R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Why short springs???

I was wondering why most nitro cars (sedan and 1/8th) use front short springs... Why not use the same length springs but with a harder rating...??
Serpenteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Tech Champion

short spring : bit stiffer, more progressive

long spring : normal, less progressive ( more liniar feeling )

why ? hhhmmm..... I dont know...... perhaps someone more experiences in racing can answer why.

I guess front suspension is always better with slightly stiffer feeling, more responsive feeling during initial cornering. Maybe
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Cars such as the Serpent 733 actually have the same length springs all round. I was also under the impression that spring length is not directly proportional to tension?

I would guess that on 1/8 cars it is due to the rear shock towers being higher and the need for greater suspension movement at the rear, also the ability to mount shocks in many positions.

Just a guess though.
JIM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM1 View Post
Cars such as the Serpent 733 actually have the same length springs all round. I was also under the impression that spring length is not directly proportional to tension?
Directly no, it's not. However, the total length of the wire matters. So if you make two springs, both with the same diameter wire, same diameter coil and same coil spacing but make one longer, it will therefore have a longer total length of wire and be softer.

If you used the exact same length of wire, the longer one would have a wider coil spacing so that both springs had the same amount of coils and would therefore have about the same spring rate.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote