like ATS and Kyosho, but Capricorn have very large difference compared to other brand

So i ask the question..... maybe i got bad batch of tyres? or is this normal?

What brand of tyres do you racer find are most accurate in shores when checking them on durometer

thank you.
Leonardo.
Well said Mr Tohmeh

Originally Posted by TomB
first of all, most tyres out of the box do not have accurate ratings until they have been trued down a bit

second it depends where you press down on the tyre with the durometer

third it depends on how much foam is on the rim

fourth, you speak perfect english because you always post on the aussie forum. my guess is you are a regular user who has created a fake username to post jibberish.

Do as i say: cut a hole in your skull, get the durometer and place it on your exposed brain, the higher the shore rating, the less grey cells you have

John, you wouldn't happen to know who this HPI racer guy is would you?
TomB you know who HPI is ............

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear

DJ just don't say anything at all PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! otherwise I'm sure Bargs will answer anything you have to ask
Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear

he is talking about the width of rims, not diameter. if the carbon rim is 27mm wide, then you need to make them narrower, id rather use a different brand than use my Hudy tip to narrow carbon rims
Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
he is talking about the width of rims, not diameter. if the carbon rim is 27mm wide, then you need to make them narrower, id rather use a different brand than use my Hudy tip to narrow carbon rims
Hey Patto i think if i remember the rules are maximum width is 30mm + 1mm rears there isnt a maximum width on the front tyres, but i could be wrong and i cant be bothered looking up the rules
Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wild, I just went and checked the set I bought the other week, 27.5mm front, like 31.20 rear...

The main thing I noticed with mine, when I tipped the rears out of the box to fit mine, one rear was 1mm larger than the other, awkward when I don't own a tyre truer just yet.

On the upside, they do look awfully pretty...
Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mike Schroder
Hey Patto i think if i remember the rules are maximum width is 30mm + 1mm rears there isnt a maximum width on the front tyres, but i could be wrong and i cant be bothered looking up the rules
Hmm, just went and had a look myself, I think your right, max wheel width = 30.00 + 1mm tolerance, tyre width across sidewalls 31.00mm, nothing about front wheels by the looks of it.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Tech Regular

EFRA rules say the tire is allowed to be 31mm wide, both front and rear.

So, they are EFRA legal...
Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bishop
Hmm, just went and had a look myself, I think your right, max wheel width = 30.00 + 1mm tolerance, tyre width across sidewalls 31.00mm, nothing about front wheels by the looks of it.
i dont have capricorn rims, but what is the actual rim , not tyre measurement. sometimes the foam is wider than the rim, if its just the foam, then its no problem at all. but if the rim is what everyone is measuring, then hmmmm sounds like they are over the maximum tolerance by 0.02-0.05mm just anotehr avenue for the unaware racer to get hammered by tech for the manufacturer to push the absolute limits of the rules.

Bishop, if one is 1mm bigger in diameter, then put it on the wearing side, sweeper at brendale, put it on the left rear. wont take long to wear down to even.

Last edited by Pattojnr; 06-06-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Schroder
Well said Mr Tohmeh

TomB you know who HPI is ............

DJ just don't say anything at all PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! otherwise I'm sure Bargs will answer anything you have to ask
I seriously can not believe how you guys still havent worked out who HPIRacer is
Old 06-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

i dont have capricorn rims, but what is the actual rim , not tyre measurement. sometimes the foam is wider than the rim, if its just the foam, then its no problem at all. but if the rim is what everyone is measuring, then hmmmm sounds like they are over the maximum tolerance by 0.02-0.05mm

Bishop, if one is 1mm bigger in diameter, then put it on the wearing side, sweeper at brendale, put it on the left rear. wont take long to wear down to even.
Patto, yes the rim has always been 1mm over. Hence when people switch to these tires feel instant traction.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

i can tell you that brand "X" i use measure Front 26.15mm Rear 30.30mm and have checked about 4 sets, all exactly the same through out the boxes.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

i dont have capricorn rims, but what is the actual rim , not tyre measurement. sometimes the foam is wider than the rim, if its just the foam, then its no problem at all. but if the rim is what everyone is measuring, then hmmmm sounds like they are over the maximum tolerance by 0.02-0.05mm just anotehr avenue for the unaware racer to get hammered by tech for the manufacturer to push the absolute limits of the rules.

Yeah it's the rims I'm measuring off with mine, the foam does not protrude out much on them anyway, actually if you measure all around the rim, it varies as much as .5mm on my fronts...

And the left wear won't always work out on these, been running foams on the electric, and running an inside short track at EPR, which gives almost dead even wear left to right...
(Although we rotate back to the short this friday, so should be ok ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.