R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RS4 3evo set up

Thanks buddy...

How about sanwa erg-wrx servo, is it ok

THS racing has a pipe for the RS4 3evo inclusive the header(THS1010R) may consider it.....

We'll be going to our local track this Friday...hoping to set up the suspension as there are a few mounting holes and couple of configuration from the manual....thanks all for the suggestion, really appreciate it....keep em coming...cheers
mnr3.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3.3 View Post
Thanks buddy...

How about sanwa erg-wrx servo, is it ok

THS racing has a pipe for the RS4 3evo inclusive the header(THS1010R) may consider it.....

We'll be going to our local track this Friday...hoping to set up the suspension as there are a few mounting holes and couple of configuration from the manual....thanks all for the suggestion, really appreciate it....keep em coming...cheers
Sanwa is not a brand I have ever heard of. I typically stay to the main brands, JR, KO-Propo, Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, Mainly because of customer support and quality of product. They are a little more expensive to start but a much better product.

THS makes a good product, at least from my exposure to it with off road pipes. I used to sell them and never had any complaints. That is your best bet.

Also make sure you have a breathable air cleaner. The stock ones restrict airflow terribly. so when looking at a pipe make sure you get a more free flowing air filter.
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
If you are going to a track with a good surface foam tires is where it is at. This is what you will see al on-road nitro racers using. They come in many different shores (soft-hard) and really help grip the track. The problem with running them on street is rocks will cause them to chunk, miking the car unstable. Brooklynhobbies.com is where I ordered ALL my 1.10 sedan tires when I was racing. I believe they have them for under $10 a pair which is INSANELY cheap. Jaco Prizms is what I loved to run.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Default RS4 3evo set up

Hi all...
Had a pretty exciting day at the track...
We had the handling sorted out with new sets of sponge tires and the camber and castor tune in as suggested in the manual...but on the main straight the car was just not as fast...the car seems breathless and no power...I am using the T15 motor with stock exhaust and stock gearing....any recommendation...thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hi all...
We had the handling sorted out with new sets of sponge tires and the camber and castor tune in as suggested in the manual...but on the main straight the car was just not as fast...the car seems breathless and no power...I am using the T15 motor with stock exhaust and stock gearing....any recommendation...thanks

those type of stock Motors do not have near the rpm range as a .12 race motor like a Novarossi or an os .12. I started with a stock nitro tc3 that had a motor with no low end power and was just all around slow. I then bought a used Novarossi motor that brought the car to life.

You can try getting a tuned exhaust but IMO it is just a waste I would save the money for a better motor.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hi all...

how big is the track..and are you racing this car against other stock cars?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Default RS4 3evo set up

Bigger motor.....kechang$$$$$

It's quite a big track.....maybe about 40-50metre on the front straight.....it's more for the 1/8 scales....I saw those guys going really fast with their Serpents & Xrays...

On a budget here but wld like to have some power for the car...thanks all for your support...please keep 'em coming
Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Bigger motor.....kechang$$$$$

It's quite a big track.....maybe about 40-50metre on the front straight.....it's more for the 1/8 scales....I saw those guys going really fast with their Serpents & Xrays...

On a budget here but wld like to have some power for the car...thanks all for your support...please keep 'em coming
The problem is the RTR kit motors are not seeing the RPMs these other motors can produce that you see in the Xray, Serpent, Mugen and other cars. You can try going up in pinion gears a tooth to get more top end as well as getting a tuned exhaust. This will likely still set you back $100.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
Tech Regular

The T15 engine just will not cut it for racing. It will always be a low power engine.

Problem is when you go to a more powerful engine you may find the holes in the car's handling.

My question for you is how much experiance do you have? This isn't to be a smart azz but rather to get an idea of where you are at as a driver. Believe it or not, many times the best performance upgrade can be in your driving style.

If you haven't already, check out HPI's FAQ section. In there they have a section about tuning (Customer Service>FAQ>Tuning Guide)...

Check it out for more information on tuning your car.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
The T15 engine just will not cut it for racing. It will always be a low power engine. (1)

Problem is when you go to a more powerful engine you may find the holes in the car's handling. (2)

My question for you is how much experiance do you have? This isn't to be a smart azz but rather to get an idea of where you are at as a driver. Believe it or not, many times the best performance upgrade can be in your driving style. (3)
1) He is right, Always has always will.

2) Right about this also, though with that car its not so much handling as in can the parts handle the power without breaking (drivetrain). This also creates the need for a better servos and a braking system.

3) Also Correct, Laps Laps Laps, The more laps and experience you get under your belt the better off you are. In this case once you get practice the car will hold you back some. Used 1/10 race sedans with motors are not hard to find for a really decent price. My first car was an mugen mtx3 I got with motor for 200. Just needed servos. These types of deals can be found when your ready to step up.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBinks View Post
2) Right about this also, though with that car its not so much handling as in can the parts handle the power without breaking (drivetrain). This also creates the need for a better servos and a braking system.
Yes and no. Stock the Nitro 3's drivetrain can handle a more powerful small block engine. Yes parts such as diff outdrives, axles, dog bones and the like will wear out faster but breakage from the power isn't an issue. Though I will say a nice fiber disk brake if you don't have one would be a big improvement.

What I was refferring too is the way the car handles specifically. Right now you have a slower engine. The car is only going so fast. With the setup you have on your car now, it will navigate a turn well. When you put a faster engine in the car, you now change things.

The car is going to accelerate faster which means weight will transfer faster and further than it did with the slower engine. This could cause more on power push or make the rear tires break loose easier when coming out of the corners. Also you will enter corners faster but your braking power will remain the same thus you may have to brake sooner or harder which can change how a car enters a turn as the weight shifts forward. Change to a better brake and now you will be transfering more weight sooner which can add to this. Since you can navigate turns faster, S sections may become a problem if the car isn't transitioning from left to right fast enough or roll too far and transfer too much weight to be agile.

Does this mean the car's setup changed? No, just means you didn't have the power plant to push the car further and find out that, at the edge, the setup just wasn't quite right yet. Throw in a more powerful engine and you may be chassing setup again.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBinks View Post
ive been beatin on mine with modded Hyper 21 8port pretty regularly and have yet to have anything in the drivetrain break. HPI actually seemed to use some pretty decent parts on this model

HPI Firestorm 10T // Hyper .21 Bigblock Power
HPI RS4 EVO+ // Hyper .21 Bigblock Power
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Default RS4 3evo set up

Thanks all, really appreciate the respond...
Yes I do agree that changes will alter the car characteristic in various section..
My son is an average driver and we are working on his driving skills...currently we put 50wt on all for shocks with the black springs...any suggestions...thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
ive been beatin on mine with modded Hyper 21 8port pretty regularly and have yet to have anything in the drivetrain break. HPI actually seemed to use some pretty decent parts on this model
You got a pretty good car then. haha. In my 6 years working at a hobby store when someone switched to a faster more powerful motor... an .18tz we will say based on what we sold. That transmission and drivetrain had a hard time keeping up. Just based on repairs that came into our shop. I agree with you HPI did use some pretty decent parts..... haha
Old 06-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
What I was refferring too is the way the car handles specifically. Right now you have a slower engine. The car is only going so fast. With the setup you have on your car now, it will navigate a turn well. When you put a faster engine in the car, you now change things.
In my experience the chassis and parts will flex more under the strain of more power and increases weight transfer and roll. This also causing a bit more to be donw with the set up.