R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #5506
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jeffrey:

I realize that there are no magic recipes for tuning the car, making it faster or driving better - it's really all about getting educated, trial and error, making mistakes and keeping the things that work.

Everyone's opinion has value and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. There is a lot to learn and every piece of information I gather helps me get smarter to make better decisions. You guys have way more experience at this than I do and way more opportunity to tune your car than I do, so I can accelerate things quite a bit by taking your knowledge and applying it to my car - especially since we all have the same chassis.

I need to shave quite a number of seconds off of my lap times. I'm about 6 seconds behind the leaders - which is a lot to me. I know that if I stop letting go the throttle at every turn, I can save a 1/10th of a second at each turn, which will quickly add up to 1.6 seconds. I also need to learn to accelerate out of a turn much, much earlier than I'm doing now and learn to let the car drift a little. I understand the racing line extreme well, which I can follow at moderate speed while practicing, but I'm not skilled enough to follow it from the driver's stand while I'm racing.

Mechanically there is still a lot to do - engine mid and top end, setting the clutch and getting the 2-speed to kick in earlier in the straightaway than the halfway point. The 2-speed is easy enough to adjust; I just haven't had time to do it. I pretty much got the clutch thing figured out, but the engine is still going to take some tinkering.

The whole ball bearing thing came about, because I asked Ishitani what hop-ups they add to the standard MTX-4 kit and he said the bearings and the belts. Which begs the question, "Can ceramic ball bearings really make the car run that much faster?" Or rather in my case, "Given your tuning and driving skills, do you really think that ceramic bearings are going to improve your lap times?"

When I initally asked the question, I think I was expecting everyone to just provide some part numbers - not dissuade me from getting them and start a debate. But you know what, I'm learning a lot about ball bearings - including the fact that I need to maintain them!

So no matter what anyone says, "It's all good."

Thanks Jeffrey
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #5507
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNP HOBBIES
hey rob got your chassis will have it @ the kyosho cup

sweet....Love you man....
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #5508
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Jeffrey:

I realize that there are no magic recipes for tuning the car, making it faster or driving better - it's really all about getting educated, trial and error, making mistakes and keeping the things that work.

Everyone's opinion has value and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. There is a lot to learn and every piece of information I gather helps me get smarter to make better decisions. You guys have way more experience at this than I do and way more opportunity to tune your car than I do, so I can accelerate things quite a bit by taking your knowledge and applying it to my car - especially since we all have the same chassis.

I need to shave quite a number of seconds off of my lap times. I'm about 6 seconds behind the leaders - which is a lot to me. I know that if I stop letting go the throttle at every turn, I can save a 1/10th of a second at each turn, which will quickly add up to 1.6 seconds. I also need to learn to accelerate out of a turn much, much earlier than I'm doing now and learn to let the car drift a little. I understand the racing line extreme well, which I can follow at moderate speed while practicing, but I'm not skilled enough to follow it from the driver's stand while I'm racing.

Mechanically there is still a lot to do - engine mid and top end, setting the clutch and getting the 2-speed to kick in earlier in the straightaway than the halfway point. The 2-speed is easy enough to adjust; I just haven't had time to do it. I pretty much got the clutch thing figured out, but the engine is still going to take some tinkering.

The whole ball bearing thing came about, because I asked Ishitani what hop-ups they add to the standard MTX-4 kit and he said the bearings and the belts. Which begs the question, "Can ceramic ball bearings really make the car run that much faster?" Or rather in my case, "Given your tuning and driving skills, do you really think that ceramic bearings are going to improve your lap times?"

When I initally asked the question, I think I was expecting everyone to just provide some part numbers - not dissuade me from getting them and start a debate. But you know what, I'm learning a lot about ball bearings - including the fact that I need to maintain them!

So no matter what anyone says, "It's all good."

Thanks Jeffrey

Guys if you read my previous points on this topic I think you missed something.......its not only bearing..... Remember if you keep your car immaculant.....including bearings they will last......very long.......im still waiting to blow one Oh almost forgot...im testing the low friction sp belts and believe it or not I have the same set on my car since W-nats started until now....i want to see how long they last hopefully I dont loose one at the K-cup
Old 03-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #5509
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreasurada
I was just looking at the Boca bearings and i want to know
What difference do the different seals used in the YS and YU series? Which ones are better for onroad?

ys- rubber seals ......easier to remove to clean bearings

yu- metal shielded ....good luck removing to clean bearings

recommend ys
Old 03-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #5510
Tech Master

I doubt ceramic bearings will make your car go significantly faster. At present, I am using stock bearings lubricated with microlon. Its just as smooth as the ceramic bearings

In the last year's Asian Mugen Cup, I had the opportunity to have a closer look at Tanaka's and Fukuda's MTX3 when they were cleaning their cars. They were running stock standard bearings.
BundyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #5511
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been using SP belts for a while. I had a front belt last 6mo. Mid belt can last a while depending on debris and crashes. The rear belts don't last as long since most of the load is carried by it. Probably a month or 2 on that one depending on debris. Just change the rear pully cams to opposite sides, set in the middle and let the belt wear in.
Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #5512
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

My rear SP belt lasts for about 2 months as well.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #5513
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just ordered a muffler stay, and I got a straqight one. Totally different from what shows on the manual. It is the correct part number, but not the same thing. Any ideas??

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #5514
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris 75
I just ordered a muffler stay, and I got a straqight one. Totally different from what shows on the manual. It is the correct part number, but not the same thing. Any ideas??
What part number did you use?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #5515
Tech Elite

I think you have the right part. You have to bend it yourself...
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #5516
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kyosho3PKRacer Send a message via MSN to Kyosho3PKRacer

Yeah you have to bend it yourself incase you wanted to bend it a funny way or make it shorter or longer, i used a bit of heat, a vice and a hammer to do mine .

Probably can do it without heating it up to weaken it but it does give a nice red and black burnt charcoal effect
Kyosho3PKRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #5517
Tech Fanatic

Alright, I'll give it a try!!

Chris Kemper
Old 03-22-2006, 07:28 AM   #5518
Tech Elite

going to buy a OS Tz 3port engine.... any good pipe to tag along??

comment pls
Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 AM   #5519
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
I think you have the right part. You have to bend it yourself...
Has anyone tried using the mount from the MTX-4? I tried to use one from my 710 but it would not work. I would prefer a spring in there to help protect the pipe.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:56 AM   #5520
Tech Fanatic

Either the Skyline pipe, or the OS T-1040!!

Chris Kemper