Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NTC3: Alluminum parts vs. carbon

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default NTC3: Alluminum parts vs. carbon

On average, how much weight does alluminum parts add vs carbon parts? I'm having a hell of a time keeping my car in one piece... notably, on the front end... everytime i run it, i break something, not even from crashing it, i'm getting better at driving.. sway bar on the front seems to help too.. just running over pebbles and stuff..

what id like to do, is get an alluminum shock tower, and alluminum front transmission case...

also.. what kind of tires are best for driving around in parking lots with? 3 of my rims are broken, (but the tires hold them together) and i'd like to get new ones, and it doesnt look like im going to be able to reuse the tires.. so i gotta get new tires anyway..
Old 09-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

Personally Id stay away from too much aluminum.Especially things like arms.Definately dont not use the diff cases.These will cause you alot of problems with the bearings.While you might be braking arms now they are still relatively cheap to replace.Aluminum is expensive and they do bend.The TC3's are definately brittle but overall its a good car that is still very competitve.Look at the results from the Gas Sedan Nats.The NTC3 ran the fastest lap.As far as tires I cant help you with that,I run foams.I hope this helps!!
Old 09-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Tech Rookie

if i can keep from wrecking it, the tranny case should hold up.. gonna see how the new one does... after i find some more screws.. when the shock tower came off this time, i only recovered one of the screws :/

once i get better at driving it though... hopefully ill break parts less often

how bad do bent hinge pins affect the handling? mine are slightly bent :/
Old 09-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Bent hinge pins can be a major problem.It will bind up the movement of the arms.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Tech Rookie

guess i need to get more of those.. any recommendations on some that are stronger? or could they have just bent from a wreck? doesnt look like they'd be very easy to bend...
Old 09-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

For those of U that have problems with the shocktowers coming loose and/or threads are stipping in the boxes. There is an "commersial" version from BMI racing available (www.bmiracing.com) but its very easy to make one with 99% AE parts. The RC12L3/L4 chassi standoffs #4442B are 100% the right hight as they come. Just downsize one of its end to about 4.5mm and epoxy glue (JB Quick) an 4-40 socket steel screw together with an AE #4 aluminium washer. Look at the picture. Then take a 5mm drill and open up the hole in the shocktower that originally is just there for reaching the std 4-40 screw. Use 1.25" countersunk steel screws and run them all the way from the bottom through the chassi and lower and upper gearboxes. Use the "AEfix" assembly and tighten it down from the top, use some blue locktite.

go to page 196 or 197 on the ntc3 thread and it will show you the pictures.

got this off this site, this will help you alot helped me, hope this helps in what you are looking for. as far as hinge pins take them out, roll them on the table and you will know if you need new ones or not, but always a good thing to have in your box of parts.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Tech Rookie

sweet... taking forever to get to page 197 thought... you'd think they'd split this up into another forum...
Old 09-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are harder pins that don't bend as easy. And they make the arm movement smoother. If you use aluminum arms then all the brunt of the impact is put into the suspension mounts, which tears aparts the rest of your car and your chassis. My arms or any parts for that matter have never broken with out hitting anything. If you have any questions with rebuilding your car you can PM me or e-mail me at any time. We can go over some little things to get the most out of your car and to make it even more reliable.

I do use the "FIX" on my car and I highly recomend it. I baught it when I first baught my car on ebay last year. The worst thing to happen to my gear box since putting it on is I bent one of the screws.

I have found using longer screws in certain places help as much as anything when you are building your car. From putting the cases on the chassis to mounting the shock towers to the cases. If you do try to use longer screws be careful because you can't use them everywhere as they will crash on certain parts of the car.

Like I said if you have any question I would be happy to go over the car with you.

Thanks
Steve Chamberlain