R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #5926
Tech Regular

can someone explain to me the difference between a oneway, a diff, and a spool (advantages,disadvantages).
bosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #5927
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think jeffreylin said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
...in truth, many upgrades we do to our cars do not improve our lap times at all, but they sure make us feel better about our cars, and i am certainly guilty of that. but this is a hobby and you should have fun with it.
My current view is, that any pro driver can tune the current line of top cars out of the box and perform well. We've either witnessed or read stories about pro drivers taking the slowest car on track (usually a rookie's), tuning it "as is" and beating the fastest car on the track. Just like any other sport, there are those that are naturals at tuning and driving.

As for the rest of us mere mortals, we need all the help we can get - even if it's purely psychological.

There are certain upgrades that will definitely improve a car's performance - bearings, belts, servos, chassis, etc. And certainly upgrades that will definitely improve a car's durability - 7075 aluminum, titanium, composites, etc. These types of upgrades are definitely money well spent.

There are other upgrades, that I feel are more dependent on the tuner for performance gains rather than the products themselves. Such examples would include someone buying a Skyline V12 tuned pipe that doesn't know how to tune an engine - or someone buying a blade swaybar that doesn't know how to adjust it properly - or someone changing springs and not knowing what corresponding shock oil weight to use. In these examples, the upgrades actually result in zero to negative performance gains.

I guess my point is, whatever upgrades you do, need to work for you. It doesn't neccessarily matter what other people think (but their opinion and experience should be taking into consideration) or if the upgrades work or don't work for someone else. If you can make something work and gain from it, that's great. If other people can gain something from your experience, then that's great too - but that won't always be the case. If you buy something and it doesn't work, it's important to understand why it's not working for you, instead of initially blaming the product or someone else's recommendation. An exception would be if the part is truly garbage or made of inferior materials (i.e. 3Racing is really getting slammed by the MTX-4 guys).

One thing I've noticed about this hobby, is that people are very respectful of other people's opinon - even if they don't agree with you. I really love it when you find things out the hard way and someone has that "See, I told you so?" grin on their face.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #5928
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
B4: RC Champ is definitely a winner! Placed an order with them today and even with shipping and the PayPal fee, they still came out way cheaper than just the parts alone from the other online guys in HK. We'll see how long it takes to get here from Japan. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Parts only: $50.91 versus HK Web site - $89.30 versus LHS est. $99.36; Shipping & PayPal fee: $17.35
Wow! My stuff came today and it only took 3 days! AWESOME!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #5929
Tech Rookie

Robert!! Talk to me dude. I'm online right now live and direct from Mandeville, Jamaica
Josh
ky-JOSH-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #5930
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-JOSH-o
Robert!! Talk to me dude. I'm online right now live and direct from Mandeville, Jamaica
Josh
whats up josh... hope all is welll.....how you like to new ride
our season is finally over now.....waiting for regionals and nats coming up.
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #5931
Tech Master

What spares are necessary?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #5932
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert maestrey
whats up josh... hope all is welll.....how you like to new ride
our season is finally over now.....waiting for regionals and nats coming up.
Robert, the man's car is hooked, but I will be serving him some humble pie on sunday
U going to Go-racing on sunday?
dougday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #5933
Tech Regular

Quote:
Wow! My stuff came today and it only took 3 days! AWESOME!!!
When you get that website going, please post it here. Really looking forward to it
Old 04-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #5934
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougday
Robert, the man's car is hooked, but I will be serving him some humble pie on sunday
U going to Go-racing on sunday?
No I will be out of action until.......sour grapes
Hey Doug are you going to sedan Nats.....I need to team up with somebody....I am not going all the way to Cali...if you know what i mean..
Old 04-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #5935
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
What spares are necessary?
For the WCE I would suggest:

- Front suspension arms and hubs. L/R hubs are not interchangeable.
- Rear hubs. Also, replace the rear hub top screw with a longer one, because it might pull out on you in a crash.
- End cap set. Even if you adjust your steering end points, the shock endcaps still get scratched up a bit.
- Aluminum collar for the rear hub, in case the screw does pull out.
- Rear shock stay - Talk is they break. Mine hasn't, but I have an extra.
- Extra muffler bracket (only if you don't thread lock it down).
- Buy an allen head screw kit to build the kit (RC Screwz is probably a good choice. Guys?) The kit screws head strip too easily - you can use them as emergency spares. I didn't know better and used the kit screws.
- Hop-ups that are good to get from the start are the 3Racing throttle mixing arm, brake braket, brake bar and side stiffner.

The car is extremely durable. If you're a pretty clean driver, you may never need to use the spares.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #5936
Tech Regular

Quote:
No I will be out of action until.......sour grapes
Hey Doug are you going to sedan Nats.....I need to team up with somebody....I am not going all the way to Cali...if you know what i mean..
Not going, but check with Lance, He should be going
Old 04-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #5937
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Not going, but check with Lance, He should be going

Doug ...if Lance was going he would be going with Dj...
Old 04-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #5938
Tech Regular

Quote:
For the WCE I would suggest:

- Front suspension arms and hubs. L/R hubs are not interchangeable.
- Rear hubs. Also, replace the rear hub top screw with a longer one, because it might pull out on you in a crash.
- End cap set. Even if you adjust your steering end points, the shock endcaps still get scratched up a bit.
- Aluminum collar for the rear hub, in case the screw does pull out.
- Rear shock stay - Talk is they break. Mine hasn't, but I have an extra.
- Extra muffler bracket (only if you don't thread lock it down).
- Buy an allen head screw kit to build the kit (RC Screwz is probably a good choice. Guys?) The kit screws head strip too easily - you can use them as emergency spares. I didn't know better and used the kit screws.
- Hop-ups that are good to get from the start are the 3Racing throttle mixing arm, brake braket, brake bar and side stiffner.

The car is extremely durable. If you're a pretty clean driver, you may never need to use the spares.

VZW206-21 21T AL

The gear on the mainshaft will wear out too so the above part no. will solve that problem. Add, also, a fuel tank. the following hardened gears are also a must have
VZW066-20 20T
VZW066-21 21T AL
VZW066-22T 22T
VZW066-23T 23T
VZW215-15 15T
VZW215-16 16T
VZ217 2.3 SWAY BAR
Old 04-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #5939
Tech Regular

Quote:
Doug ...if Lance was going he would be going with Dj...
I hope you find somebody, cause that's a long way to go and not have a pitman to work with.

Maybe other guys in this forum might be going and need somebody to team up with.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #5940
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I hope you find somebody, cause that's a long way to go and not have a pitman to work with.

Maybe other guys in this forum might be going and need somebody to team up with.
Thats exaclty it Im not going unless i have someone to wrok with...