R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-20-2004, 03:07 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default NTC3+ Upgrades for Race

Ok just purchased a NTC3+, wanted some knowledge from those that have more experience actually racing this chassis.

What upgrades are recommended for racing?

Already, got my eye on the BMI Chassis, and a set of ACER Ceramic Nitride bearings.

But what other upgrades should I get to make it competetive, as in besides the driving ability?

Included with this question is also the Engine question, reliable ROAR legal motor that is competetive?

Appreciate all the help and cant wait to get back into racing, if you are in the S.California area maybe Ill see you in the next few months at the track.

Yes I know my sig says TC3 Nitro/Elec, but I never raced them, only raced LAzerLyte Pan cars, original RC10 with McCallister Loweringkit and host of other crap, RC10 Worlds 93, RC10T Vers. 1, Kyosho Lazer, Yokomo Dogfighters, and the Infernos
Asmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:22 AM   #2
Tech Regular

As far as upgrades go,I would get the version 2 rear suspension,Front one way(if youre running on a big track),also look at items to lighten the car.Things like the lightened clutchbell and 2 speed hub.Maybe a new chassis.The good thing about the NTC3 is that there are a ton of upgrades and options,some you need some you dont.See what others at your track are using to make them fast.

As far as motors go that could be a tough one.Once again how big is your track?How much do you want to spend?Some good choices are the Mugen X-12,Novarossi NS12S3,Sirio Evo 2,MR-12 and possibly an MT -12.Once again see what other people are using and go from there.The one thing everyone wants is a superfast motor,but you dont want to get more power than youre track can handle.I hope this helps.Im sure other will also have some good advice for you.
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

get a high speed servo (a must) ; buy (the fix) or make one your self, not that hard to make, look on the ntc3 forum on page 197, 196, somewhere around there, talks about making your own (fix), tools for the camber and toe (another must) ride hight, and plenty of spare parts, things just do break. had one of those my self this past weekend and let me tell you if i didn't have to parts then i would have had to pack up early. hope this helps i know that i am still missing sme thing but if i remember i'll put them on here. good luck and remember practice practice practice
rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:28 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Ok thanks for the replies, most of the stuff said I knew from past racing, but it always helps to have some refreshment. Have a chassis setup system already, plenty of High Speed Digital servos, and will have parts, already ordered the lightened flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft and most other parts to lighten the drive train and rotating mass.

I understand the egine question and as of right now, I have not decided which track to race as most are designed for 1/8 scale cars they are pretty large but have nice technical sections.

Anyways was looking for a little bit more part specifics, ie.. blade sway bars.. alum knuckles... whateva parts that should be there from the beginning that make the car alot better
Asmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I run blade swaybars front and rear on my NTC3.Its really hard to help you with any kind of setup not knowing where youre racing.Like I said before go to the track and just talk to people to find out what they run.You say youre in So. Cal.,are you going to be running at Revelation?The one great thing about this hobby is everyone is willing to help,just dont be afraid to ask questions.

As far as aluminum.I try not to use it at all.Its expensive and it does bend.Alot of times the aluminum is heavier than the plastic.Buy the carbon upgrade kit instead.Stronger than plastic and lighter than aluminum.

The one thing Ive definately learned that is VERY important is using quality tools and the right setup gauges.Money spent in these areas is money well spent.No hop-up can make up for a poorly set up car.
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote