Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default One way bearings

Just a question...Has anybody out there experienced their one way bearings, be it in the front diff or on the 2 speed, slipping and not taking up?

I've had this problem 2 times on my mrx2. And had me baffled for ages to I figured it out.
The fix I found is to pack the one ways with bearing grease, and all is good after that.

Just wondering if any one else has had this problem and solution? No one at my club has.

Wolf
Old 09-18-2004, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Bearing grease is too heavy for the oneway bearings - you should use a very light oil for the oneway. Serpent makes a special oil for the oneway bearing and it is good for all manufacturers:

Oneway Lube

Cheers, Mark.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:49 PM
ND
Tech Adept

In my experience I'd only advise using Serpent one way bearing oil once you start to get trouble with the one way.

A new one way comes greased up and should last a long time without any trouble, the trouble starts when the grease is no longer in the bearing, then you need to use the oil. But once you start using the oil make sure you lube the bearing before every days racing as it becomes dependant on this lube.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, no worries. The regular bearing grease works perfectly, and lasts 3-4 race meetings.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced it before.

Matt
Old 09-19-2004, 04:24 AM
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

I have the same kind of trouble on my Impulse, yesterday I coulndn't finish a final because of the one-way in the gearbox was slipping, after spraying with a very thin oil called WD-40 it worked fine for some time but then it started slipping again, I've tried other one-ways (though used ones but working) may it be axle which could be worn?
I've also tried with regular bearing grease and it worked fine for some time, so I guess I just have to re-grease it more often.. Or get a new bearing and axle..
Old 09-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah this problem had me scratching my head for a while. No sooner had I sorted the gear box the car started going left very hard under any accelleration, I rebuilt and set up everything several times just trying to find the problem, than I stumbled upon that fact it was the front one way not driving both the front wheels, it took 5 minutes to fix after that. I very nearly gave up on the car. Now its the best handling car in my fleet, absolutely perfect...well almost, the driver leaves a bit to be desired tho.

Wolf
Old 09-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You may want to clean out bearings first, then lube them. They will loose grip when dry & dirty. Wear is another factor, but mostly its because of lack of lube. I personally use Moly grease for automotive CV joints. Its lighter than regular grease and does provide better lubrication and protection against wear.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

HPI supplies a silver/grey grease with their one way units. I have used that as well as the serpent with good results. The HPI grease stays put and lasts longer but both seem to work well.