R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2004, 03:46 AM   #541
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
http://www.ziggy12345.plus.com/Cars/000_0028.MOV

RRR on a wet track. 7mb. Mines the green one and the other is a 710


http://www.ziggy12345.plus.com/Cars/000_0029.JPG

Team Photo. 710, RRR and FW053R
Not bad at all ... were you guys on foam tyres?
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:37 AM   #542
Tech Master
 
ziggy12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 1,596
Default

No rubber. CS27s i think.

Cheers
__________________
Dedicated RC Car Speed Site

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:02 AM   #543
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
No rubber. CS27s i think.

Cheers
Its going to be interesting to see how everyone does in the damp/wet without a commercial source of wet tyres available.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:05 PM   #544
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Its going to be interesting to see how everyone does in the damp/wet without a commercial source of wet tyres available.
The new Medial Pro's are supposed to be the wet tyre to have, it's just that no one can get their hands on them.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:17 PM   #545
Tech Master
 
ziggy12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 1,596
Default

I managed to get some 21mm pits and will use the Ufra foams when there is no standing water.

Is there no control wet tyre next year?
__________________
Dedicated RC Car Speed Site

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #546
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
I managed to get some 21mm pits and will use the Ufra foams when there is no standing water.

Is there no control wet tyre next year?
Usually when a race is declared wet the tyres are then opened to all types .. this is IFMAR so 'm guessing EFRA is the same.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #547
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
I managed to get some 21mm pits and will use the Ufra foams when there is no standing water.

Is there no control wet tyre next year?
No control tyre full stop.
What was the Foam class has gone to EFRA technical rules, so you can run either foam, rubber, or even both.
I have thought about qualifying on Foam but running the longer finals on Rubber, then I wont have to worry about tyre wear.

One thing EFRA allows but IFMAR don't, is the use of 4 wheel braking.

Last edited by NiMo; 11-13-2004 at 01:37 PM.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:35 PM   #548
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
No control tyre full stop.
What was the Foam class has gone to EFRA technical rules, so you can run either foam, rubber, or even both.
I have thought about qualifying on Foam but running the longer finals on Rubber, then I wont have to worry about tyre wear.
Oh, I didn't know that there was no control at all ... i.e. open tyres.

Your point about wear and running mains on rubber is interesting!
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #549
Tech Master
 
ziggy12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 1,596
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
No control tyre full stop.
What was the Foam class has gone to EFRA technical rules, so you can run either foam, rubber, or even both.
I have thought about qualifying on Foam but running the longer finals on Rubber, then I wont have to worry about tyre wear.

One thing EFRA allows but IFMAR don't, is the use of 4 wheel braking.
I thought it was the other way around. Allowing 2 wheel braking

Cheers
__________________
Dedicated RC Car Speed Site

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:36 PM   #550
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
I thought it was the other way around. Allowing 2 wheel braking

Cheers
IFMAR:

5.27 Not allowed:

4 wheel brakes.

Liquid cooled engines.

Hydraulic systems.

More than two (2) servos.

No more than 2-speed transmissions.


EFRA allows 2 and 4 wheel braking.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #551
rjl
Tech Fanatic
 
rjl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: OZ
Posts: 848
Default

I think you will find it refers to four wheel brake systems. Only one brake is permitted.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:34 PM   #552
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Your point about wear and running mains on rubber is interesting!
Yes but how long can you make the rubber tire last until it overheats and makes you slide all over?

It's simple mathematics. Count the amount of tire wear per 5 minute or so and you can get the total tire wear for the entire main. Count the minimum ride height at the end of the tire wear that you will allow yourself (perhaps 3 mm) and then add half of the tire wear will get you the ride height you should start with.

Minimum tire diameter should not go more than 54 or 55 mm if I'm not mistaken for most tires. Else you'll run on the plastic rims ! Max tire diameter out of the box (untrued) is 65 mm. So you get about 10 mm worth of tire wear that you can tolerate which equals 5 mm worth of ride height.

If the track does not permit you to run 8 mm ride height or the track simply requires you to run smaller tires or the track is so abrasive that you get more than 0.8 mm of tire wear per 5 minute run, then you need a tire change in the middle of the main.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:35 PM   #553
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
One thing EFRA allows but IFMAR don't, is the use of 4 wheel braking.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:36 PM   #554
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
EFRA allows 2 and 4 wheel braking.
I think you confused the definition of the rubber tire rules in BRCA which mentions that you need 4 wheel braking when running rubber tires (hence oneway on rubber tires is disallowed automatically).

I think the definition of the 4 wheel braking as stated in IFMAR is the use of independant servos for each wheel for braking like what is done on 1/5th scale.

IFMAR prohibits this and so should EFRA automatically.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:30 AM   #555
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Yes but how long can you make the rubber tire last until it overheats and makes you slide all over?

It's simple mathematics. Count the amount of tire wear per 5 minute or so and you can get the total tire wear for the entire main. Count the minimum ride height at the end of the tire wear that you will allow yourself (perhaps 3 mm) and then add half of the tire wear will get you the ride height you should start with.

Minimum tire diameter should not go more than 54 or 55 mm if I'm not mistaken for most tires. Else you'll run on the plastic rims ! Max tire diameter out of the box (untrued) is 65 mm. So you get about 10 mm worth of tire wear that you can tolerate which equals 5 mm worth of ride height.

If the track does not permit you to run 8 mm ride height or the track simply requires you to run smaller tires or the track is so abrasive that you get more than 0.8 mm of tire wear per 5 minute run, then you need a tire change in the middle of the main.
D, I know this and would always prefer to run foams when the rules allow it. I just found it interesting that NiMo was comptemplating doing what he said above.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FOR SALE - Mugen MBX5T ProSpec and Kyosho STR with chassis conversion and Kyosho big MattWells R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 04-28-2017 10:25 AM
1986 1/12 Kyosho Plazma MKIII With Kyosho LeMan 600E Motor Funkymojo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 05-17-2012 11:11 AM
Custom painted Kyosho SP2 and Kyosho STRR bodies.... RC3 Graphics SWEET W/ PICS CRFXXXT R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 01-07-2008 07:38 PM
MACH. 28/NEW PS, KYOSHO MINI INFERNO ST/W/3NEW IB1400 8 CELL PACKS, KYOSHO 1./8 BUGGY newbie2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 11-18-2007 06:07 PM
Convert Kyosho Quick Start system on Kyosho QRC to Pullstart Morpheus2be Monster Trucks 0 02-16-2005 11:26 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:22 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net