R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Pipe Cleaning (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/506375-pipe-cleaning.html)

ChadB. 04-23-2011 10:34 PM

Pipe Cleaning

I am new to 1/8 scale and I was wondering if somebody could give me some input on the best way to clean all the junk that gets built up on a pipe? I have searched back 6 pages and I couldn't find anything on this. Any help on this would be great.

thunderbt3 04-23-2011 10:49 PM

Antifreeze in a old crock pot you don't plan on using anymore. Let it simmer outdoors for awhile and all the junk on the pipe will come off.

brc358 04-24-2011 03:44 AM

pipe

Originally Posted by ChadB. (Post 9009279)
I am new to 1/8 scale and I was wondering if somebody could give me some input on the best way to clean all the junk that gets built up on a pipe? I have searched back 6 pages and I couldn't find anything on this. Any help on this would be great.

carbon off spray or brush it on wipe it off ten min. later. you can get this from Kamikaze Toys and hobbies Cerritos Ca.

Roelof 04-24-2011 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by thunderbt3 (Post 9009315)
Antifreeze in a old crock pot you don't plan on using anymore. Let it simmer outdoors for awhile and all the junk on the pipe will come off.

At what temperature?

bluer322 04-24-2011 04:45 AM

Oven clenar form wal-mart, EZ-OFF with wire brush to take off the thick stuff off.

ltrdude 04-24-2011 05:04 AM

pipe cleaning

Carbon Off spray works the best,you can get it at GFS food store

sammies 04-24-2011 05:28 AM

I have found that the easiest way to get gunk off the pipe is to in the first place, not allow it to bake.

After each run, I get a rag... pour a little fuel on it... and wipe the pipe down... everything comes off easily when the pipe is still hot... a little troublesome... but i go home with a fairly clean and shiny pipe after every outing.

do be careful though, as the pipe is HOT... yes... u will hear sizzling when u wipe the pipe down... but everything comes off so much easier

Factory Seal 04-24-2011 06:54 AM

I use simple green on my 1/10th pipes....If it gets really nasty i use mineral spirits.., go to your local hardware store and buy a gallon of mineral spirits.....nothing breaks down grease/oil like it...and a gallon will last 2 years......

Darint 04-24-2011 07:04 AM

After 7 years of nitro racing, I haven't been able to find anything better than "Carbon-Off".

Spray it on, wait 10 minutes, and use water and a brush to clean everything off the pipe, everything falls off.. It also keeps the pipe as shiny as the day you bought it.

Also, use gloves, carbon-off is a commercial kitchen cleaner for ovens, pans and everything else that gets "cooked on"..

I order mine via Amazon, but you can usually find it locally through a resteraunt supply store too.

Seisick 04-24-2011 10:24 AM

Dawns power dissolver $2.8 at walmart works great!

Originally Posted by ChadB. (Post 9009279)

ChadB. 04-24-2011 12:34 PM

Thanks everyone for your help, I definitely have a lot of options to try out.

wmay11 04-25-2011 11:24 AM

The best stuff I have used is a locally mixed chemical. Brilliant, does not matter how baked or dirty your pipe is it will eat through it. Basically it attacks any organic substance. 30 Min in the stuff and you good to go. Wash it off with some soapy water and a toothbrush. It consists of two layers, the lower density liquid eats away the dirt whilst the top jelly like layer prevents the bottom liquied from evaporating.

The top liquid is neon yellow in colour, interseting stuff but damn it works well. Drop in two pipes at a time, probably cleaned about 20 pipes and the chemical is still working well, and some of my pipes were badly caked.

brc358 04-25-2011 11:47 AM

pipe

as I stated I use carbon off but if you want to go one step more,just for kicks ,I had one of my pipes an headers powder coated in high gloss platinum silver. I was worried about the heat, but so far after two years the header and pipe look great with no problems. just wipe it down after a race, no polishing needed.

asw7576 04-25-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by brc358 (Post 9016326)
as I stated I use carbon off but if you want to go one step more,just for kicks ,I had one of my pipes an headers powder coated in high gloss platinum silver. I was worried about the heat, but so far after two years the header and pipe look great with no problems. just wipe it down after a race, no polishing needed.

Reallly ?

How do you powder coating the header and pipe ?

Do you have any ideas what person or what business that does powder coating ?

brc358 04-25-2011 12:44 PM

pipe

Originally Posted by asw7576 (Post 9016420)
Reallly ?

How do you powder coating the header and pipe ?

Do you have any ideas what person or what business that does powder coating ?

I found him here on rc tech,He powder coated a chassis some misc. parts and then suggested we try a pip and header.He said he works for a small company and does this on the side,but may branch out on his own.
Dont recall his name as it has been a couple years now but the results are great
. I would think any powder coat compant could do this for you though.Eastwood company sells a small kit for abou $125.00