Wiki Posts
Search

Accuracy of Capricorn Tyres.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Novarossi
Patto, yes the rim has always been 1mm over. Hence when people switch to these tires feel instant traction.
because we all know 1mm ='s ton's of traction

the grip comes from the stiffness of the rim, that's all. don't believe the hype. For a stiff rim, get the GQ tyres, they are cheaper and just as good

soft rims for low traction tracks, harder rims for high traction tracks.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bishop
Hmm, just went and had a look myself, I think your right, max wheel width = 30.00 + 1mm tolerance, tyre width across sidewalls 31.00mm, nothing about front wheels by the looks of it.
most rims are 31mm. from memory the GQ's were the same. most people hit the inside and outside with a file and it is just enough to lower it to 30mm, really it's just the rim, you aren't getting more foam. you loose at least 2mm's of foam contact when you curve the outside edge of a tyre anyway, so this extra mm means nothing.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomB
because we all know 1mm ='s ton's of traction

the grip comes from the stiffness of the rim, that's all. don't believe the hype. For a stiff rim, get the GQ tyres, they are cheaper and just as good

soft rims for low traction tracks, harder rims for high traction tracks.
I won't bother...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I won't bother...
Well for someone who hasnt raced for years and could barely make an A final he sure knows a lot about tires/traction.

What was raised here was that a set of 37`s measured in as 28 shore..... Now this was backed to back with other tires from different manufacturers and different boxes of the same manufacturer.

being 1 or 2 shores out probably isnt a big deal but to be almost 10 shores out is......
Old 06-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by barg
Well for someone who hasnt raced for years and could barely make an A final he sure knows a lot about tires/traction.

What was raised here was that a set of 37`s measured in as 28 shore..... Now this was backed to back with other tires from different manufacturers and different boxes of the same manufacturer.

being 1 or 2 shores out probably isnt a big deal but to be almost 10 shores out is......
ahhh, i hear too much of this TomB man here in italy. this is the man who make upside down shock famous no? we always need funny boy to make us laugh very much.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by barg

hence why I said I won't bother with him...

Originally Posted by HPIRacer79
ahhh, i hear too much of this TomB man here in italy. this is the man who make upside down shock famous no? we always need funny boy to make us laugh very much.
hahaha, you kill me bro
Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Who is this masked superhero??????
Old 06-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am very sorry, english not my first language, i use google to translate.

Today I make switch to Capricorn 1/10 tires.

But I found few problems, me no understand.

1) The front tyres measure 27.4mm - I checked 4 seperate boxes, and also friends box.

Capricorn are well outside our rules. Other brands I check with same digital calipars are inside rules (26mm & 30mm )

2) The rear tyres measure 31.05mm....again I checked this on maybe 4 or 5 boxes

3) The tyres out of the box are very diffrent when checked on tyre durometer. I checked many boxes of 37 shore, some measured as low as 28!!!! Ofcourse, I crossed checked this on many different sets, aswell as other brands like ATS and Kyosho, but Capricorn have very large difference compared to other brand

So i ask the question..... maybe i got bad batch of tyres? or is this normal?

What brand of tyres do you racer find are most accurate in shores when checking them on durometer

thank you.
Leonardo.
Hi Leonardo,

-Under EFRA ruling it is allowed to have 31mm tires/rims all around. Sometimes the rears are beyond 31mm, but a small touch with the file you also use to round the edges will get them back to 31mm. Personally I rather have a tire which is a bit wider so I can get them to the maximum allowed width.
A 1mm wider tire does make a difference, because of the increased contact patch you will have less wear with the same shore of tires. Sometimes this makes the difference in being able to finish a main final with 42 rears or 40 rears.

-As mentioned by others, it is very hard to get a accurate measuring with a normal durometer. The normal durometers are made to use with normal rubber tires, with the foams you will need a different one to accurately measure the tires. At least this has been my own experience.

If you think your measurement is accurate put the tires on the car and start driving. If they really are 28 shore tires you should wear them out within 5-10 minutes if you are a reasonable driver. If they last 20+ minutes you might want to look at the accuracy of your measurement.

Last edited by DS Motorsport; 06-06-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

I ran the 2nd box of 37s that felt harder but stillr egistered as 35 shore
car was super grippy for 5 minutes then started to spin out mid corner .. i tried to fight it and turn down the steering trim but no change. i brang it in the pits to check for anything broken and all i could see was the tires peeling off the rim

in that 10 mins or less they wore out about 4mm on a track which is very low tire wear

on previous capricorn tires i could run a 30 min final and still have plenty meat on the tires
Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Thread of the week

You pr&@ks crack me up.
All of this because someone is frustrated.

Thomas you upside-down shock guru, you have done it againwith your grip comes from the rims, damn here I am gluing rubber on the stupid things trying to make them work where all I have to do is run just the rims. Santamaria!!!!!!!!

