R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Need help choosing a nitro (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/497-need-help-choosing-nitro.html)

PeNT 09-12-2001 05:33 PM

Need help choosing a nitro

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting my 2nd nitro..
I don't rally have time to race.. but want something really quick..
I may race.. in the future..

I have been looking at the Kyosho V-one S.. and the HPI Nitro RS2

how do these compare in terms of performance , quality and speed ?

Which one is the better product..?

Should I bother with the Racer version of either.. I know they are at the limits of my budget but I have a spare OS12CVX engine that is just been broken in.

I have also noticed the Ofna OB4 . How do these compare.

Any other cars

By the way I am from Sydney, Australia and my condolences go out to everyone in US in relation to the recent tragedy that has taken place.

thanks for reading.

AE_Racer 09-12-2001 05:53 PM

well, if you get either, one definately get the Racer or "R" version.. from what i've heard the V One R GRP version is a great buy over seas..it comes with foam tires, front oneway, and I believe swaybars...

daniz24 09-12-2001 06:29 PM

Not interested with Yokomo GT-4W??

PeNT 09-13-2001 03:33 AM

I think I may have problems getting parts for the Yokomo GT-4W
since I have never heard of it.. I'll take a look at my LHS.

redsand 09-14-2001 08:27 AM

yeah that sorts of bug me too.
there are so many gt4 versions...one of those is the onroad version, the other is sedan. not to mention the US version too.

adelmundo 09-14-2001 10:52 AM

The Kyosho V-One R is a great car to get, however it doesn't accept your OS CVX since there's no room for a pullstart. You need to get a non-pullstart engine for it. It's a way better car than the HP RS4 Nitro or even the RS4 Nitro Racer 2. More adjustable, stronger, and a better car overall even in box stock form.

PeNT 09-15-2001 03:37 AM

Thanks for the info..

I guess I will rule out the V-one R.

How would you say the V-one-S comapares to the RS4 2 or even the RS4 Racer 2. The V-one R is significantly higher priced here in Aus.. plus I don't wanna invest in another engine.

Would you say the V-one-S is stronger that the HPI's ?

How does the hopups and spares prices and availability compare for the HPI and Kyosho

I also noticed the New SuperTens I think its the FW-04 with .15 engine.

How good are these.. they seem to be on special..
How quick are these stock when comapred to the V-one-S, RS4 Racer 2.

Are parts more expensive since they are a slighly larger car.

thanks

Toothless9 09-15-2001 10:23 AM

Get the V One-S. If shares many of the same parts as the V One-R. It also comes with an engine, GS-15 I think. Yes there are many more hop-up parts available for the HPI but you'll spend a small fortune trying to make it competitive. In the end you'll end up with late 90's technology (ie, a HINGE pin style suspension.) The Vone-S is pillow ball so it is extremely adjustable. I have a V One-R and this car is a rock. I've destroyed my tuned pipe and throttle servo case from vicious hits yet no parts have ever broke on the car itself. Kyosho parts are extremely tough and well made (although difficult to get parts at times.) I stockedup on parts that would have frequently broke on a HPI and I'm afraid I may never need these parts. I owned and raced HPI a long time ago.

PeNT 09-16-2001 06:01 AM

Thanks for the info..

It was extremely helpful.. I think Kyosho support is better at my LHS so thats a bonus as well..

How would you say the V-one-S compares to the Superten FW-4.

Should I spend the extra to get that or stick with the V-one-S.

The parking lot next to my place is a little rough.. Will the V-one-S be able to handle the bumps.. This may seem like a stupid question , but i doubt i'll have time to go to the race track..

thanks

Toothless9 09-16-2001 10:17 PM

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the FW-04 a super ten. If it is, the car is really between a 1/10th scale and a 1/8th scale. This car is better compared to a HPI Super nitro. Parts maybe even more difficult to get since this car doesn't have an official sanctioned racing class. I've driven a HPI super nitro and they are fun and more stable then a 1/10 sedan. If this is the size car you want then I think the FW-04 is one of the best. Tamiya also makes a car in this size, the TGX. Just know that their may not be as many option parts. (ie tires,bodies ,etc), plus their parts may be more expensive.

PeNT 09-16-2001 10:46 PM

Yeah.. it is a superten. I have been told they are more stable than the pureten class,etc.

But i wanna stay away from it if parts,etc are more expensive or not readly available.

Plus if I decide to race it may be better to go with a pureten class.