Wiki Posts
Search

Fastest Lightest Ceramic bearing sets

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Fastest Lightest Ceramic bearing sets

I rAN ACERS FOR years untill, im building my x-ray rx8, and not only do they seem lighter, they are defiantly faster??? an i missing something, how about the ABEC35 series, or boca orange, when it comes to racing, i want the lightest, fastest, just like the rest of us, hell i just placed a order fro 4 ko propo rsx servo's that was around 4 bills. and didn't think twice, so again lets have a discussion with facts, not who's sponsored by whom etc... i need the best, and the x-ray stockers, appear to be of a better quality that the acer ceramic bearing set, thanx, im ready to pull trigger!!

tommy
Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It comes down to two things:

1. Is the bearing oiled or greased out of the packet? Obviously an oiled bearing will spin alot better then a greased up bearing.

2. What ABEC rating is the bearing? The higher the rating, the more precise the bearing is. Just look on ebay. You will see ABEC3 spec bearings selling for peanuts, whilst ABEC7 are very expensive! Here is something I googled...

ABEC ratings are only odd numbers, and start with ABEC 1:

ABEC 1 is the most crude, the least precise, the most durable and the cheapest.
ABEC 3 is what most cheap complete skateboards come with, especially skateboards from China. ABEC 3 bearings will work for most skateboarding, but won't roll very smoothly or fast.
ABEC 5 bearings are the norm in skateboarding. You get a reasonable amount of speed, and at a reasonable cost. However, there are lots of people who argue that the skateboarding industry is lying, and that most ABEC 5 skateboard bearings you see aren't actually built to ABEC 5 standards...
ABEC 7 bearings would be very fast and smooth, but very expensive. Plus, you start to run the risk of needlessly damaging them if you skate hard or aggressively. Also, if you are buying cheap ABEC 7 bearings made in China, you are probably being lied to (read The Truth about Skateboard Bearings.
ABEC 9 and higher bearings would be ridiculous to use in a skateboard, unless you are doing downhill luge style skating, or something else where your goal is to go insanely fast. If you aren't spending a fortune on these bearings, then don't trust that they are in fact ABEC 9!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just get ceramic bearings in the a reasonable range of quality (3, 4 or 5), clean them out, and oil them up with mobil 1 synth oil 0 to 50 wt. clean them every 4 or 5 races, or when they get crunchy and buy a new set each year. keep the bearings from the older set that are in good nick as spares.

after all, the reason most people go with ceramics is the weight saving aspect, as steel bearings in most cases will be just as smooth and efficient when oiled up the same way as i described above.

if you want maximum efficency and speed go with metal sheilded bearings in either steel or ceramic balls. the thing which will slow your car down the most is the rubber sheild that iscausing drag on the bearing.

you can do the trick that most electric guys do and that is replacing the metal sheild which is exposed to dirt with the original rubber seal from your kit bearings and leaving the side not expose to dirt with the metal sheild installed, by doing this you are halving the resistance from the sheilds alone.

tips:
-Thin, motor oil as lube,
-regular cleaning
-and using metal sheilds/rubber seals where needed, and mixinf this up in the one bearing when possible for longer maintainance free life.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

well hows abec 35? Ive seen these recently?