R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-25-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New Super Nitro RS4 RTR or TC3 Plus RTR or Nitro 4-Tec RTR

I am wondering how fast these three cars go stock,if anyone knows please tell me.Because I am planning on buying one of these three.I am looking for the fastest one.
SkylineVspecr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
Tech Addict

If you're just looking for top speed, I would say the 4-Tec is the fastest. a friend of mine had one and it was crazy fast right out of the box. Just buy lots of spares if you're going to be driving with the hammer down all the time.
If you plan on racing it in the future though, I would go with the NTC3. It's fully upgradable and has more hardcore racing parts available for it.
The Super Nitro RS4 has the same engine as the regular N-RS4 only with tha added weight of the car. Not a good candidate for top speed out of the box but with a better engine it will be more stable at high speeds.
Just my 2cents.
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:53 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I just ordered the SNRS4 kit from Ultimate Hobbies, $209 with free ground shipping! My friend has one, and it's pretty cool, though an engine upgrade for any of the cars you listed is a requirement. The 4-Tec with the 2.5 is fast, but suffers from an inexpensive manufacturing process and design, and lack of a decent aftermarket parts selection.
NWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the super nitro doesn't have a class of its own, so racing it legally will be hard, id say the tc3 all the way. there kind of like nissans, everybody has 'em, but they are dang good.
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to mrlacrosseman

I would go with the NTC3 +. NOt only is it fast but the shaft drive makes it very easily maintained with no threat of broken belts.

I have an NTC3 that I am trying to get up in running and it is so easy to find parts that I need. Upgrades are also very easy to find.

Good luck with your choice
mrlacrosseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:55 PM   #6
Tech Elite

ya, belt drives really suck if you are going to be bashing b/c the unprepared surfaces that have small debris on them can chew up those belts in no time! so ya, go with the ntc3.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:59 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Every race circuit in my state has a Super Nitro class, they're fairly popular.
NWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:25 PM   #8
Tech Elite

ya, i guess every location is different.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:15 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

The best out of the three is the NTC3 RTR Plus. It's loaded with nice features such as a new 2speed, V2 suspension setup, and handy tools other RTRs don't have. It can hit about 50mph but in terms of performance it beats the other 2 vehicles. The SN is nice for fun and play. Still packing the same engine with heatsink. Nothing new there. I wouldn't get it due to the lack of body and wheel support. In order to make 8th scale or 10th onroad (235mm) wheels fit, you will need the wolf pack conversion kit. IMO don't waste your money unless you plan to race in a SN class or at HPI challenges. The money you will spend on this car can get you the AE RTR plus and spare parts. The N4tec is still the same car except it sports the 2.5. Really fast and touches 60mph easily and will probably get a few mph higher but this requires a lot of room. It could handle better though. My friend ran swaybars and GS Arrow foams and it did a lot better. Now he had speed, durability, and handling. Still the car is an older design and the suspension geometry isn't that great for most. Steve Slayden is one of the few who know how to use that car and won a major race with that car and an MT12. The NTC3 doesn't really need much upgrades to compete. Learn how to drive it box stock, then make improvements if needed to suit you driving style. I've seen racers win with a NTC3 kit, race engine, AE pipe (standard) and minimal upgrades. This goes to show these guys are great drivers, practice a lot, learn their way around the track, and prove you don't need to spend a ton of money to win. Some feel the NTC3 is overrated but its a popular car and can perform. For the price its affordable, well equipped, lightweight, fast, etc. Still there are better cars but for those starting out, the AE is great. I've been driving my belt driven ride for a while and never encountered any sort of debris ruining my belts. Even when driving on unprepared lots. Thats because newer nitro sedan models come with kevlar belts. These belts have about triple the strength of a standard belt and hold up to the power of todays high powered small block engines. In the past I raced with guys using Nova .12s in their HPI Racer2s and other cars. Belts sometimes were shredded clean because they didnt use a belt tensioner and also the belts were weak. Now they are running Serpents, Mugens, Kyoshos and HPI R40s. I run my NEO TNT. It's not really popular outside the 5 boroughs of NY, but it's a performer, cheap, and can win with a proper setup. Still using the MT12 in it and she flies. Some let the frustration of the # of teeth on belts and pulley gears frustrate them as they too play a roll in the cars acceleration and top speed but they shouldn't. Most people don't change them anyway. I wish I bought the VoneR a while ago as I could buy the evo conv kit. Oh well. Anyway NTC3 is your best bet here dude. Speed doesn't mean squat if you have no performance.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:33 AM   #10
Tech Elite

ya, as long as you know your car and can drive it well, you can beat out the guys with the better engines and with more power. just like my t-maxx, everybody has savages and revo's, but i still beat all of them. they have more power, but i have more control. thats just the way it works.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:11 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have you considered the mugen msx3 I have recently brought one and it is great the engine is one of the best kit engines I've seen and the car's handeling is great.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:08 AM   #12
Tech Elite

i dont think he is planning on spending that much.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:09 PM   #13
Tech Master

It is a lot cheaper than a NTC3 and the HPI RS4 3.

It is also a serious race contender
Old 09-03-2004, 09:13 PM   #14
Tech Master

I would consider it to be a better car than the NTC3 but it has less hop ups and option parts.

This is one area where NTC3 is very good. Also there are a few manufactures which produce good quality gear for the NTC3. I only no of one place where I can get aftermarket gear for the msx.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Honestly I don't see how could the Mugen MSX-3 could be better than the NTC3. Should this car have been a serious race contender, it would be advertised as one of the best shaft driven nitro sedan tourers on the market and winning big race events, but it's not. Not only does it have the least part support, but it hasn't been that popular either, even though it's from Mugen. It's the only Mugen car that I've seen to be neglected.

Last edited by HarKonnenD; 09-03-2004 at 10:53 PM.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote