R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #5446
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp27
That's an interesting idea, Ziggy! Not having had this on the 710, I never thought about that.

I take it with the inner position, you get more camber when the suspension compresses in comparison to the outer position?

Why is the 3mm shim necessary?

Cheers, Mark.
The kit is 2mm. The higher it is the lower the roll centre so more camber change. Even with no roll bar my tyres are coned in on both sides after 5 min heat.

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #5447
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Interesting. I was more interested in the performance benefits. Given that all bearings are suseptible to dirt, damage and other types of failure, why wouldn't you want the faster bearing?

I found this online: http://www.edsbearings.com/faqbearings.html
Check with Boca Bearings. They make a few different types of ceramics. They are very nice but expensive.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #5448
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Ah, ok I understand. But you wouldn't always want to change the roll-centre, so maybe it is better to try just the inner position first?
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:05 PM   #5449
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jeffrey: How many hours do you think you're getting between bearing changes and are you changing all 23 bearings? Which ones don't you change?

I did some simple math and total on-track time for me will probably be no more than 24 hours all year - one hour per race day (practice 30min, 2 qualifers @ 4min each and 3 mains @ 5min each) x 24 races a year.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #5450
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Jeffrey: How many hours do you think you're getting between bearing changes and are you changing all 23 bearings? Which ones don't you change?

I did some simple math and total on-track time for me will probably be no more than 24 hours all year - one hour per race day (practice 30min, 2 qualifers @ 4min each and 3 mains @ 5min each) x 24 races a year.
It's hard to say. As I mentioned earlier, the bearings go bad mainly due to collisions and dirt. So depends on how the race go, I may replace bearings as often as one race if I had a bad hit. On the flip side of that, some bearings are still good since when I built the car back in 04.

The wheel bearings especially outside ones tends to go bad easily. Bearings in the drive-train usually last a long time.

Please note that I have very strict standards when it comes to bearings. A lot of bearings I replaced might be consider good by others. I will replace them if they feel the slightest grittiness and not complete smooth.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #5451
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Check with Boca Bearings. They make a few different types of ceramics. They are very nice but expensive.
Thanks Jag! Wow! What a dizzying array of choices!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #5452
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp27
I'm of the same opinion - I once had a set and the rubber seals were really bad, they made contact with the bearings, thus causing aditional friction - my original bearings ran much better.

Mark I hate to disagree with you on this point......But the ceramics make the rrr drivetrain significantly smoother, it makes the car free in all aspects....Another point most of the top guys right now in the industry are using ceramics from one manufactuer or another.
there are some certain keys that help you get the most out of the bearings other than just putting ceramics in Im personally using Boca ceramics and it was a huge difference when I slpapped them on.....and they last.

Cheers friend

Remeber there are many things you can do to free up the drivetrain....ask and you shall receive...
robert maestrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #5453
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag

I wonder were you got that Idea from....
Old 03-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #5454
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

I have been racing Consistently in S.Florida for about two years every weekend......Racing all over the place.....I have noticed if you constantly maintain you bearing periodically you rarely have to replace them.....it takes alot of work but it save you having to replace bearings...its not easy but trust me it works
Old 03-20-2006, 05:23 PM   #5455
Tech Elite

Rob,

What bearings are you using? Would you happen to have the part numbers handy? There is so much to choose from, I want to make sure that I get the right ones for the RRR WC Edition.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #5456
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default bearings

I agree with you Robert, at least once a month the car comes completely apart and so do all the bearings. Cleaned and regreased and maybe if its for the main in a national they just get some after run oil
Old 03-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #5457
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Rob,

What bearings are you using? Would you happen to have the part numbers handy? There is so much to choose from, I want to make sure that I get the right ones for the RRR WC Edition.

Thanks!
www.bocabearings.com they should have a link for the rrr complete set...
they are expensive be prepared...if you dont want to pay that much..
you cant try www.acerracing.com very reasonable...I have never tried myself but I have heard some big names running them......
Old 03-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #5458
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedypeterb
I agree with you Robert, at least once a month the car comes completely apart and so do all the bearings. Cleaned and regreased and maybe if its for the main in a national they just get some after run oil

petey whats going on man.....are you slacking on me ......once a month come on you mean once a week ......and if its nationals or w-nats and big race definetly after each day....
Old 03-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #5459
Tech Fanatic

Mr Day how are you doing I see you are inspecting the thread...
Old 03-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #5460
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert maestrey
www.bocabearings.com they should have a link for the rrr complete set...
they are expensive be prepared...if you dont want to pay that much..
you cant try www.acerracing.com very reasonable...I have never tried myself but I have heard some big names running them......

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...&n=*25-420C-YU

hope this helps