R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #226
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default GT chassie

if the gt class are buggy based cars/drive train, then why do they have a 2 speed system in it when buggys don't???
Old 04-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #227
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASSPRINT1 View Post
if the gt class are buggy based cars/drive train, then why do they have a 2 speed system in it when buggys don't???
There are several reasons for 2 speeds, but some of the main ones are:

Cars like the IGT & DM1, have has always come equipped with a 2-speeds.

The 2-speed transmissions in GT cars are sometimes needed on the bigger tracks we race them on.

Having a 2 speed transmission makes on-road track racing with GT cars a lot more fun.

Hope it helps!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #228
Tech Regular

ok, thanks. thought i seen somewhere last year it said the usgt class was buggy based with single tranny. i ran my L8 latemodel on a road course an it worked great. just didn't have that speed for the hudge long straight as i was tached out around half way or just a hair less. had to keep letting off so i didn't burn the motor up. even if i still had my setup oval mbx5, there is no putting a 2 speed setup in it. hell the regular onroad cars are so dang expensive to buy....otherwise i would of had one already...
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #229
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Yeah well…..

Their group’s rules keep our GT racing products and racers from competing against them, yet we’ve always welcomed them to race with us at the largest GT Only events on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Mckune View Post
That is not true!

Our group, RCSR Rose City Scale Racing, allows your body and tires. I ran your tires last year and I have a Warrior body. RCSR in Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA allows open tires and bodies. The Timezone Gran Prix had a spec tire last year because Sweep stepped up and sponsored the event. What they choose to do in the future is their business.

Troy

Troy

OUCH THROWN UNDER THE BUS ONCE AGAIN BY TROY MCKUNE.... are you kidding me.... It was You Troy along with Clete and Jeff who we all turned to that came up with the motor and spec tire rule last year RCSR and the TZGP in hopes of creating and keeping it an affordable and completive class for all. Then when you got pressure from J Speed you caved in like a bad coal mine and gave the asshole my home number so I could take a verbal tongue lashing from the guy, and then you run away again this year.... just brilliant.... by the way I am also a member of your group a paid club member of RCSR for the last 11 years...

Yeah we are sticking with a spec tire for the TZGP again this year. Just like many of the other rubber tire races (all be it sedan) across the nation. Maybe we’re ahead of our time but it creates even and level playing field for all which showcases who has the talent and skill, not the softest tires and biggest wallet. And here is a little tidbit of info for ya Jspeed.. I am an unofficial sponsored driver for Solaris Tires but it has never stopped me from attending the largest races in the US or for that matter the countless other sponsored tire drivers

IIC: Jaco
Snowbirds: Jaco
NWIC: Sweep
Reedy Race: Team Powers
Carpet Nat’s: Jaco
Asphalt Nat’s: TBD
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.

So Put your talent where your mouth is and show up and let the results show who is the fastest IGT driver..
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #230
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
Originally Posted by Jspeed
Yeah well…..

Their group’s rules keep our GT racing products and racers from competing against them, yet we’ve always welcomed them to race with us at the largest GT Only events on earth.

Troy

OUCH THROWN UNDER THE BUS ONCE AGAIN BY TROY MCKUNE.... are you kidding me.... It was You Troy along with Clete and Jeff who we all turned to that came up with the motor and spec tire rule last year RCSR and the TZGP in hopes of creating and keeping it an affordable and completive class for all. Then when you got pressure from J Speed you caved in like a bad coal mine and gave the asshole my home number so I could take a verbal tongue lashing from the guy, and then you run away again this year.... just brilliant.... by the way I am also a member of your group a paid club member of RCSR for the last 11 years...

Yeah we are sticking with a spec tire for the TAGS again this year. Just like many of the other rubber tire races (all be it sedan) across the nation. Maybe we’re ahead of our time but it creates even and level playing field for all which showcases who has the talent and skill, not the softest tires and biggest wallet. And here is a little tidbit of info for ya Jspeed.. I am an unofficial sponsored driver for Solaris Tires but it has never stopped me from attending the largest races in the US or for that matter the countless other sponsored tire drivers

IIC: Jaco
Snowbirds: Jaco
NWIC: Sweep
Reedy Race: Team Powers
Carpet Nat’s: Jaco
Asphalt Nat’s: TBD
ETC.
ETC.
ETC.

So Put your talent where your mouth is and show up and let the results show who is the fastest IGT driver..
WOW.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #231
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow is right!!! I don't understand why every few weeks, this kind of BS comes up after a period of peacefulness. Personally, I don't understand why in a class of limited options and limited resources, some want to further restrict what is already limited for use. In my opinion, these continuous dust-ups are more on a personal level than anything. This, my friends, is the problem with GT racing today. You don't have this kind of junk going on with 200mm and 8th scale Lola (not saying it doesn't happen but less on the forums).

