R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default up-stop / down-stop question

OK, first forgive me if I use any of the wrong terminology, but here goes ...

On my DM-1 Spec I have set-screws for up-stop and down-stop, and I am trying to figure this stuff out. On the simplest level, you could use the down-stop screws to set the ride height and the up-stop screws to keep the chassis from bottoming. But, I would think you would want some amount of droop in the suspension so that you have some down-travel from the start. So, to do that you use the shocks and springs to set the ride-height. This leaves me wondering what the down-stop screws are good for. Is there any down-side to having your suspension raising excessively when there is little to no weight on it? I guess maybe for cornering to keep the inside wheels from raising and keep the body flatter? Also, does one use the up-stop screws to keep the chassis from bottoming out? Am I missing anything here?

Thanks for the help.
qjmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Do NOT EVER use the droop screws for setting ride height, that's what spring preload is for. The droop limiter (my preferred term as it eliminates confusion) is ONLY for limiting how much droop you have. You will ALWAYS want at least a small amount of droop. How much does effect handling. As for how, I would refer you to an Xray set-up book, such as the one for the NT1 for a good explanation.

The bump limiters can be used to prevent bottoming but many racers (including myself) prefer to not use them at all.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Here's a link to the Hudy setup book, it will tell you most everything you need to set up your car.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...8054fe172c2c5c
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks guys. Amazing how much thought goes into these toy cars, eh?

The last question I seem to have is what is the downside to using the up-stops? I have never really used them in any car, and it seems that the general wisdom is to not use them, just can't make out why.
qjmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjmcrae View Post
Thanks guys. Amazing how much thought goes into these toy cars, eh?

The last question I seem to have is what is the downside to using the up-stops? I have never really used them in any car, and it seems that the general wisdom is to not use them, just can't make out why.
The droop or amount of up travel is used to balance the shift of weight transfer front and rear under acceleration and deceleration. It's also used in conjunction with your preload of spring to keep your wheels on the road when turning and rolling and when on a bumpy track.

Keeping your left to right uptravel symmetrical is important, and the amount of uptravel is directly relative to the amount of spring travel as its not the shock rebound.

Consider if you use your springs to reset ride height you are changing these parameters as well, in nitro on road racing, tyres wear down and geometry changes on the fly.

h
blis is offline   Reply With Quote