R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Les
Tech Addict
 
Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Clutch Nut

Hello,

Having problems with my 733 clutch, the retaining nut that tensions the spring is unwinding during racing, the nut finish's up flush with the end of the crank thread and its running against the clutch bell, i have been spacing the bell out with shims as you do so its not dragging on the clutch bell.

Pain in the rear problem.

Any Idea's would be appreciated.

Les
__________________
Serpent S411 4.0 13.5T D4
Kyosho V-ONE S3, RB Rota-Start
Sanwa MT4S
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Hello,

Having problems with my 733 clutch, the retaining nut that tensions the spring is unwinding during racing, the nut finish's up flush with the end of the crank thread and its running against the clutch bell, i have been spacing the bell out with shims as you do so its not dragging on the clutch bell.

Pain in the rear problem.

Any Idea's would be appreciated.

Les
what pre load are you running Les ? i think Rodney had this issue too, and the lack of preload he was using allowed it to unwind. if that is not the issue, you can use blue loctite and let it go off. the new flywheel nuts have a red coating on them, this tends to lock them on when wound up. can always ring me as well when you get stuck.
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Les
Tech Addict
 
Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
what pre load are you running Les ? i think Rodney had this issue too, and the lack of preload he was using allowed it to unwind. if that is not the issue, you can use blue loctite and let it go off. the new flywheel nuts have a red coating on them, this tends to lock them on when wound up. can always ring me as well when you get stuck.
Thanks Patto, had my first run at Brendale 2day awsome track, preload 1.1mm never had the problem before, the engine rotates opposite 2 the nut so you would think it impossible to unwind, it only takes about 5 laps then I notice the engine bog starting.Good mixture of car brands here. Only have red loctite will that do or should I buy some blue.
__________________
Serpent S411 4.0 13.5T D4
Kyosho V-ONE S3, RB Rota-Start
Sanwa MT4S
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Thanks Patto, had my first run at Brendale 2day awsome track, preload 1.1mm never had the problem before, the engine rotates opposite 2 the nut so you would think it impossible to unwind, it only takes about 5 laps then I notice the engine bog starting.Good mixture of car brands here. Only have red loctite will that do or should I buy some blue.
see if you can get blue. red maybe too strong. but use it if you have to. what happens is the red stuff on the flywheel nut wears off. then there isnt much to hold on the thread, as everything is worn in pretty well.
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,460
Default

How much endplay you have on the clutch?? Too much would would loosen clutch or delay clutch engagement. I never used loctite coz of contant ajusting. You get in correct you shouldn't have that problem.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,274
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Also be sure that damages to the nut and the clutchbell (sticking out edges) are grinded away. They can be made when using a small pin through the clutchbell adjusting the nut
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Les
Tech Addict
 
Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
How much endplay you have on the clutch?? Too much would would loosen clutch or delay clutch engagement. I never used loctite coz of contant ajusting. You get in correct you shouldn't have that problem.
Thanks, yes I tried minimal endplay and also generous endplay also swapped the clutch adjusting nut with one off another engine,it still unwound itself.
__________________
Serpent S411 4.0 13.5T D4
Kyosho V-ONE S3, RB Rota-Start
Sanwa MT4S
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,843
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

We have the same problem on the 966, just put a little bit of locktite on the nut and it stops.
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Les
Tech Addict
 
Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
We have the same problem on the 966, just put a little bit of locktite on the nut and it stops.
Thanks Nitrodude and all who offered their suggestions, much appreciated.

Les
__________________
Serpent S411 4.0 13.5T D4
Kyosho V-ONE S3, RB Rota-Start
Sanwa MT4S
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Thanks, yes I tried minimal endplay and also generous endplay also swapped the clutch adjusting nut with one off another engine,it still unwound itself.
You didnt answer my question. I asked how much of endplay. You just told me minimum & maximum. Tell what the minimum measurement you obtained.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
You didnt answer my question. I asked how much of endplay. You just told me minimum & maximum. Tell what the minimum measurement you obtained.
i dont think it really matters now. the situation should be sorted .
minimal means next to no end play, and generouse, i would presume around 0.4 ? either way, its not how the clutch is engaging initially, its when the clutch nut comes loose, less preload on the spring, then it becomes boggy.

the serpent flywheel nuts, come with a red coating on them, this is kind of like a thread locking compound. when you remove your clutch a few times, this tends to dissapear, and the wear on the threads it becomes not as tight as when new. so wear to thread, and the locking compound wearing away contributes to the problem. has nothing to do with end play.

But Les, as roelof suggested, make sure everything is smooth inside where it was spinning on the bell.
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #12
Les
Tech Addict
 
Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
You didnt answer my question. I asked how much of endplay. You just told me minimum & maximum. Tell what the minimum measurement you obtained.
Yes 0.1
__________________
Serpent S411 4.0 13.5T D4
Kyosho V-ONE S3, RB Rota-Start
Sanwa MT4S
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
Les
Tech Addict
 
Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
i dont think it really matters now. the situation should be sorted .
minimal means next to no end play, and generouse, i would presume around 0.4 ? either way, its not how the clutch is engaging initially, its when the clutch nut comes loose, less preload on the spring, then it becomes boggy.

the serpent flywheel nuts, come with a red coating on them, this is kind of like a thread locking compound. when you remove your clutch a few times, this tends to dissapear, and the wear on the threads it becomes not as tight as when new. so wear to thread, and the locking compound wearing away contributes to the problem. has nothing to do with end play.

But Les, as roelof suggested, make sure everything is smooth inside where it was spinning on the bell.
No worries Patto, the clutch has been disassembled quite a few times trying different engines so you are possibly correct with your theory, as I set the clutch up same as I always do, will try small amount of locktite till new flywheel nut arrives, test it at Bayside this weekend and post the result on this forum. Racing every weekend the Missus (pitcrew) loves it LOL

Cheers
__________________
Serpent S411 4.0 13.5T D4
Kyosho V-ONE S3, RB Rota-Start
Sanwa MT4S
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:26 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
No worries Patto, the clutch has been disassembled quite a few times trying different engines so you are possibly correct with your theory, as I set the clutch up same as I always do, will try small amount of locktite till new flywheel nut arrives, test it at Bayside this weekend and post the result on this forum. Racing every weekend the Missus (pitcrew) loves it LOL

Cheers
good luck , states here in 2 weeks
got the 733 ready, just have to change over the 966 now. back to nitro !
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice
 
Team Chump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 96
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Bayside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
No worries Patto, the clutch has been disassembled quite a few times trying different engines so you are possibly correct with your theory, as I set the clutch up same as I always do, will try small amount of locktite till new flywheel nut arrives, test it at Bayside this weekend and post the result on this forum. Racing every weekend the Missus (pitcrew) loves it LOL

Cheers
Good stuff, see you there
__________________
Walter R/C
Serpent
Reds Racing
Podified Race Fuel
Team Chump is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locking the flywheel so I can remove the clutch nut on Losi 2.0 Garet Jax Nitro Off-Road 26 07-07-2009 03:51 PM
Help - clutch nut came loose while clutchbell attached Miller_Time Nitro Off-Road 22 12-17-2008 03:31 PM
Flywheel spinning on collet, cannot get clutch nut off. Semple Nitro Off-Road 25 08-18-2008 10:57 PM
Clutch Nut is, well...stuck paco62 Nitro Off-Road 25 03-10-2008 12:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:23 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net