R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #8701
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed-dom
I don't have a clutch tool either , I install the spring nut initially with my kung fu grip. If the clutch is assembled and I want to adjust that in the car, I use a pick to lock the spring nut in place and then use a 2.5mm wrench and turn the crank shaft screw to adjust.

Dom
That must be some grip.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #8702
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
In my opinion you will never get the suspension setup properly without some type of station.
Yup. Jim is right. It's impossible to get a perfect setup without a setup station.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #8703
A
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to A

ok..so i gotta get my car on a hudy b4 i run it.. once the car is dialed in it should be ok untill i run on another track or crash.. i shouldnt be needing to use it every time i run the car right?.. im trying to workout weather i need to actuall invest in one of those bad boys coz they r kinda pricy... mmm better make some friends or spend some cash..

im soooo keen to run this car but i wont rush it, i want everything to be just right!
A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #8704
Tech Elite

I don't own a Hudy setup station. I use a good old RPM gauge. If you do not have the money for Hudy, Integy offers setup stations for quite a bit cheaper.

Dom
Old 02-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #8705
A
Tech Initiate

thanx, so the Integy stations r worth buying.. will you get your car setup as good as with the hudy and just a little less overall build quality of the setup unit, or are they just not as accurate in setting the actual car?
Old 02-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #8706
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by A
thanx, so the Integy stations r worth buying.. will you get your car setup as good as with the hudy and just a little less overall build quality of the setup unit, or are they just not as accurate in setting the actual car?
To be real honest with you and this is how I setup and race my car. By no means I'm against using a setup station.

I go to a track, look at the trac and put on what I think is a decent baseline setup and I use my RPM guage to obtain that. I'll throw the car on the track during practice and drive it and then what I'll do is I'll ask my pit guy to adjust my car when I come in to the pit lane. I'll tell him to give me quarter turn more toe, less toe, more camber, less camber, etc. Tuning on the fly like that is never going to let you have the perfect accurate side-to-side setup. So after he adjusts the car, I'll go out there to fly a few more laps, then come in for more adjustments if needed.

I'll do that until I'm satisfy with the car...And then when I go back to the pit, what I do? I don't hardly even put my good old trusty RPM gauge to see where my setting is. I just put it on the board, eyeball everything and leave the car there. If I have a bit of time between heats and what not, I might put my RPM gauge and just look at where I at in terms of setup, but I wouldn't be so worry that if my right side has half a degree less or more then the left side.

A lot of people think I'm a bit nuts or lazy, but I (actually my pit guy) does a lot of adjusting in that 5 min warmup. My theory is that if I'm waiting to go up to a long main, chances are it's been at least 1/2 hour since I drove on the track, traction, temp constantly changes throughout the day, so doing a lot of tuning on the fly during my warmup laps by my pit guy, I can't be too worry about having a uniformed setup.

Dom
p.s. I've used my pit buddy's Integy setup station, it works pretty well.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #8707
A
Tech Initiate

sweet thanx for the info bro..
Old 02-04-2007, 02:22 AM   #8708
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use a Hudy set-up station when ever I have time This station lets you keep track of the adjustments you have made If I get lazy or there is not much time, I just use the eyeball method as what litespeed-dom mentioned

doki_doki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #8709
Tech Elite

Anyone of you guys using this tool from Kyosho? It's a pinion tool remover (VZW221). It's is very easy to use and does not damage the pinion gears that you remove and especially the lightened clutch bell. Also, it has a guage in the middle where you can easily use to measure the amount of end play when setting up the clutch

Here's one end for removing the first pinion gear (15T to 17T)

Here's the other end for removing the 2nd pinion gear (20T to 23T)
Old 02-04-2007, 02:47 AM   #8710
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by A
sweet thanx for the info bro..
Keep in mind that Dom is a successful experienced racer. He knows what a 1/2 turn of toe-in will do for the rear. Unless you have a highly knowledgeable pitguy (like I do ) I wouldn't recommend eyeballing it. I would trust Dom to make adjustments to my car but I don't think I would want to rely on myself to make on-the-fly changes... just yet. Experience is the key.

I have a Hudy, like doki's, but I know others that use Integy and PMB without problems.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #8711
Tech Elite

Once you've built the car, try and set it up based on the setup sheet that was included with the kit. Then ask someone with a setup station, if they can check your car (first choice, because they have experience doing it) or if you can borrow it (second choice). If you're lucky, the hobby shop you bought the car from will have a setup station in-store. This will give you an idea of how off or on the mark your settings are.

Who knows? Maybe you're pretty good at eyeballing it.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 02-04-2007 at 04:56 AM.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #8712
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Once you've built the car, try and set it up based on the setup sheet that was included with the kit. Then ask someone with a setup station, if they can check your car (first choice, because they have experience doing it) or if you can borrow it (second choice). If you're lucky, the hobby shop you bought the car from will have a setup station in-store. This will give you an idea of how off or on the mark your settings are.

Who knows? Maybe you're pretty good at eyeballing it.
i couldnt use the eyeball method i use to and it got me in trouble so i got the integy setup system and also got a RRR so those 2 together make a big difference if you are good you can use eye meth. ive seen it done and the guy stayed in the A main then he got a serpent and a setup station no more A main for him
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #8713
Tech Elite

doki, Jim and Rainer,

You guys are absolutely correct! Definitely use some reputable measuring device to get your car initially setup. One thing I'd failed to mentioned and I apologize is that with time and experience, racers will be able to tell just by eyeballing and also as Jim mentioned would have the experience to know what 1/2 or 1 degree does to the car.

And I'll reiterate again, there is nothing wrong with putting gauges to your car everytime if you want to make an adjustment!

Thank you guys for the posts!

Dom
Old 02-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #8714
Tech Elite

Well, one thing that I keep in mind when making adjustments in my kit is that I make small adjustments at a time and just to one portion of the car. This helps me in a way that I would know what that adjustment did to my cars handling. I've seen some poeple do so much adjustments in one time in different portions and ending up with no improvement..
Old 02-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #8715
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

what body would you guys recommend for my rrr wce