Now, I am all for respecting the rules of whoever organizes a race. If I don't agree with something, I either try to respectfully ask why is X rule this way or I choose not to attend because I don't agree with the way the rules are structured. But, I am like this for all the classes I run, whether GT, 200mm, 190mm, 12th scale, etc. I just don't understand why folks try to slam others especially when they never plan on attending the organizer's race, no matter who it is. And, it happens from all the parties that organize GT races (except the Midwest Series folks).

I will say this again, respect the rules of the race being put on. If you don't agree with the rules or don't even plan on attending, that is one's perrogative. However, openly tearing the organizer down because you either don't agree or have an ax to grind (personal dislike), really needs to be kept to one's self or taken up in PMs. These arguments have gotten very old, very tiring, and very unproductive to the sanctity of the class.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #232
Tech Addict

Jeff,
Once again you have polluted a thread with your BS, when will you learn….. It’s my fault really, I asked you last year not to post on my thread if you could not be nice and responsible. I thought that you could change and grow as a human being, my mistake.
Troy made mention that the Warrior body was being banned at many tracks because of the rear wing being molded…no sense buying something you can't use, now is there…

The proper response Jeff…. You can copy this if you can’t remember the verbiage.

I have not heard of any tracks banding the Warrior body. However, please check your local club rules before purchasing one. Since ROAR has not sanctioned GT racing as of yet, rules will vary slightly across the country…. Have a great time and we hope you take advantage of our other products.

Go ahead Jeff… highlight it, and hit control C…. it’s ok…. Free from me to you..
Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #233
Tech Regular

geeze, i ask a simple question get an answer an then kinda make another an now all this hoopla....wow....
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #234
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASSPRINT1 View Post
geeze, i ask a simple question get an answer an then kinda make another an now all this hoopla....wow....
Gass... It was not your question that sparked the uproar... thanks for stopping by...

The 2 speeds are really needed for the size of the tracks we run.. a single speed does not get you around as fast on a large track.. and if you try.... it can be damaging to the motor!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #235
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Apology I guess

Once again I guess I have posted something that has been misinterpreted by some. I am sorry for the confusion. My post was directed at JSpeed.

I fully supported the spec tire at the TZGP last year because it put everyone on an even playing field and kept costs down. The last thing we need is everyone having to run a new set of super softs every round of qualifying just to be competitive. This is lower cost spec class and having a spec tire helped to keep those costs down. During our club level races open tires were allowed.

As far as my post, I was saying to Jspeed that what Timezone does in the future is their business not his. Sweep has always treated RCSR and Timezone very well and they stepped up last year. I will support whatever is decided for this years Gran Prix.

As far as Jspeed, He contacted me through PM last year about the Sweep spec tire. He was polite and asked why his tires would not be allowed. He said he was planning on bringing a team but would not come if his tires were not be allowed. I told him he would need to talk to the event organizers. He asked how to get in touch and I gave him a phone number. Normally this would be pretty standard and the organizers would be very happy to have manufacturers call them about their event. But in typical Jspeed style he turned in to an over the top asshole and I got blamed for it. Obviously this was before I knew who he was.

Troy
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #236
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Mckune View Post
Once again I guess I have posted something that has been misinterpreted by some. I am sorry for the confusion. My post was directed at JSpeed.

I fully supported the spec tire at the TZGP last year because it put everyone on an even playing field and kept costs down. The last thing we need is everyone having to run a new set of super softs every round of qualifying just to be competitive. This is lower cost spec class and having a spec tire helped to keep those costs down. During our club level races open tires were allowed.

As far as my post, I was saying to Jspeed that what Timezone does in the future is their business not his. Sweep has always treated RCSR and Timezone very well and they stepped up last year. I will support whatever is decided for this years Gran Prix.

As far as Jspeed, He contacted me through PM last year about the Sweep spec tire. He was polite and asked why his tires would not be allowed. He said he was planning on bringing a team but would not come if his tires were not be allowed. I told him he would need to talk to the event organizers. He asked how to get in touch and I gave him a phone number. Normally this would be pretty standard and the organizers would be very happy to have manufacturers call them about their event. But in typical Jspeed style he turned in to an over the top asshole and I got blamed for it. Obviously this was before I knew who he was.

Troy
Wipe your feet Troy!... LOL!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #237
Tech Elite

Troy I also applogoze and should have PM you but yes he turned out to be quite the guys and was completly insulting to me on the phone and to Timezone Raceway on RCtech.. again we only tried replecate what was discussed and created in the NW for this class spec tire, and dollar limit on the motor. We have no horse in this race and only wanted to match what you guys came up with... and feel Spec Tires is a great decission

it just hurt have have you say TZ did this and RCSR does this when you are as much a part of Timezone as we are a part of RCSR....
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #238
Tech Elite

Whatever you dudes say.... great “spin” on the facts.

All the…. ‘was told that’….. ‘someone said’…… ‘I heard’…… rumors are just that, crap talk.

So, answer the question that has been asked of you, don’t change the subject, just answer the question.

What tracks are you guys talking about in the USA that want to ban the Made in America Warrior GT race car body that sells for $45 US Dollars?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #239
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Here is my opinion...I raced last year Byron with a rent a ride Kyosho IGT version 1 with a 6 gallon used engine (unknown RB buggy engine I was told) and some heavily used Kyosho rubber....did very good and I really like this class, after spending most of my time racing 200mm Nitro TC and even 1/8th ON ROAD...and decided there is no way I can afford to race those, then I changed to electric. And then last year, I thought I can race NITRO again and brought a used DM1 SPEC, a spec pull start engine, a set of ALPHA medium and thought I should be OK for the GT racing...

After seeing these thread about a "set" rule...I am sure, I am not going to be racing simply because this GT rules, is now going toward to the 1/8th ON ROAD or TC rule. May not be now, but I am sure within a year, it would...

Some of these new GT cars are $550 plus for a roller....what happened to the whole original idea of the GT on road class? I remember those were around $250 for roller and $400 is RTR. What happened...? Don't even bother to ask me about those belt designed GT car...all I can say is...WHY?

2-speed is needed...it is NOT really about the speed, it is all about NOT to kill those RTR pull start motor. You have a 225 foot long straight and you cannot let those $150 pull start engine to rev 30,000 for 3-4 second on the 1st gear....you need to shift to 2nd gear to elongate the life of the motor...the extra speed is actually a BONUS, but the idea of 2-speed is not to blow up your $150 pull start RTR motor.

I know the original people who drew out the original rule of MWS....Ron actually tested about 10 (or actually less) spec engine and named these the CHOICE of the engine....you just have to pick one, might as well ask around which one is the fastest and buy that one...SIMPLE RULE and it is a GOOD RULE....what happened to all these TURBO PLUG, 5 ports, 7 ports Ceremic bearing $$$$ stuff that I see right now...? Seriously....are we going back to 200mm nitro and 1/8th on road for those kinda power? On a funny looking GT car that used to be a BUGGY...? The rule was stated it must have the PULL START device on the engine, and that pull start device is the ORIGINAL parts of that specific engine...you cannot add a pull start device on a $500 on road engine and called it out a spec engine....

I know we all should have a freedom of choice...however, if there are too much freedom, there will not be a unity. Look at the USVTA (electric vintage class of racing)...6-7 years of running, and hardly ppl will ask for rule change because the rule is simple....1 brand of TIRES, 1 choice of shore, 1 brand/1 model of motor and very limited choice of ESC....we let driver to choose their car from $50 used 10 years car to a $550 brand new latest chassis......however, the different is still the same, best driver win, not the most expensive gear....

Now...racing outdoor is a little different, and this time, GT is not just USA, it is the whole world business...........from what I am seeing, I think to limit the cost of the chassis is simply impossible. Driver A can afford the $550 roller, fine by me....it is definitely a better quality car and I think I can live with that. However, I see there are 2 things that need to address and SOMEOME (or organization) should concentrate of these 2 thing....

(1) ENGINE and (2) BODY.....thats it.

Also....there should NOT be a outlaw, PRO or spec class....it is NITRO racing, the more classes it divided, the more it will go down on interest. Look at nitro TC and 1/8th on road now.....electric brushless completed took over that.

Engine - I wish they should concentrate on the number of PORT and limited to standard plugs only....leave the Turbo plugs engine to TC and 1/8th, that belongs to those, not GT..........once it limited to ports and plug, the PRICE is not a problem no more, I would never seen a 3 port non turbo plug engine costing more then $280.....and we don't need to name names on these engine, if the brand X engine is 3 ports, non turbo and tested by others and proved it is the fastest thing in the market, everyone will buy that engine X.

BODY - that is a tough one. Are we talking about GT now? Or BTTC/WTCC or JMTC or whatever TC racing.....? Because, when IGT came out...it is all based on GT cars, no matter 2 doors or 4 doors, it is still a GT cars body shape. And those LOLA type embedded wing design should NOT be legal as there are no such GT car was designed that way. If someone need to prove it, please provide a picture of a LEGAL GT chassis (real car) that has the LeMan type of rear portion and they are still legal to race against other like Nissan GT-R, Ferrari, Audi or Bentley....

That is my 2 cents...the rest of the rule are pretty solid right now. Tires compound and width can be open as you don't need all the shore and brand of tires to race 1 event...

I know somoene might not agree with me, but I am here to share my opinion and would like to see a better solution on this class soon. Because from what I am seeing, these rule does not looking good for the future.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #240
Tech Elite

Solara,

This thread has nothing to do with your Midwest Series or Byron’s or Leisure Hours event rules, so don’t let it discourage you on GT racing.

Clete was advised at the start of this thread that the oldest and most respected GT group was you guys up in the Midwest. At one point he agreed with the Midwest Series GT class rules, but they have decided to go down the road of division instead. Its their call, good luck with that.

Hope to meet up with you in Joliet for the Byron Fuels Challenge event next month.
Closed Thread