Wiki Posts
Search

HPI RS4 Evo+ Glow plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default HPI RS4 Evo+ Glow plug

I was looking to buy some spare glow plugs and it seems HPI R5 is the factory plug. Looked online and its around $8-10 or so a plug. Is there a cheaper other brand plug I can go with that will work? I was gonna order a few to have on hand and if I can save just a couple bucks on each thats quite a bit if I buy several.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Tech Addict

What type of plug is it? Standard or turbo?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Tech Initiate

If it is the stock .15 it takes a regular plug. Even the .18ss does too.

Matter of fact, I don't know of any stock engines HPI uses that use a turbo style plug...

Don't forget heat range can be effected by your location and running conditions.

HTH...
Mark
Old 06-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

problem solved..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCB27&P=ML
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

engine is HPI Nitro Star T3.0. Comes with cold plug standard.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i ran O'donnell Purple in my modded T3.0. Ran great with it. Run the same plug in my modded OS 18CVR's and modded Hyper 21 8ports. They are fairly cheap. Theres a company on fleabay that sells em for 5 for $12 shipped or so
Old 06-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default RS4 3evo set up

Greetings,
My 7yr old son is driving the above car and we were wondering how to improve its performance...
We finally got it to shift into 2nd but the the handling was awfull......the car is pretty much stock.......looking at any suggestion....many thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mnr3.3
Greetings,
My 7yr old son is driving the above car and we were wondering how to improve its performance...
We finally got it to shift into 2nd but the the handling was awfull......the car is pretty much stock.......looking at any suggestion....many thanks
Tires are the biggest thing that is going to help this car. now unfortunately the tires with the most grip usually wear out pretty quick. I worked at a hobbystore for 5 years and the biggest thing you can do to this car is in the steering. Typically the hpi servo saver/steering linkages are loose causing it not to turn well, or have poor response in the steering. If this is a stock car RTR with Stock servo that is also a good upgrade to do, a better steering servo. The stock servo is so week that between that and the steering being somewhat "loose" it can have a heard time holding corners. Speed wise get a new Pipe. The stock pipe is not good if you are looking for performance.

As for glow plugs, I used to sell Mccoy plugs for this car. at a hobbyshop they run about $8 but they seem to last the longest for the price. I would run and Mc-59 in colder seasons (early spring or late fall). This is a hot plug so burns hotter, a little less longevity but easier to start and run. In the summer I would run the MC-8 which is a medium. I would never run a cold in a motor smaller than a .21

A good typical rule of thumb for a "basher" is for small block motors .20 and below run a hot plug when its below 50 degrees outside and a medium when 50+ degrees. For a big block .21+ run a medium plug when below 50 and a cold when 50+. this is the rule we lived by in the hobbyshop I worked at.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default RS4 3evo set up

Thanks buddy.....
We are on a budget but wld definitely will have a gi at it..what wld you recommend a good but cheap servo, pipe and tire size & hardness....what about the shock springs....thanks....we all excited already...
Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Evo Steering

Definitely get rid of the plastic steering hardware. I upgraded mine to aluminum links and ball bearings on the steering shafts along with a little faster/stronger servo. It also helps to ditch the AA batteries and get a rechargable hump pack, you'll have more power going to the steering servo (and throttle/brake as well)...

HTH...
Mark
Old 06-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks buddy.....
We are on a budget but wld definitely will have a gi at it..what wld you recommend a good but cheap servo, pipe and tire size & hardness....what about the shock springs....thanks....we all excited already...
I am going to gather some information for you, and I will post back tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default RS4 3evo set up

Thanks buddy ...looking forward to hear from you real soon.....
Old 06-13-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks buddy ...looking forward to hear from you real soon.....
That info is coming later today.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Good servo that isnt expensive is the Hitec 645MG. Can be found for around 25-30 bucks. If you want to spend a little more money, the Hitec 5645MG Digital is good as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks buddy.....
Ok, The Hitec Servo as mentioned earlier is a good upgrade servo for that car. The biggest thing you want to look for is that it has metal gears. One of the main things that breaks is the servo guts strip rendering the servo unusable. Metal gears go a long way. The best thing for this car would be to find a high speed metal gear. The Hitec servos have more torque but lower speeds. In on road torque is not so much a necessity as compared to off road us where you are jumping and stuff. I typically run JR servos, but it is all personaly preference.

As for a pipe I believe that motor requires a retangular header pipe to attach to the motor. The best bet for a quick hop up would be to go on HPI-Racing.com and see what pipe they have for it as an upgrade. once you change motors to something faster in the future it will have more options for a pipe and header combination.

Tires are the key to grip. This depends on what surface you are looking to run. The softer the tire typically the more grip you will have however the tires will wear extremely fast. A harder tire will be better as far as wear is concerned expecially if running on the street.

Shock oil and spring combination is another thing that can be tricky. Again in a setting where you run it in the street, the surface is going to varie so much that spending alot of time working with the shocks will get frustrating. If you take it to a track however where the surface is consistent throughout making a change can help alot.

I dont remember if this car has shock position adjustments or not but that is probably the best thing you can do to help the handling. Where the top of the shock mounts you can see if this is adjustable. At the top shock mount see if there are different mounting holes. you can put the top of the shock down one hole (lay the shock down) for more "role" of the car which helps in some situations. Or you can Stand the shock up (move the position on hole up) to make the chassis stiffer with less role. All things that are dependent on where you run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.