Community
Wiki Posts
Search

question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Default question

i was just on redrc in events looking at some of the top drivers cars i see that most if not all are not using a on/off switch on their cars whats the advantage of this if any ? or is it just to have less wiring?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Tech Addict

most likely.
IMO its only going to be maybe 10 grams, but thats 10 grams they can save!
Plus its one thing less to worry about going wrong.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Lord

Over the years people have bad experiences with using switches. Todays connectors are mostly gold plated so they do withstand all kind of weather conditions. It is easy to use, to change, install etc. and most of all, they are reliable.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Tech Adept

a few years ago i was leading a big race with only 3 min to go when all of a sudden i lost all radio power it turned out my on off switch had been turned off while i was racing lessen lernt i then took them all out of my cars and just used deans plugs
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rufazz
a few years ago i was leading a big race with only 3 min to go when all of a sudden i lost all radio power it turned out my on off switch had been turned off while i was racing lessen lernt i then took them all out of my cars and just used deans plugs
This is a double edge sword that can go both ways. Over the years I have used switches and connectors. The thing to keep in mind about connectors is the embrittlement of the fine copper wire when you solder in the connector. A few connect/disconnect cycles over the racing season can suddenly result in failure very similar to the bad switch it replaced. I have always found it amazing that people will spare no expense on chassis, engines, radios, fuel, ect and then buy a $2.00 switch to turn it all on with. In regards to switches, you definitely get what you pay for. I currently use the Hitec HD switch which runs around $12.00. It gets replaced during the racing off season whether it needs it or not. I modify them by drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the housing to allow fuel to drain in case they get sloshed. The one big negative for switches IMO is with new, tight, compact car designs, it's getting hard to find places to properly mount them on the car.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by P2gee
This is a double edge sword that can go both ways. Over the years I have used switches and connectors. The thing to keep in mind about connectors is the embrittlement of the fine copper wire when you solder in the connector. A few connect/disconnect cycles over the racing season can suddenly result in failure very similar to the bad switch it replaced. I have always found it amazing that people will spare no expense on chassis, engines, radios, fuel, ect and then buy a $2.00 switch to turn it all on with. In regards to switches, you definitely get what you pay for. I currently use the Hitec HD switch which runs around $12.00. It gets replaced during the racing off season whether it needs it or not. I modify them by drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the housing to allow fuel to drain in case they get sloshed. The one big negative for switches IMO is with new, tight, compact car designs, it's getting hard to find places to properly mount them on the car.
Those are good points.

The KoPropo switch was the best as it was a little more difficult during a race for the switch to be turned off. It was discontinued for sometime but is now coming back to market and better than ever.

http://www.redrc.net/2011/02/toy-fair-2011-ko-propo/