Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
servo noise...normal? >

servo noise...normal?

servo noise...normal?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default servo noise...normal?

hey guys, theres a few sites i visited in regards to servo noise and just thought i'd get the right information as its all mixed thoughts.

Now, i have 2 digital servos....and they make noise....on idle its very little noise, sometimes no noise at all (servos in neutral) upon opening the throttle or steering, it makes a buzzing noise.

I have checked my steering servo and made sure it was aligned correctly and when turning the wheel on the controller, i made sure the horn is not binding/or pressing against anything. But the noise occurs. Yes thats right, I have done epa as well on my controller

Same goes with throttle...

Another thing, some sites say, digital servos making noise is NORMAL, thats how they are. But also could be tension...If the servo's make noise then is that ok? and as long as its not pressing up against anything (tension)...

Now for another issue, my buggy, with the receiver, servo and radio it came with was all AM. I changed the receiver to digital (specifically to the mx3fhss receiver) and put the same controller settings as the AM radio on the mx3fhss and upon neutral, a slight buzzing noise occurs, for steering and throttle...so im assuming this is normal then....otherwise please explain why not?

thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Tech Initiate

I use ko digitals and they have made a buzzing noise since they were new. The old jr's I replaced didnt buzz, but they were not digis.
Jason
Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Digital servos make all kinds of buzzing noises. Nothing to worry about.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default servo noise

I had some servos that used to make noise. I have since started using li-po's and using a Novak Voltage regulator. No more noise. The regulator takes the 7.4V Li-po's and regulates it to a perfect 6V. If you are using Ni-cads or Ni-Mh, they are not a perfect 6v either. Most servos cannot take the extra voltage. The buzzing you hear is more than likely the Potentiometer.....the device that centers your servo, and is not rated for extra voltage, thus the buzz. Just my 2 cents......
Old 03-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Buzz

The ko servos seem to buzz more than others. This is common on digital servos. I like it when sitting on the track and people ask what that buzzing noise is.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

im using Digital futaba with HRS and my throttle servo buzzes only when its under strain from the brake. So any little strain under neutral will buzz
Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Buzzzzzzzz!

Originally Posted by beers4evo
hey guys, theres a few sites i visited in regards to servo noise and just thought i'd get the right information as its all mixed thoughts.

Now, i have 2 digital servos....and they make noise....on idle its very little noise, sometimes no noise at all (servos in neutral) upon opening the throttle or steering, it makes a buzzing noise.

I have checked my steering servo and made sure it was aligned correctly and when turning the wheel on the controller, i made sure the horn is not binding/or pressing against anything. But the noise occurs. Yes thats right, I have done epa as well on my controller

Same goes with throttle...

Another thing, some sites say, digital servos making noise is NORMAL, thats how they are. But also could be tension...If the servo's make noise then is that ok? and as long as its not pressing up against anything (tension)...

Now for another issue, my buggy, with the receiver, servo and radio it came with was all AM. I changed the receiver to digital (specifically to the mx3fhss receiver) and put the same controller settings as the AM radio on the mx3fhss and upon neutral, a slight buzzing noise occurs, for steering and throttle...so im assuming this is normal then....otherwise please explain why not?

thanks
Almost all digital servos make that high pitch buzzign sound you are experiencing. This is the result of motor and circuitry making fine adjustments trying to keep the gears, and thus the servor horn in a steady position until they get input from your radio.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but it is also why digital servos drain batteries faster than non-digital servers. if you'r not careful you can drain a battery pack just letign yiour car sit on the ground with power on.
Yes....I did that once before

You might want to consider just using normal servos in your throttle and only use digital for steering. Otherwise, invest in lipo receiver packs and a good votlage regulator.

I mean honestly, I only have digital servors because they have come down in price so much from when I first started RC'ing (2000) and the because of the torque they provide. So unless you are a serious racer (with considerable driving skills) or you do alot of off roading, then you don't have to use digital.

With all that said.....they do add to the bling factor of any rc vehicle, but they are becoming more and more common.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I have a JR z9000t and it makes that same "buzzing" noise your refering to
Old 01-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well that's great ... and a great dig up of a nearly two year old thread~
Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Your welcome
We will pull it up one last time for the 9000t that seems to be noisy but workin flawlessly!