Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 vs 1/10 scales

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/8 vs 1/10 scales

Since a couple of years ago, I remark that on several club races and even on practice the attendats with 1/10 are day by day sensibly decreasing and moving to 1/8 scale or even on 1/5.

What's your opinion on this? Is it just a temporary local "fashion" or the same is happening all over the world and why?

Is 1/10 scale going to disappear?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Talking

Oh ohh, not another one of these threads
Old 05-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
Oh ohh, not another one of these threads
Well, this is not ele vs nitro...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rubio
Since a couple of years ago, I remark that on several club races and even on practice the attendats with 1/10 are day by day sensibly decreasing and moving to 1/8 scale or even on 1/5.

What's your opinion on this? Is it just a temporary local "fashion" or the same is happening all over the world and why?

Is 1/10 scale going to disappear?
I personally think its a time-based tendency, we have seen 1/8 decreasing and lately increasing. The same happens with every class.
You need to know someting about customer behavior, people tend to do someting different when it gets boring or if there are other negative developments (rules, prices, no fun-factor etc etc)
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

i think that the offroad is very appealing for some. But it is going to be for a while i think. The 1/10 nitro is still a very nice class to race. not to expensive and a lot of fun. With the stock engine class we started this year wich already is a succes in germany we believe it is going to revive and make every one see that this class is very competitive for everyone and at a low cost.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by djiewie
i think that the offroad is very appealing for some. But it is going to be for a while i think. The 1/10 nitro is still a very nice class to race. not to expensive and a lot of fun. With the stock engine class we started this year wich already is a succes in germany we believe it is going to revive and make every one see that this class is very competitive for everyone and at a low cost.
I wouldn't be so sure that 1/10 is so much cheaper than 1/8. The costs of new kits and spares are more or less the same, the 1/8 tyres and engines are a little bit more expensives, but I don't see a huge difference in a yearly cost forecast between the two classes.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Tech Adept

faster engines in 1/8 nitro class does
not give such a great advantage than in 1/10th scale.
without a good engine in 1/10th scale
it is disapointed to get overtaken on the streight.

the basic 5Channel 1/8 engines are more durable
and easyer to adjust than the .12 engines.

wheels in 1/8 cost more but the "window" where you can use it of
77mm to 68mm and were it is fast 75-72mm is greater.

the kits are just a bit more expensive but more durable than 1/10th cars wear plastic bearings belts and other stuff wear out more faster because of the smaller size.

the fun of driving a 1/8th scale wing car downforce monster with its great prototype bodyshells is more than driving a touring car.

--------------------------------------------

that are some opinions i heard from people here why the move to 1/8th scale this year or why 1/8th scale is growing after years of stagnation.
some time ago the main reason why they dont do was: too expensive

I am driving both 1/8 and electric touring car :-)!

greetings.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

I use to run 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale but my reflexes are slowing down and the cars just react to fast for me now so I went to 1/5 scale. I miss 1/8 and 1/10 scale but the expense of the fuel, tires and motors just got to be too much for me . The intial investment to go to 1/5 scale might be a little bit more compared to 1/8 and 1/10 scale but maintance and fuel is much less at least it has been for me. I love paying only $4.00 a gallon for fuel instead of $25.00-$30.00 a gallon depending on the percent of nitro in the fuel. The tires I use on my 1/5 scale usually last a season. And you can get a good motor for $200. bucks rebuild usually runs about $50.00 for a stock motor. Motors are easier to tune and if you don't run them too lean will last a long time. And the motors are getting more powerful so the cars are getting faster too. I still like 1/8 scale however I just can't afford it.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I ran mainly 1/10th because I thought 1/8th wasn't affordable. However I was able to pick up a 1/8 slightly used for much less than what I invested in my 1/10th setup.

One thing for sure 1/8th is more durable than 1/10th. Crash survivability is non-existant in 1/10th. You crash in 1/10th you're done. You crash in 1/8th, you can most likely bounce back and stay in the game.

Also, on the track, the 1/8th looks right where 1/10th looks so small its almost like a mini car on the track.

Once I moved to 1/8th, I had to give up my 1/10th because I only have time and resources for one. I'm sure many others have made the same decision when they transitioned from 1/10th to 1/8th.