R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Very New to anything R/C

I was given a R/C in a basket. The car is a team magic g4...it has a picco red dot .12 motor ...hitec steering and throttle servos ...it has a spring tuning kit .. a starter box ...the motor has less than a half gallon through it .

I am a clueless 56 yr old guy wanting to learn how this works.
I do not have batteries for the starter box, no radio, just what I posted. No directeions. If i can't figure it out and have fun, I will sell it.

i am just looking for help with sites to read and learn, and also purchase whatever else I am missing.

Last edited by Gramps; 03-01-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: adding more info
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Have you got a hobby shop near you? That is the first place you should start. There, you get the 1) the radio that you need, 2) the batteries for the starter box, 3) the fuel, plugs and igniter you need to get it stared.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default New to RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I was given a R/C in a basket. The car is a team magic g4...it has a picco red dot .12 motor ...hitec steering and throttle servos ...it has a spring tuning kit .. a starter box ...the motor has less than a half gallon through it .

I do not have batteries for the starter box, no radio, just what I posted. No directeions. If i can't figure it out and have fun, I will sell it.

i am just looking for help with sites to read and learn, and also purchase whatever else I am missing.
Well to one gramps to another< I have quite a few years on you> you do have most of what you need to start.
Get your battery for the starter box, glow plug igniter, fuel<probably 20% or 25%> and of course radio. Before you buy a radio check to see if the receiver is in the car, and what type it is. It could be a 2.4<which has no crystals> could be an older receiver with crystals, or a synthesized receiver. To cut the cost down, take the car to a hobby shop and they can identify the receiver for you and set you up with a radio. You wont need the top of the line radio to get started. Yo can always upgrade the radio.
Once you have the correct radio, receiver, battery pack in the car, battery in the starter box, will will also need a battery charger for the starter box and battery pack in the car. You should also pick up a few RC wrenches as they will be needed to work on the car. You can get a decent small set for around $20.00<Dynamite set> and from there, the sky is the limit on how much you want to spend on tools. There will be other items needed along the way, but these will get the car started. You should also pick up a couple spare glow plugs, and a glow plug wrench, and a small bottle of after run oil. If its been a while sense the engine has been fired, you should remove the glow plug, drop 4 or 5 drops of the after run oil in the glow plug hole, and turn the engine over a few times to lube the internals.Charge the batteries, fill the tank, sit the car on the starter box< making sure the radio is on and servos are working> and see if the engine will fire.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Also go to Teammagicrc.com and get your manual in pdf format.
You will need it for maintenance and basic tuneup of your car.
skritikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post

I own a few Team magics and there are few of us left...

There are a few pitfalls you may encounter so I would suggest you ensure that you have a complete working chassis and Clutch system before you begin investing in the car.

Key issues to address...

Team magic cars evolved over a period of several years, they also changed the Two speed spur gears and and while the G4 1st gear remained the same, the older 2nd speed gear changed and the original version can be hard to find.

What spare parts are available with the car, it may not be viable to continue with it if you are short too many parts.

As the previous post mentioned, get the PDF manual from Team Magic site and also look at the pricing and availability of parts at

rcmanufactory.com
rcmushroom.com

all G4 parts except for KFactory hop ups begin with a 502 part number.

hope this helps.

h
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

welcome to the R/C world
elcaliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I think the OP needs to determine which G4 he has because there were many changes and although they appear to be subtle it did have a major impact on compatibility between one version to another.

I have one sitting on the shelf in parts that I've been looking to put back together again but never found the time for. One of my biggest problems with the car was the placement of the receiver so close and exposed to the engine.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

that is so creepy I have a g4 and use the red dot combo too.
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote