Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
NTC3 Fuel Tank? >

NTC3 Fuel Tank?

NTC3 Fuel Tank?

Old 09-09-2004, 07:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default NTC3 Fuel Tank?

I have the K-Factory Low Profile Fuel tank in my Nitro TC3. This past weekend some rookie forgot to slow down at the end of the straight away and slammed into my car, cracking the tank.

I was going to order a new one but wanted to know if the K-Factory tank is worth the extra money? Its double the price of the stock tank!

Should I just buy the stock tank?

Is their any noticable difference in performance between the two?

Your responses will be greatly appreciated.

-Kevin-
Old 09-09-2004, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Which ever tank you decide to use should work fine. There are guys at our track that use both styles and does not have issues with either tank. More of a preference at that point on low cg. I use a Mugen tank with a bit of a retrofit for a mount. Just remember to get the guard that goes in between the tank and the pipe and you will never have another busted tank. I think that k-factory makes the guard. You should be able to order it through your LHS or online. good luck.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by sook
Which ever tank you decide to use should work fine. There are guys at our track that use both styles and does not have issues with either tank. More of a preference at that point on low cg. I use a Mugen tank with a bit of a retrofit for a mount. Just remember to get the guard that goes in between the tank and the pipe and you will never have another busted tank. I think that k-factory makes the guard. You should be able to order it through your LHS or online. good luck.
Thanks for your quick response!

I didn't even know they made a fuel tank guard for the NTC3. I just did a google search and came up empty. I went to the K-Factory website and they don't have it listed either.

Are you sure K-Factory makes it?

If you know of a website that sells it, please let me know. Thanks!

I was actually surprised that my tank broke. I thought the graphite top brace would have broke as well but it is in perfect shape. I don't know how the tank cracked but the brace didn't.

Here is a pic of my car and you'll see what I mean. (Pic=before crash). (Tuned pipe is dented even more now!)

Old 09-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

I don't know how that occured either. You have the guard that I was referring to on your car. That should give you more protection than nothing. I do not even use a guard on my NTC3. I have not cracked a tank since the original tank design.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Hmmmmm....This is very weird!!!!

When I removed the tank I noticed the cracks orginated from the center mounting hole. Maybe my chassis got tweaked and stressed the tank enough to crack it. THAT WOULD REALLY SUCK!! I'll have to check that out tonight.

Do you know of anyone who used JB Weld to repair a tank? I JB Welded mine but didn't test it out for any leaks yet.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Nope, but let us know if it worked.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just broke my 5th NTC3 tank even I have that carbon side brace..........but still, I will keep using the NTC3........I cracked that many tank is all due to the same problem...........MORON's car got run away and I was right in front of them...........SAD.

P.S. I have friends that are still using their original tank.....I think I just got all the luck to break tanks when everyone is breaking other things beside the tank.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
I just broke my 5th NTC3 tank even I have that carbon side brace..........but still, I will keep using the NTC3........I cracked that many tank is all due to the same problem...........MORON's car got run away and I was right in front of them...........SAD.

P.S. I have friends that are still using their original tank.....I think I just got all the luck to break tanks when everyone is breaking other things beside the tank.
Did your tank crack by the mounting holes?

That's where mine cracked so I don't think it was a direct hit on the tank from the other car. My tuned pipe took a nice hit but the brace is still in perfect condition. Is it possible that the chassis got tweaked in the crash and the resulting pressure cracked the tank?
Old 09-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

make sure the screws you are using are not to BIG. also make sure that you use an oring on each screw and when tightening them, only snug the screw LIGHTLY. my tank when grabbed moves freely about 1/4 inch or so...when o-rings start to compress just a little bit that is tight enough. i would stick with the kfactory tank as well.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Do you notice fewer bubbles/foam in the fuel inside the kfactory tank compared to the stock tank? Becuase I have the stock one and since the car vibrates like crazy with the engine on, foam forms inside the tank which is pretty much unavoidable. I just ordered me the kfactory unit and hopefully with its more shorter design, I would think it would help in eliminating bubbles from forming.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

I also noticed that you have a fuel filter on the pressure side of the fuel tank. What are the benefits of this compared to putting one on the inlet to the engine?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

As those other guys said, make sure you don't overtighten the tank mounting screws.

Also, is it me, or does he need to rotate his cylinder head 90 degrees?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

He may prefer to run a little hotter.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Since you are using K Factory left side carbon brace, I recommend that you can still use K Factory fuel tank.

The 3pcs screws under the tank causes the break. The tank shoudn't be fastened this way. You can use just front 2pcs screws to hold the tank. Everything will be fine.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by rossiRocket
I also noticed that you have a fuel filter on the pressure side of the fuel tank. What are the benefits of this compared to putting one on the inlet to the engine?
Good observation!!!

Actually, the picture I posted is the FIRST photo of the car after I bought it from someone at the track. He dumped a ton of money into it and never ran the thing. Obviously, he didn't know much about the way nitro engines work. I paid only $250 for the car, OFNA Starter box w/power panel, two new OS .12TR engines, 8 Pairs of tires, 3 Liters of fuel and a brand new unpainted Dodge Stratus body. Not a bad deal if you ask me!

The fuel lines were put in their proper places before I ran it.

Last edited by kb4343; 09-10-2004 at 06:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.