R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2006, 10:31 AM   #5866
Tech Elite
 
tommi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: MATRIX
Posts: 2,898
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

On the VSW006, I don't remember if this has not been discussed so far; I've tried taking away the 2mm spacers and put on 0mm offset wheels, it's CLOSE to the rear hub, but still there's a 2mm clearance, so I guess it it should be ok.



tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #5867
Tech Elite
 
tommi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: MATRIX
Posts: 2,898
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
That chart is very helpful great info. That's why I like RCTECH so much, always good info. to get. Thanks Tommi.
It's all about sharing and learning in this hobby... Kudos to SlowSteady and NiMo for putting up such great info on 3Hobby.net.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #5868
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Either VSW007 or VSW006 will be fine. You just have to take note of the wheel offset you are using. Please see my two previous threads for reference:

Posts #5400 and #5406 on the next page:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...37#post2219937
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #5869
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So Florida
Posts: 937
Default

just out of curiousity, what is the advantage of using a 2mm offset?
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #5870
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemugen
just out of curiousity, what is the advantage of using a 2mm offset?
I tried to find this information out of the Web and couldn’t find anything. Maybe someone has this info at their finger tips. My personal opinion, is that the zero mm offset offers a better distribution of downward force across the width of the tire, based on a more negative camber settings. But that's just my theory - I could be completely wrong.

The wheels that come with the WCE kit have a 2mm offset. The setup sheets shows a camber of 0.5. Based on my theory, if you leave it at 0.5 and don't have a coning problem, the 2mm offset would give you better downward force accross the tire than a zero offet wheel.

The ground truth and other theories would be greatly appreciated.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #5871
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: So Florida
Posts: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
I tried to find this information out of the Web and couldn’t find anything. Maybe someone has this info at their finger tips. My personal opinion, is that the zero mm offset offers a better distribution of downward force across the width of the tire, based on a more negative camber settings. But that's just my theory - I could be completely wrong.

The wheels that come with the WCE kit have a 2mm offset. The setup sheets shows a camber of 0.5. Based on my theory, if you leave it at 0.5 and don't have a coning problem, the 2mm offset would give you better downward force accross the tire than a zero offet wheel.

The ground truth and other theories would be greatly appreciated.
the only real advantage that i ever used was, for example, if your car teched at 201mm, you could replace the 2mm spacer with a 1.5mm spacer (one 1mm and one .5mm) so it makes it a lot easier to change your track width
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #5872
Tech Elite
 
tommi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: MATRIX
Posts: 2,898
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemugen
just out of curiousity, what is the advantage of using a 2mm offset?
It's about "wheel flex". Offset wheels have less flex, giving a more stable and predictable handling comparing to 0 offset wheels.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #5873
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommi
It's about "wheel flex". Offset wheels have less flex, giving a more stable and predictable handling comparing to 0 offset wheels.
That makes senses to me. If this is the case, why would anyone want to use zero offset wheels? Unfortunately, some wheels only come with a zero offset.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #5874
Tech Elite
 
tommi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: MATRIX
Posts: 2,898
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
That makes senses to me. If this is the case, why would anyone want to use zero offset wheels? Unfortunately, some wheels only come with a zero offset.
The choice on wheels depends on the car characteristics and also the drivers' preference in my opinion, some like flexible wheels, some like hard wheels. I was driving the NTC3 before the RRR, the NTC3 runs great on normal 0mm offset tires, there's simply no need for offset wheels, the car is designed to use normal wheels.

Both normal and offset wheels has got different handling characteristics that some like and some don't. To me, it's another tuning option to the "flex" dimension of the car.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #5875
jag
Tech Master
 
jag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 1,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommi






Hope these pics are clear enough, this is how the spacer works on the VSW007. Without the spacer, the shaft will be left sliding in and out of the rear hub. On an alternative wheel hex, 3Racing makes one with 1mm offset, still does not quite work without a spacer. The spacer is doing the job good, no worries; I've used both 0 offset and 2mm offset wheels on the VSW007, no problems at all.
Thanks. That helps alot.

What wheel hexes are you using and what are you using for the 2mm washers?
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #5876
jag
Tech Master
 
jag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 1,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommi
On the VSW006, I don't remember if this has not been discussed so far; I've tried taking away the 2mm spacers and put on 0mm offset wheels, it's CLOSE to the rear hub, but still there's a 2mm clearance, so I guess it it should be ok.



Did you ever race the car setup like this? If so, did you find that the wheel rubbed the upright at any time? I know in the past with my 710 if I used Jaco tires in the front, they would rub a groove in the steering arm from flexing and bending. I had to use a 1mm spacer.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #5877
Tech Elite
 
tommi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: MATRIX
Posts: 2,898
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Thanks. That helps alot.

What wheel hexes are you using and what are you using for the 2mm washers?
The hexes are 3Racing ones, 0mm offset hex. The 2mm spacers is included in the VSW007.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #5878
Tech Elite
 
tommi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: MATRIX
Posts: 2,898
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Did you ever race the car setup like this? If so, did you find that the wheel rubbed the upright at any time? I know in the past with my 710 if I used Jaco tires in the front, they would rub a groove in the steering arm from flexing and bending. I had to use a 1mm spacer.
I do not have 0mm offset wheel shaft to try it out, I believe rmdhawaii got himself the VSW006 with the 0mm offset wheel shaft, maybe he can give you an account on that?
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #5879
Tech Adept
 
deviltires's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: va.
Posts: 191
Default

whats a good set up for a big track with sweeping turns traction is good
__________________
DARNELL WASHINGTON-- TEAM MUGEN----FUTABA 4PK--HOT RACE TIRES
deviltires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 AM   #5880
Tech Elite
 
maskedrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MP9 is here ...stay tune !
Posts: 2,039
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommi






Hope these pics are clear enough, this is how the spacer works on the VSW007. Without the spacer, the shaft will be left sliding in and out of the rear hub. On an alternative wheel hex, 3Racing makes one with 1mm offset, still does not quite work without a spacer. The spacer is doing the job good, no worries; I've used both 0 offset and 2mm offset wheels on the VSW007, no problems at all.
OMG !!!!! My setting exactly the same as YOU !!!!!
__________________
Kyosho- Sirio/ OS engine- AVID bearing- Blue thunder fuel- Proline- RC dynamite- Sanwa- RC Art
maskedrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FOR SALE - Mugen MBX5T ProSpec and Kyosho STR with chassis conversion and Kyosho big MattWells R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 04-28-2017 10:25 AM
1986 1/12 Kyosho Plazma MKIII With Kyosho LeMan 600E Motor Funkymojo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 05-17-2012 11:11 AM
Custom painted Kyosho SP2 and Kyosho STRR bodies.... RC3 Graphics SWEET W/ PICS CRFXXXT R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 01-07-2008 07:38 PM
MACH. 28/NEW PS, KYOSHO MINI INFERNO ST/W/3NEW IB1400 8 CELL PACKS, KYOSHO 1./8 BUGGY newbie2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 11-18-2007 06:07 PM
Convert Kyosho Quick Start system on Kyosho QRC to Pullstart Morpheus2be Monster Trucks 0 02-16-2005 11:26 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:25 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net