R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #7741
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert maestrey
personally I like the one way...tried the solid in practice at the Glc....but I was much faster with the one-way....im gonna try to run the solid some more to get used to it....but right now for me I feel the one way is faster.
I know what you mean. It took me a some time getting used to it.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #7742
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

I would first of all change the shock oil to kyosho 500 or 600 - the Assos oils you are running are quite hard oils: 60WT Assos is approx 700 Kyosho; 70WT Assos is almost 1000 Kyosho, which is almost a diff oil.
These heavy oils will cause the transition of the car to slow down when you lift off or go onto the throttle.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #7743
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp27
Nice report, Robert!

I'm off to the European Championship on Sunday - a full week of testing and racing at the superb Heemstede track in Holland.

Really looking forward to it!!

Cheers, Mark.

good luck mark....

Robert...

Guys sorry havent posted setup yet it will be up soon from Glc
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #7744
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
personally I like the one way...tried the solid in practice at the Glc....but I was much faster with the one-way....im gonna try to run the solid some more to get used to it....but right now for me I feel the one way is faster.
Nice job at the GLC Robert, sounds like a great event to attend.
I agree with you on the one way, our club races are open enough to lay down some good traction. Some of the other events are really tight and low grip
Later, Mike
Mike Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:54 AM   #7745
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp27
The grip levels generally experienced at the tracks here in europe prevent us from running one-ways. They work ok, but there is a very small window in which they work well. Also most tracks here are large and normally have a couple of places where you have to break hard.
A solid works well here, but my driving style requires heaps of steering at turn-in, so I always run a diff setup. For the normal grip levels, a front 10k and rear 7k works really well and you end up with a very lively car which turns in extremely well - also powering out of the corners is excellent.
On a high grip circuit here, you can only really run a max of 30k rear diff oil, otherwise the rear end becomes too unstable powering out of corners.

Cheers, Mark.
You are right about the diff oil! I have been trying softer and softer diff oil and the handeling gets better and better.

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #7746
Tech Elite

Ziggy, try softer springs, too - Serpent yellow rears and red fronts work well - they are both softer than the Kyosho silvers. Combine those with a 500 Kyosho oil and you'll have a car which is incredibly easy to drive. You may find you need to go a bit harder with the springs at the front, though.

If you're running at aldershot, I'm sure that setup will work extremely well!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #7747
Tech Elite

Quote:
good luck mark....

Robert...

Thanks Robert - I just hope the weather improves - we've been having a lot of rain and I can't see that it is supposed to change.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #7748
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys thanks for all the kind words...I really appreciate it
Old 08-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #7749
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Robert, you are probably still working on getting your setup on the sheet. But let me ask iif you tried different bodies throughout the event? What did you end up running? Thanks buddy!

Dom
Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #7750
Tech Fanatic

Here's the setup I ran at the GLC

F:

Shock oil: 600 wt
Diaphragm: Stock
Shock piston: 1 hole
Spring: front black
Shock position: 1.5
castor angle: 10.5 deg
camber angle: 2
toe angle: 1 deg out
front width: 199
droop-downstop- 0
Roll bar: soft
Tire: jaco 42 at 57.5mm
Ride height: 4
Knuckle arm: 0 deg
servo saver: 11
rollcenter upper arm position- stock
one way

Rear:
Shock oil: 600 wt
Diaphragm: stock
Shock piston: 2 hole
Shock spring: gold
shock position: 2
upper arm height: 2mm shim
camber angle: 3.5
toe angle: 1.5 deg
rear width: 200mm
downstop (droop): 3
antiroll bar: 2.0
Tire: Jaco 50 at 59.5 mm
wheel offset: 0
ride height: 5
roll center lower arm position: stock
Rear diff : 100,000 wt
Gearing: 16/23 61/55
Clutch shoe: grey
spring: standard
clearance: .4
Adj nut:1.2
Body: protoform stratus 3.1
Engine:Sirio Evo3 Sti
7 sirio plug
25%Tornado

Car was very good, had a slight mid corner push
Enjoy

Robert Maestrey
Old 08-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #7751
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed-dom
Hey Robert, you are probably still working on getting your setup on the sheet. But let me ask iif you tried different bodies throughout the event? What did you end up running? Thanks buddy!

Dom

Dude you must be a mind reader...check out the time when you posted asking your question and when my sheet went on .... spooky....Dom

Didnt try anything but the stratus...was having problems..so the body wasnt a main concern....

Robert Maestrey
Old 08-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #7752
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Dude you must be a mind reader...check out the time when you posted asking your question and when my sheet went on .... spooky....Dom

Didnt try anything but the stratus...was having problems..so the body wasnt a main concern....

Robert Maestrey
That is freaky!

Thanks Robert! We've been running at least 40k rear diff oil up here, might give 30k a try this weekend. Seems like guys are running lower weight oil to calm the rear end down a bit, but honestly with 50k I wasn't really having a big problem with the rear end. My rear end has been planted with 50k oil on mid and high traction traction. It does come around a bit on low bite track though.

As far as bodies go... I've tried 3.1 and M-type with limited time and been going back to the Mazda on each occasion. The Mazda has been good to me and I figure why mess with what's working.

Dom
Old 08-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #7753
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

Quote:
That is freaky!

Thanks Robert! We've been running at least 40k rear diff oil up here, might give 30k a try this weekend. Seems like guys are running lower weight oil to calm the rear end down a bit, but honestly with 50k I wasn't really having a big problem with the rear end. My rear end has been planted with 50k oil on mid and high traction traction. It does come around a bit on low bite track though.

As far as bodies go... I've tried 3.1 and M-type with limited time and been going back to the Mazda on each occasion. The Mazda has been good to me and I figure why mess with what's working.

Dom
I've tried the 3.1 and the Kawahara lexus. The lexus definately makes my car come around and just feels more responsive. The 3.1 felt too planted. I painted up a M-type but didn't get a chance to mount it. I would like to try the Mazda though.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #7754
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
That is freaky!

Dom

At the glc I used 100,000
Old 08-11-2006, 12:48 AM   #7755
Tech Initiate

Hi,

would you put the setup of the clutch that you use?
does somebody know the hardness of the new docks of the evo regarding the normal?

thank you
TMG4EVOII is offline   Reply With Quote