R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Lightbulb Wheel Offset and it's effects

In my perpetual need of food for tought and still learning about the evolution of suspension designs I came across the need of acquiring rear tires for my RRR WCE.As you may know,the RRR WCE uses rear wheels with 2 offset and the final evolutions don't so what's going on here?What's great and not so great about using offset wheels?Why do manufacturers rave about long span suspension arms and next model comes up with shorter arms,like the Inferno 7.5 had long arms,the 777 had shorter and now the mp9 is getting shorter rear arms with offset hubs and even JQ Products THE Car was designed around short suspension arms.I'm in the middle of a crossroad but know nothing of the two options.

Sorry about using offroad examples,should have used Xray's alu hexes with varying offsets and so on.

Let's debate
Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Apart from changing the roll-center, I would guess it also changes the behavior of it - how quickly it changes (?)
Interesting to see how people answer this - if they can
Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only thing I can think is that you gain more precision with less offset and also it delays the up/down motion at wheel.May also change the point where force is applied regarding foam to road effectively changing roll center let me explain further,with long arms and 0 offset the hub is closer to the outer part of the rim so force is applied more at center/outer and with 2 offset and short arms the hub is closer to the inner side of the rim so force is applied at inner/center so it will dig the wheel correct?Geez,it's as clear as roll centers
Old 05-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Talking

In my eyes, the arm of the car is going to see exactly the same torque regardless what offset wheels you use, but the wheel hub is whats going to feel a difference.
The only thing I see here with offset wheels is this:
You have rollcenter action A with 0 offset.
If you use +2 offset wheels, using the same track width, the rollcenter will be higher because the upper arms (in the rear, for example) will be pointing down more than 0 offset wheels - its like lowering the inner part or raising the outer part of the upper link.
It will probably change the camber gain by only a little bit IMO, but then again you can change the length of that link (camber link in my example) to have it where you want