R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-19-2004, 08:31 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
Remember when the 10th came out many years ago(pure ten?),the engine is about 0.6HP only. And sorry I have say that the 10th was designed for young kid and students at that time.

When Impulse came out,it started another period of 1/10. When that time the engine had about 1.0hp output.

After people start to use foam tyres on 1/10,engine output rise up to about 1.35hp.

But now the egnine output is about 1.5~1.6hp. Do you think the 200mm width chassis can bear more power in the future?
I dont think 200mm can properly bear the current power. The are just too narrow and always on the ragged edge. any more power and I dont think they will be controllable. If more power is added i also believe it could be a good thing for 235mm. They will become cheaper to run than 200mm.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:01 AM   #32
am
Tech Master

Hi.

i am an 1:8th buggy racer wich bought a Fantom 2001. I preped my 421 buggy engine and hit the track. My car was slow alright but i was only one second of the fastest lap of the race.

It is not difficult to drive i acctually had 6 spot in the final of 20 starters. I borrowed a JP mod in the final and car was actually easyer to drive than with the buggy engine.

I have also had a serpent 705. CRAP!!! Eysier to drive 1:8 track.
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:48 AM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
But now the egnine output is about 1.5~1.6hp. Do you think the 200mm width chassis can bear more power in the future?
Only S710 would the low internal ratio helps a lot.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
I dont think 200mm can properly bear the current power. The are just too narrow and always on the ragged edge. any more power and I dont think they will be controllable. If more power is added i also believe it could be a good thing for 235mm. They will become cheaper to run than 200mm.
Right now, its cheaper to run a 235MM, at least in my local area. Everyone is trying to give the cars away practically! Now one wants to buy them.
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:13 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All these posts, but not a true post regarding which car stands out better than the other. On the track, both cars are fast. Heck if you are fast, you can drive a MRX2 and still beat the latest MRX4 or 950R or Evolva.

Let me just put a clearer picture into this. As I'll always tell people the reasons whether to buy a Serpent or Mugen.

1. Mugen parts are cheaper, for almost the same price for a single Serpent arm, you get 2 Mugen arms. Serpent centax is $100+, Mugen "centax" is $70+.

2. No reaming involved with Mugen parts at all, fitment is great right out of the box.

3. Parts supplies from Serpent was horrid. I came from Serpent exclusive 2 years ago too. We all know Serpent closes its shop in Florida for good 2 weeks smack middle of summer, so no parts in the middle of racing season.

4. Serpent has cooler concept, all the laydown stuff, but it really wouldn't matter much on the track anyway.

5. 950R has more exciting features

If you want cheaper parts and easier to build car (imagine not have to ream out a hole to replace a front top arm during a long main!). Then Mugen is your ticket.

Dom
Old 09-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by litespeed-dom

4. Serpent has cooler concept, all the laydown stuff, but it really wouldn't matter much on the track anyway.

Dom
Last time I looked at my MRX it had laydown stuff too. It does matter. The lower everything is the faster you can go through the corner. Even having everything just 1mm lower actually can make a huge difference although not visibly noticeable it will tell in the timesheets.

i dont think the 950R is anymore exciting for features than the Mugen. Both have their pros and cons regarding design.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:51 PM   #37
Tech Elite

yes, most definitely...... but more than 1/2 the time if anyone would touch the board just one less time in 5 mins or blow one less corner would be faster already whether they have laydown servos or not. Face it, none of us are Collari, Fantini, Burch or Cyrul here.

Don't get offended when I say cons about a Mugen, I drive one myself.

Cars out of the box isn't fast, it's drivers that make it fast. One of the most important thing of all....clutch adjustment makes a whole lot of difference as it is. I say laydown stuff on a car is down on the list behind clutch adjustment that realy makes a car fast.

Dom
Old 09-23-2004, 04:04 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
yes, most definitely...... but more than 1/2 the time if anyone would touch the board just one less time in 5 mins or blow one less corner would be faster already whether they have laydown servos or not. Face it, none of us are Collari, Fantini, Burch or Cyrul here.

Don't get offended when I say cons about a Mugen, I drive one myself.

Cars out of the box isn't fast, it's drivers that make it fast. One of the most important thing of all....clutch adjustment makes a whole lot of difference as it is. I say laydown stuff on a car is down on the list behind clutch adjustment that realy makes a car fast.

Dom
Not offended. I drive a Serpent 200mm

I agree with what you are saying. Clutch and general car set up are more important. But when racing at top level every mm counts on the CG height.

Wouldnt agree about your other comment though
Old 09-23-2004, 04:06 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Very true on the top level racers!

Just only wish I can be 1/2 as good as Cyrul or Burch!!!

Dom
Old 09-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
1. Mugen parts are cheaper, for almost the same price for a single Serpent arm, you get 2 Mugen arms. Serpent centax is $100+, Mugen "centax" is $70+.

2. No reaming involved with Mugen parts at all, fitment is great right out of the box.

3. Parts supplies from Serpent was horrid. I came from Serpent exclusive 2 years ago too. We all know Serpent closes its shop in Florida for good 2 weeks smack middle of summer, so no parts in the middle of racing season.

If you want cheaper parts and easier to build car (imagine not have to ream out a hole to replace a front top arm during a long main!). Then Mugen is your ticket.

Dom
As for the parts prices, the crash packs from Serpent do relieve price issues when replacements are need. Also some Mugen parts and serpent parts will interchange, such as screws. Plus some aftermarket option parts are cheaper than comparible serpent parts. I do like Mugen for their fit and finish on parts. It will be a matter of which car you prefer, and the availability of parts from your LHS that should matter. Who wants a car that you have to constantly order parts for when you need it!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:50 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MRX4

If you rely on your LHS for parts you will miss race days. All the racer I know carry their own parts no matter how reliable or "bulletproof" their car is.Most 1/8 tracks are not near a LHS nor are there that many hobby shops that stock 1/8 parts in any selection due to the rapid obsolesence.You should plan on investing in your own spares and wear items,only experience with any car can tell you what parts you might need.In most parts of the country 1/8 is an internet hobby anyway,at least in parts support
trashcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 08:26 AM   #42
Suspended

Default Re: MRX4

Quote:
Originally posted by trashcar
If you rely on your LHS for parts you will miss race days. All the racer I know carry their own parts no matter how reliable or "bulletproof" their car is.Most 1/8 tracks are not near a LHS nor are there that many hobby shops that stock 1/8 parts in any selection due to the rapid obsolesence.You should plan on investing in your own spares and wear items,only experience with any car can tell you what parts you might need.In most parts of the country 1/8 is an internet hobby anyway,at least in parts support
you are right,here in texas,not many on road tracks...mainly off road buggy here in the boondocks.....choco
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 01:42 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Default Re: MRX4

Quote:
Originally posted by trashcar
Well, it depends on what boat your in. If you can't find spare parts, then you probably will be online ordering parts from somewhere else. Here in SoFLA, most LHS here race, so they almost always have the parts for the cars, with the exception of a few. Also they stock the parts that are needed or need to be upgrade to avoid the usual breakage and wear & tear. 1/8 aren't too popular here much lately, so I would have to say that that will be an issue probably everywhere. But if you do find a LHS with a good supply of spares for a car, then take that into consideration. As far a Serpent, you can order parts from them directly online, but I don't think you with Mugen.