Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho v-one rrr

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
fritzD: What brand? Kyosho? Got any part numbers?

Thanks!
it was kyosho.... damn, i threw away the paper that had its part no.... anyway, il go to my LHS and see its part number...
Old 03-16-2006, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

I'm kind of wondering if this is a problem with the kit. I decided to completely redo my alignment and when I was adjusting the downstop, the drive shaft was hanging out on the edge of the outdrives. In order for the drive shaft to be seated properly, with a 200mm trackwidth, the wheel offset would have to be something like 3-4mm. I'm thinking, "That can't be right. Can it?".

In the manual, step 22 shows that the distance between the pivot ball and the rear hub should be 4.2mm front and 4.5 mm back - but when you adjust the downstop and then the trackwidth, it's more than this - even with the wheels from the kit.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Yikes! Just three more days till the championship. How am I going to fix this?
As I'm using 0 offset wheels, I have to use +1mm offset wheel hexes at the rear in order to be able to get the 200mm width without the CVD driveshafts from hanging out. Actually they don't hang out, the are a bit too close to the edge for my liking, though.

Are you measuring your track width correctly. Make sure you place the car on a flat surface and press down to compress the suspension a little. What I do is place a metal ruler under the rear tyres and use the end of my hudy downstop tool to ensure the the end of the ruler is aligned with the outer edge of the wheel. Then going to the other side, I again place the downstop tool on the ruler and push the tool against the outside edge of the wheel. Then I can read off the exact trackwidth.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm using a Hudy setup board and standing up the ride height tool to make sure that I'm perpendicular to the wheel and board. With the driveshaft seated just at the edge of the outdrives before it bevels, my rear trackwidth is at 196mm. Front is 200mm.

If I could get longer outdrives or driveshafts, I would be in great shape, but given that I'm in Hawaii, it is highly unlikely that I will be able to obtain either of these before Saturday - but I will certainly give it a try. There is only one store here that really carries Kyosho touring car parts. They also carry Mugen and HPI, but I have no clue how interchangeable the parts are.

I just threw on the kit rear tires (luckily I didn't toss them) and it looks like it has a 2mm offset to allow for a 200mm trackwidth, with the driveshaft situated as indicated above - but the driveshaft should really be further in by at least 2-3mm to account for suspension travel.

Given what I've just stated, I'm making a big assumption that the new tires I purchased have a zero offset: http://www.gsracing.com/web/page.asp...atid=47&id=384. The code on the box reads DTM.30.37.GRP-C-W, if that means anything to anyone.

It seems that my situation could easily be remedied by purchasing some 2mm offset 30mm 37 shore tires, but even those may be hard to come by given the limited selection and inventory available at the store. I could also try getting the 1mm offset wheel hexes - and that will at least bring me up to 198mm.

I wish I would have know about all of this before I bought the new tires. Oh well! More living and learning.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a picture of my RRR WC - this is with +1 offset hexes (i.e. each side is +1mm offset) and the wheels are 0mm offset.

Yours should be the same if your wheels are 0 offset. You could always put 1mm spacers between the wheel hexes and the wheels themselves - I do this sometimes, so I can quickly change the tracking width without having to change the whole camber etc.

Cheers, Mark.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho v-one rrr-driveshaft.jpg  
Old 03-16-2006, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

You are also using New Arrows tyres, which I have on my car, too - the only difference being that you have the dished rims, whereas I have the spoked ones. Not sure if this makes a difference in the offset - but I would have thought if it wasn't noted on the box, then they should be 0mm offset.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

I just threw on the kit rear tires (luckily I didn't toss them) and it looks like it has a 2mm offset to allow for a 200mm trackwidth, with the driveshaft situated as indicated above - but the driveshaft should really be further in by at least 2-3mm to account for suspension travel.
A 2mm difference in total between the kit tyres and the new arrows? If so then you have exactly the same tyres and offset as I do - they should fit ok Can you maybe take some photos without the wheels?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Here is a picture of the driveshaft relative to the outdrives. I hope this works, never did an attachment before..
Old 03-16-2006, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Without having adjusted the camber or toe, the distance between the rear hub at the pivot balls and the lower suspension arm is ~ 5.5mm rear and 6mm front.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Here is a picture of the driveshaft relative to the outdrives. I hope this works, never did an attachment before..
Looks ok - looking at your camber link, it seems you are running very little rear camber - you'll probably need more than you have there - the kit setup has far too little camber for the tracks I race on. I have generally 2.5-3.5 degrees of camber at the rear.

You can only really judge what is correct at the track, but always aim for small amount of coning on the rear tyres after a run.

Try setting your camber to 2.5 and see if that helps with you driveshafts.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

If you guys wants to use 0 offset tires in the rear, you should replace your rear universals with PN# VSW007. The WC kit came with VSW015 which is shorter and designed to work with 2mm offset wheels that came with the kit.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the tip, Jeffrey.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by markp27
Thanks for the tip, Jeffrey.
You are welcome. BTW I was referring to the WCE. The regular kit comes with dog bones and wheel axles that fits 0 offset wheels just fine.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeffreylin
If you guys wants to use 0 offset tires in the rear, you should replace your rear universals with PN# VSW007. The WC kit came with VSW015 which is shorter and designed to work with 2mm offset wheels that came with the kit.
Jeffrey! You da man!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'll cross my fingers that they have it at the store when I stop by there at lunch today.

You know... I don't know what I would do without you guys. Your generosity in helping others is very much appreciated.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks for all the tips and hints guys, I finally got the engine started.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Today was my lucky day.

They had both the VSW007 (in stock) and VSW006 (which literally just came in). I saw the post below and decided go with the VSW006 to get the 52mm shaft. Given the fact that I think the kit shaft (VSW015) is too short to begin with, I wanted to give myself the flexibility to seat the driveshaft to my satisfaction in the outdrives. The last thing I wanted, was to see the new driveshaft in the same position as it is now.

What this also means, is that I'm unscrewing the pivot balls to make up the 2mm difference. In addition, the wheels don't have the 2mm offset - which I don't understand the implications of anyway. It's just 2mm. How much of a difference could it make anyway? Forget that I said that. If someone knows the impact of changing the wheel offset from 2mm to 0mm on a zero offset wheel shaft - while keeping the same trackwidth, please enlighten us. Same thing goes for running zero offset wheels in general. Note that VSW006 and VSW015 have the same zero offset wheel shaft.

Originally Posted by NiMo
Both have the same overal length.
VSW006 has 52mm shaft (VSW006-01) connected to a 0mm offset wheel shaft (VZW054-02).
VSW007 has 50mm shaft (VSW007-01) connected to a 2mm offset wheel shaft (VZW055-02).
also:
VSW015 has 50mm shaft (VSW007-01) connected to a 0mm offset wheel shaft (VZW054-02)
VZW054 has a 45mm shaft (VZW054-01 connected to a 0mm offset wheel shaft (VZW054-02)
VZW055 has a 40.5mm shaft (VZW055-01) connected to a 2mm offset wheel shaft (VZW055-02)
VZW058 has a 40.5mm shaft (VZW055-01) connected to a 0mm offset wheel shaft (VZW054-02)

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 03-16-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.