R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #5821
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75
I'm trying to adjust my 2 speed to shift sooner, so I'm going to take it apart and put it together again. Any idea on how many turns I should go when putting in the screws??
tighten them all the way down...then back off 3 turns on both screws try that as a starting point.......then go 1/4 turn on each clockwise to shift later or counter for earlier ...keep going in 1/4 increments until you get your correct shift point....This shift point should work on most tracks....depending on size of track you might have to gear the car differnetly that is the key.....
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #5822
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert maestrey
For one thing it lightens your weights......I was told to do this at W-nats by Bertin....And my clutch feels very nice since i have been doing it.....
What tools did you use?

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #5823
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewdawg
What tools did you use?

To make the holes bigger in the weights.....u can use a dremel, reamer, step bit.. several ways to do it.....need to be very carful not to deform the weight when doing it...
Old 04-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #5824
Tech Elite

Quote:
To make the holes bigger in the weights.....u can use a dremel, reamer, step bit.. several ways to do it.....need to be very carful not to deform the weight when doing it...
Which do you think is the safest?

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
Old 04-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #5825
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewdawg
Which do you think is the safest?
I used step bit worked very well....dont kill yourself to get exactly 3.8 if you know what I mean.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #5826
Tech Elite

Quote:
I used step bit worked very well....dont kill yourself to get exactly 3.8 if you know what I mean.
Yeah.. I know exactly what you mean. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2006, 04:57 AM   #5827
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

what exactly does lowering the weight of the rear diff oil do? say from the stock 30k weight to a 10k weight?

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:05 AM   #5828
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfritz
well these guys used to have it. heres the link that I saved as a favorite.
http://www.precisionrc.com/nv/car/pr...oduct_id=11861
when you do a normal search it comes up a goose eggs.
hey what are you all using to remove the pinions ?
I have the VZW040 wrench, works great for the second gear, but for the 1st gear does'nt for a flying #####
I have set of plyers that I have put shrink tube around the jaws, but looks a little cheesie.
The Kawahara sway bar looks like it would be a good option although you need to consider.
1) It is heavier than the standard components.
2) The softest setting is usually harder than the lightest Kyosho bar.
3) How often do you need to change the tension, if it's during a pit stop OK. But between races there is more than enough time.

To change the pinions get yourself this Serpent part. It's only USD$13 and you get two tools in the kit one for first gear and another for second. Kyosho make a tool to hold the clutch bell that I have but I can't remember the part number, you can also easily mod the Serpent one to do the same thing.
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 AM   #5829
Tech Fanatic

It allows for more diff action in the rear. If you're on a low bite track like a parking lot. 10K works pretty good. In extreme conditions, I've used 5-7K. It really helps keep the car from oversteering or breaking loose. But I've seen some really high-bite where you may want to go 50K. Diff oil is a great tuning aid. Experiment or better yet, make some spare diffs for quick changes at the track.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:14 AM   #5830
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014
what exactly does lowering the weight of the rear diff oil do? say from the stock 30k weight to a 10k weight?
As you go lighter in the diff oil you are allowing the diff action to occur. That is each side can rotate at different speeds.
B4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:54 AM   #5831
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4
The Kawahara sway bar looks like it would be a good option although you need to consider.
Not really an issue with this car. The car is already underweight. It will have an affect on the CG of the car's rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4
REALLY not a problem with this car! I found the softest rear sway bar to be much too soft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4
3) How often do you need to change the tension, if it's during a pit stop OK. But between races there is more than enough time.
If, ever needed, I'd say it would be a lot easier / quicker to change.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:22 AM   #5832
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702
Default the car

hope to see all the 3R s at the race next week vegas is the way
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:26 AM   #5833
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4

To change the pinions get yourself this Serpent part. It's only USD$13 and you get two tools in the kit one for first gear and another for second. Kyosho make a tool to hold the clutch bell that I have but I can't remember the part number, you can also easily mod the Serpent one to do the same thing.

1) I don't think the weight is a big issue but it's worth considering.
2) Unless you race on a track with no traction I don't think this is a problem.
3) I think the Kawahara piece allows for "fine" tuning.

I don't know about you guys but I don't care for the way the stock sway bar is mounted. I'm not a fan of the friction fit.

Is anybody using the Kawahara sway bar now? I think I saw one on Tosolini's car at the WinterNats.

BTW, the Serpent tool will not work. They use a different pitch on their gears.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #5834
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Hey joe that great to hear you coming back.....to be hones with you the stock setup works pretty well....if you want to see the setup I used at this years W-Nats just look back a few pages its on the rrr thread......see ya soon bud....
cool, thats what i was thinking--- the stock setup works good. by the way, what gearing are you running at go racing?
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #5835
jag
Tech Master

Default Wheel Hexes

Is anybody using aftermarket alum. wheel hexes? I don't like the stock ones. The pins are very difficult to remove. What are you guys using? Are there any that have 2mm offset?

Thanks
jag is offline   Reply With Quote