R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-20-2001, 01:26 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default HPI Nitro's (RS4, Racer, Super)

Startin a thread for all the HPI Nitro drivers!
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 01:49 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to AE_Racer

Ive had 2 orig NRS4, they are good cars, but seem to need alot of hopups or a perfect setup to be competitive with Impulses, MTX2s, etc
AE_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 02:27 PM   #3
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

AE - I've always had "Mixed feelings" about my Racer2. I think its mostly driver. Sure mugen is a better car, but a great driver in a Nitro RS4 will still be good.

My Racer2 is almost stock, other than a steering mod, side belt tensioner, and Diff Springs, and some other small changes.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 02:34 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

I agree that a somewhat hop-ed up HPI nitro car can easily keep up with a more expensive car like Mugen and Serpents. I also say that you really need to have it setup properly or that won't work either. My Super (when not being destroyed by a careless driver) can easily keep up with an Impact or even beat it occassionally.

A lot of the speed, however, is dependant on a good driver. Example, there was an impact at this weekends race that finished very far behind all other nitro drivers, simply because the driver was very new.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:49 PM   #5
RCTech Member #2

I don't think he was all that *new*... I've seen him at Madison all the time, and someone mentioned something about him having another car before the impact... maybe im wrong. He is a good driver, but he had his car setup wrong. Too stiff suspension, and too soft of tires.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
Old 08-20-2001, 03:07 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Bah, his car looked like it was setup perfect. He just didn't know how to drive it. He was oversteering it and overgassing it in the corners and spinning a lot.

He also had WAY too much brake setup in the car. At the end of the straight, he'd lock up his tires and spin.
Old 08-20-2001, 03:10 PM   #7
RCTech Member #2

no man, the car was way to stiff, and it wouldnt "dig" into the corner the way it was supose to. Then the tires where to soft... It would chatter through the corner. I was standing right next to the track in several spots marshalling while he ran. Skip was the one that noticed the tire chatter.
RCTech Member #2

Old 08-20-2001, 03:15 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Then he had his diff too tight in the rear. Whatever the cause, it proves just because you have an Impact or some fancy expensive car, doesn't mean you're fast.
Old 08-20-2001, 03:31 PM   #9
RCTech Member #2

I thought it had a solid axle... no diff..... Hmmm...
RCTech Member #2

Old 08-20-2001, 03:32 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

What?! I don't think any car except Pan cars have solid rear axles, and I don't even think they do. With a solid rear axle, you wouldn't be able to make it around a corner without a TON of chatter.
Old 08-20-2001, 03:35 PM   #11
Tech Master

You can get solid axles for the Impact type cars
Old 08-20-2001, 03:40 PM   #12
RCTech Member #2

I think it comes with both a solid axel, and a diff kit. I'm not sure, but im almost positive. I'm trying to look it up right now.

AE - i knew they made them, but i think it comes with the impact.
RCTech Member #2

Old 08-20-2001, 03:43 PM   #13
Tech Master

Oh, well, I knew they made/came with them, I have heard of the Impacts with them before
Old 08-21-2001, 06:55 AM   #14
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

fireball....you anger me almost enought to bring my stock hpi racer down a kick some but.....the impact has a solid axel in the back and a one way in the front, but as you said at the race i figured that you have been racing nitro long enought to know....al was second with the impact for a while, he just races to have fun, and for your info, when you run foam tires you run a front oneway, and the rear locked up, so the tires ware even....most of hs problem is the tires are tooo soft.....btw....you do not stop in the straightway and not talk to the other drivers, you must pay attention to what they are doing, and keep you car out of the way till the race director is ready to start the race....you must protect your car, from harm, till the race starts....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 07:07 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about in regards to what happened to me in the race.

Nick, the race starter had been calling for well over 1 minute to fuel up and line up. I had already fueled and everyone else was ducking into the pits. Seeing as how all the cars (except 1) were going into the pits I lined up where I should have been. The dumb- who hit me decides to be a smart - and fly down the straight at top speed for some unknown reason when he should have been lining up and clips my rear end. That is NOT my fault and Nick and Marc both agree. Get your head out of your rear and think about it.

About the solid axle.. why in the blue hell would you want a solid rear axle? I run foams on my super and I want the diff as loose as I can get it. The tigher (closer to a solid axle) the looser it is traction wise.