R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
RT3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Anyone converted an Associated RC8B to a IGT/GT8 on-road car?

I was thinking about converting my RC8B buggy over to a GT8. Seems like it could be done pretty easily with the use of the Losi L8ight front bumper and maybe some SC8 towers and body mounts. Would need some shorter/stiffer shock springs probably. Has anyone else done this conversion yet? Post some pics if so please!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT3 View Post
I was thinking about converting my RC8B buggy over to a GT8. Seems like it could be done pretty easily with the use of the Losi L8ight front bumper and maybe some SC8 towers and body mounts. Would need some shorter/stiffer shock springs probably. Has anyone else done this conversion yet? Post some pics if so please!
good luck, maybe AE should do this for a out of the box kit.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Right now I'm working on one. I'm using a SC8 as base since it has a longer wheelbase exactly like the Kyosho GT2. You can try using the Thunder tiger Two speed (it fits where the center diff goes). The only problem is finding replacement plastic spurs and ones that are the correct size to compensate for the low ratio diffs. Remember that the diff gear ratio is 4.3:1 making the spurs and pinion key to have good top end. If you race in a very small track then no worries but if the track is medium or large then you run into problems with gearing. I'm using a two speed that has parts from OFNA, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas. For pinions is a mix of OFNA, HPI. As far as shocks goes using stock front shocks at the rear gives you near correct ride height but stiffer springs, and stabilizer bars are needed. Right now I have just fitted the two speed, i have to move the tank a little to the front (no biggie). Plus getting the two speed and spurs machined to fit. As of now it has a lower weight than the GT2 so it should be very fast. If you have any Idea just shoot it here so maybe we can do this.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
RT3
Tech Adept

Thanks jneg for your reply. I was planning on using the regular RC8 chassis instead so it would be more of a Ofna DM1 length. I wanted to use the Protoform PF8 body so I think the buggy chassis should be the correct length? Would you happen to know?

I was also going to stick with the center diff for now and see what kind of results I got. Which towers are you using on yours? SC8, RC8? or RC8B? Also, do you know what brand springs would fit the Associated 16mm big bores, and if so, which ones?

I did have some ideas that might be helpful to you if you haven't already made a plan for your front and rear bumper (if needed). For the front, I found a link in a forum where someone else was using the Losi e8ight bumper on the front. It just needs some dremelling on the piece that goes into the front bumper slot. here is the link:

http://www.rc-offroad.net/forum/view...hp?f=19&t=2584

And if you need a rear bumper, I thought about purchasing this one:

http://t-bone-racing.net/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=65

I have the SC8 shock towers, but am trying to figure out if I should use the front one for the rear, and then try to purchase some body mounts to attach to the rear shock tower. I don't know if I will be able to mount the PF8 body this way, since I don't have the body, nor the body mounts.

Oh, also Associated is coming out with new arms for the RC8B. The shocks sit lower in the arms, which slightly lowers the center of gravity. Although I don't know if they would work with regular towers, because the shock ends might rub against the inside of the arm if they are at too much of an angle. Associated also released new towers to go with the arms. Could be worth looking into as it would lower the shock some and get rid of the risers.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Tech Addict

I just finished yesterday with my conversion. I'm using the SC8 stock towers for now. Maybe carbon fiber if all goes well. I will be using RC8 front shocks all around since I already had them with DM1 springs. These are not the bigbores like you have. Kyosho has 16mm shocks so the springs fit.

I race at a good size track so a 2 speed is necesary. I'm using a mix of parts from Thunder Tiger, OFNA, HPI and Traxxas. All this to use the stock center shafts since this would be too hard to make it right. I will be using Losi front bumper like you mentioned as for rear bumper I dont think I will use any. The new RC8 arms are not yet available so we will have to wait and see.

If all goes well I will try it tomorrow at the track but first I have to complete the brake-in of it's motor. I will use an EB Mods Hellfire .23 full mod motor to see how it performs. This should be ome quick car, the only bad thing is that I have custom made gears so I have to have a few prepared just in case since no one will have them. I will post pictures soon.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
RT3
Tech Adept

Awesome, I am very much looking forward to seeing the pics. Are you having the carbon fiber towers custom made? Are they smaller height than the SC8 towers?
Old 05-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Right now I'm using stock tower but if the hamdling is good then I will go with carbon towers as well as upgrading to titanium in some places. The SC8 does not have any fancy materials like the truggy or buggy.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Tech Addict

It took longer than expected due to work but here it is. The most difficult thing was adapting the 2 speed so I didn't have to do anything with the shafts. I solved this and here are the results

Two speed consists of parts from a few manufacturers: OFNA, HPI, Traxxas and Thunder Tiger.

The wheelbase is exactly the same as the GT2 so it should be very stable. I haven't used it yet on the track but doing the break-in of the motor it felt really good since it is very very light compared to my DM1 or even my friend's GT2. I haven't done anything to lighten it a little more but I doubt that I will do anything for that. I will however look for weak points and they will be dealt with as they appear.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Do you have a parts list?
Mauros713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauros713 View Post
Do you have a parts list?
SC8 shock towers
RC8 front shocks (for rear)
OFNA DM-1 White Springs all around

the two speed is composed of:
Thunder Tiger two speed center shaft with the TT drive cups (these fit the RC8 brakes without any mods)
DM1 complete transmision
If using the 4.3:1 gear ratio use the Cluth bell for the DM1 with 20-16 with HPI R40 spur gear (42 tooth) in combination with DM1 46 tooth.

If using optional AE diffs you can use stock DM1 spurs and cluth bell. I haven't tried the Serpent Cobra in the SC8 yet but it is smaller and maybe it fits without any mods. I have to check if it fits since I have the Cobra as well. Since I was using the SC8 chassis all I did was move a little bit the motor and had no problems with the fuel tank. Haven't checked with RC8 chassis for clearance. but you can use offset fuel tank mounts from JQ Products "The Car" fuel tank mounts or make new mounting locations for it. I will try the Serpent trany and see if it fits. The OFNA tranny has to be shimmed correctly to fit so buy a few.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
SC8 shock towers
RC8 front shocks (for rear)
OFNA DM-1 White Springs all around

the two speed is composed of:
Thunder Tiger two speed center shaft with the TT drive cups (these fit the RC8 brakes without any mods)
DM1 complete transmision
If using the 4.3:1 gear ratio use the Cluth bell for the DM1 with 20-16 with HPI R40 spur gear (42 tooth) in combination with DM1 46 tooth.

If using optional AE diffs you can use stock DM1 spurs and cluth bell. I haven't tried the Serpent Cobra in the SC8 yet but it is smaller and maybe it fits without any mods. I have to check if it fits since I have the Cobra as well. Since I was using the SC8 chassis all I did was move a little bit the motor and had no problems with the fuel tank. Haven't checked with RC8 chassis for clearance. but you can use offset fuel tank mounts from JQ Products "The Car" fuel tank mounts or make new mounting locations for it. I will try the Serpent trany and see if it fits. The OFNA tranny has to be shimmed correctly to fit so buy a few.
Interesting.......what was the main goal, low cost alternative, flat chassis....both of those or something else? What is your 'caster angle' ??? (Is that indeed a flat chassis?)
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote