R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #7576
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE ELLIS
For those who are having the problem of rear tire coning from outside /in the suspention down travel should be checked. I noticed on the set up posted that down travel is not mentioned. The RRR seems to work best with 2-3 mm down travel from ride height. The traction at most of our tracks is low/medium. Rear tow is 2-3 degrees in and camber is 2-3 degrees neg. With 2-3 mm droop (down travel ) the tires wear flat or slightly coned from inside to out. The shock length needs to be checked to be sure of proper droop. Remember the droop needs to be checked every time you have to run the collars up or down. I do not use setup blocks at all. I set the ride height and lift the car up and lower it until the wheels touch and remeasure. Also sometimes it's hard to stop the reverse coning if you have long fast corners in the same direction. In that case you could end up with different camber setting left to right anyway.
Hope this helps, Mike
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #7577
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnson
Kyosho America has just received these new parts:

VZW204 Rear Adjustable Stabilizer Set(RRR/RRR E
VZW204-01 Rear Adjustable Stabilizer Bar(RRR/RRR E
VZW219 Universal Swing Shaft Set(RRR/RRR Evo/2P
What is the diffrence with the universal swingshaft VZW219 - than say the other stock (WCE) and optional (2mm offset wheel) sets?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #7578
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed-dom
Couple more...

Dom
Where did you get that plastic lower bumper and what part number?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:41 AM   #7579
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_ntc3
hey dom
what are the part numbers you need to do the stand up servo conversion?
was it expensive to do?
is it worthwhile (easier to wire up servos and reciever?)

Here are the part# and pricing straight from Kyosho America website.
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/comingsoon.asp

You'll need
FM509B Small Parts Set(EVOLVA/RRR Evo.9 July $6.99
VZ241 Carbon Upper Plate(RRR Evo) July $41.99
VZ102C Servo Saver & Holder(RRR/RRR Evo) July $6.99
VZ246 Rubber Grommet(3x7x5/Ditch 5/Length2mm/5 July $3.99

It isn't very expensive. Once at a race, I had the mixing arm shaft screw came loose underneath the top deck, I had to take the throttle servo out to get to it and it was a pain. Now I have less screws and moving parts to worry about.

Dom
Old 07-20-2006, 08:43 AM   #7580
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
What is the diffrence with the universal swingshaft VZW219 - than say the other stock (WCE) and optional (2mm offset wheel) sets?
VZW219 is actually 2mm longer in the bones so that there is more "bite" into the outdrive for the front diff.

Dom
Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #7581
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
Where did you get that plastic lower bumper and what part number?
Also from Kyosho America site.
VZ244 Wide Bumper Set(RRR/RRR Evo) July $6.99

Dom
p.s. Check the "New & Coming Soon" page often.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:52 AM   #7582
Tech Master

Quote:
VZW219 is actually 2mm longer in the bones so that there is more "bite" into the outdrive for the front diff.

Dom
Ahh, so they are for the front.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #7583
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here are some pic.s of the car. Itook the rear swaybar off because it wouldn't allow the arms to hang to horizontal. Even with the bar off and the shock-ballcup almost unscrewed, the arms only "just" hang flat. Is this normal?
John
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho v-one rrr-img_1673.jpg   Kyosho v-one rrr-img_1674.jpg   Kyosho v-one rrr-img_1675.jpg   Kyosho v-one rrr-img_1676.jpg   Kyosho v-one rrr-img_1677.jpg  

jjmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #7584
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmudd
Here are some pic.s of the car. Itook the rear swaybar off because it wouldn't allow the arms to hang to horizontal. Even with the bar off and the shock-ballcup almost unscrewed, the arms only "just" hang flat. Is this normal?
John
Check your droop settings. From your picture it doesn't look like the droop screws are causing the problem since the left screw looks un-screwed. But check the droop settings first, then if that doesn't work un-screw your shock ends 1-1.5mm (or however long enough).

Last edited by performula; 07-20-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #7585
Tech Elite

John, just by looking at the pics, I noticed a couple of things...

You have the shortest ball ends on the shock shafts right now. The way as it sits now when your wheels are off the ground, the shocks are actually limiting the arms "downtravel". I currently am using the medium ballends so I can run smaller tires and still retain correct droop settings. What I mean by medium ballends, take a look at the ballends being used on your steering rods, those are "medium" ball ends.

One thing to do to confirm if the shocks are limiting your arms' downtravel is to pop the shocks off, your arms should flop down a bit more.

IF that doesn't allow your arms to go lower, the second item I noticed is that your rear uprights are awefully close to the arms. Meaning the pivot balls are screwed in for quite a bit. I can't 100% tell on the picture, but the right rear upright is almost hitting the end of the arm. If that is the case, it can potentially limit the arm travel.

So, with your tires on right now, check your track width to make sure you are at 200mm. Because from the looks of your wheels, those are 0mm offset wheels, and the gap between your inside wheel and the camber link screw, you are running stock rear axles. I believe you are below 200mm right now.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Dom
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #7586
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
John

i think the ball cap at the end of the shock shaft is a little too short, this limits the movement of the arms downward, relative to the chassis. i replace the cap with a longer one, but the next longer size cap is a bit too long, i have to remove some material from it to make it work. with this change, you should have enough droop even when you run smaller size tires at the rear.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #7587
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dom,
Good eyes!! They are 0 degree offset. The front track is 200mm but the rear is about 196mm. I found that the swaybar limited travel as well, that is why I took it off. There is an after market aluminum piece that the swaybar mounts to and I wonder if it is taller than the stock piece. I believe the part to be a 3Racing unit.

I am going to make a few changes to the car:
Limit the up travel of the front arms, lengthen the ballcaps on the rear shocks, put the front swaybar to stiffest setting, and go harder springs front and softer rear.(starting with the spring change first).

By the way...thanks everyone, for the help on here with the car. I really appreciate it!!

John
jjmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #7588
Tech Master

Quote:
Dom,
Good eyes!! They are 0 degree offset. The front track is 200mm but the rear is about 196mm. I found that the swaybar limited travel as well, that is why I took it off. There is an after market aluminum piece that the swaybar mounts to and I wonder if it is taller than the stock piece. I believe the part to be a 3Racing unit.

I am going to make a few changes to the car:
Limit the up travel of the front arms, lengthen the ballcaps on the rear shocks, put the front swaybar to stiffest setting, and go harder springs front and softer rear.(starting with the spring change first).

By the way...thanks everyone, for the help on here with the car. I really appreciate it!!

John
The 196 in the rear could be a majority of the problem. I run 0mm offset rears in the rear too, but now I put washers in between the wheel and hub. This is a very temporary solution until I get the optional shafts. I have lost a race because the left rear came off. Now I use a little threadlock to make up for Nylon threadling.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #7589
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Ice_nl

Quote:
Also from Kyosho America site.
VZ244 Wide Bumper Set(RRR/RRR Evo) July $6.99

Dom
p.s. Check the "New & Coming Soon" page often.
I use the wide front bumper from an RR (VZ-82 i think) but sometimes the ends of the bumper can drag, is this the same with the bumper designed for the RRR? And do any of you run with lola or loletta bodies? As most pics in this topic are with touring bodies.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #7590
Tech Elite

The new RRR wide bumper is meant for Lola bodies, the package comes with front body mounts and body post plate meant for Lola type bodies.

What I did last night was to trim the wide bumper to the same contour as my pdub foam bumper, so the potential of the corners dragging will be minimal.

Dom