Leonardo. - what a crack up, I hope you don't wake up the neighbors with laughter each time you type in your name.

I think Johnny will bounce back from all of this a stronger wiser driver.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Tech Champion

I won't bother...
yeah, normally i wouldn't bother answering back to your replies either Micheal but in this case i will. I was talking about traction, because someone on the first page mentioned the rim width and correlated this with the argument about traction....that's why i bothered.

Secondly i think my initial response on the first page answered hpiracer79's question quite well. Whether you, Michael are hpiracer79 or not, well, i don't really give a toss.

Like i said in my first post on the first page:
Shore rating is affected by a whole host of things, these being;

-at what point of the tyres usage you are measuring it? ie is it fresh out of the box, or is it trued down to 59 mm?

-the rim's hardness, this affects the final measurement as the durometer is measuring not only the softness of the foam, but to some extent the give of the rim also

-the weather, ie has the foam been in the boot of your car all day in the heat? is the foam soft because of this, or is it a cold day? Foam, being a petroleum derivative, with a cell like structure will be affected by heat and cold

-the position at where you measure the foam. is there a join line at any point of the tyre you are using to measure with the durometer? if so this will affect the reading

-IS YOUR DUROMETER ACCURATE? or more specifically is the measurement reliable and consistent?

finally, why the hell are you using a durometer if you are going to smash or crash off the track and loose 15 seconds in a race?

if the foam "hardness" is significantly off, then you will notice this when you pop a set on the car.

So there Mike, i bothered answering your passive aggressive "i won't bother" condecending reply, and i hope it answered hpiracer79's question also.

by the way, HPIracer79; Build a bridge and get over it, if the tyres are so innacurate then save yourself the money and get some decent foams, there's a whole heap on the market. ...if however, you bought $400 worth of capricorn tyres before knowing that they are worth the $$ then...sorry mate, can't help you...only suggestion i have is try and sell them on the aussie for sale forum.

...and to those who are trying to have a go at me, stop laughing at others like nitwits and maybe have a look at yourselves, i'm sure there is something you can laugh about yoursleves. Humility starts at home people, remember that. There is a difference between having a jibe and being a d1ck
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kickass
You pr&@ks crack me up.
All of this because someone is frustrated.

Thomas you upside-down shock guru, you have done it againwith your grip comes from the rims, damn here I am gluing rubber on the stupid things trying to make them work where all I have to do is run just the rims. Santamaria!!!!!!!!
Alex, i'm not saying it is just the rim what i am saying is the rim plays a large part in how the car acts on the track. A stiffer rim provides better response on quick direction changes, a stiffer rim also provides lower wear.

If you read my post when i mentioned the stiffness of the rim i was talking about soft and hard rims, not just hard rims. read it properly i said at the end;

"soft rims for low traction tracks, harder rims for high traction tracks. "

so yeah, the grip comes partially from the rim, but no Alex, this does not mean you can just run the rim A softer rim gives more grip, a harder rim slightly less grip, it also depends on the track conditions.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Thomas, let me elaborate my i won't bother post.

HPIRacer (whoever the f#ck he is) asked a question about Capricorn tires.

You immediately felt the need to post a reply targeting my post about the 1mm difference.

So, the questions I would like you to answer (nothing more, nothing less if you can)

1. Have you ever used carbon rims before?

2. Have you ever held, felt or even used Capricorn rims?

3. Infact, how many years has it been since you last raced a car?

So I think you would probably agree, being the RC slut I am (with switching and trying the latest and greatest), I am in a better position then you are to comment on such topics.

Anyone else reading it would probably think you would of had a go at Kickass and Barg and not me, as their posts were more derogatory towards you then mine defiantly was.

Peace.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Tech Champion

my bad, i understood it differently. I thought "i won't bother" was some sort of smart arse response disregarding what i said and after i saw you quote barg and say "hence why i said i won't bother with him" i thought you were having a go at both what i said and the responses i provided.

I think you can agree that it can also be misunderstood from my end of the screen

POST NOTE: I think my experience over the many years i raced, and the logical and evidence based answers i provided should be enough for my answer to be help up as a valid response. Using the product counts, of course, but i have had enough experience with lightweight and hard rims to know what these two elements provide to an overall tyre package, and i have enough experience to know how a foam tyres works on several surfaces, in various conditions and with different variables in design
Old 06-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TomB
my bad, i understood it differently. I thought "i won't bother" was some sort of smart arse response disregarding what i said and after i saw you quote barg and say my point exactly i thought you were having a go at both what i said and the responses i provided.

I think you can agree that it can also be misunderstood from my end of the screen
Tom, don't take us seriously mate. At the end of the day, these are toy cars....

If you think our sledging and insults are bad on rctech, you should read the 20+ emails we send to each other daily.

Take it all with a grain of salt mate...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.