R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-21-2004, 09:53 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Here's a link to the clutch assembly on the MRX 3
http://www.mugenracing.com/online%20...ual/mrxp15.jpg
If you could tell me which part it is that woudl be great. I've never greased up the area around the clutch before, but I do grease up the bearings on the SG shaft with some heavy duty grease after each day of running the car.
Illusion-Lighti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:57 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by whynot
When it is on the starter box and you are reving it up can you feel if it is shifting into 2nd gear and does your motor sound tuned nice and crisp? If it does than it is your clutch when the weight of the car is against the clutch it is making it slip so when you are at a low rpm it is prob. grabing a little but when the motor really starts to sing a high rpm it isnt grabing the clutch bell enough.You need to add some shims so that your end play is just a little bit not real sloppy prob. about .3-.4 mm of end play and when you get that set you need to make sure that your clutch nut isnt to loose also if it isnt tight enough it can bog the motor down. so you prob. want the clutch to kick it atabout 1/4 of throttle but that is a personal preferance. Hope this helps.
mike
Yea i think this is probably the problem. It almost feels as if the clutch isn't grabbing, but why would it only do this after a few seconds of running? I don't quite understand what you mean by adding shims though. I'm still fairly new to nitro's so a lot of the refferences you made I'm not to sure about.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:00 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Default try this !

take first gear off the shaft (not the bellhousing) then feel if there is any play in the clutch bell ( there should be very little) and then spin the clutch bell and see if there is any binding. If every thing is ok at that point then take off the second gear then go ahead and start it Don't rev it to high or to long but if the engine sounds like its running ok then refer to your instructions, The page that you posted will explain how to set your clutch up and also show you which one is the thrust bearing. Note there are 3 picees to the thrust bearing (one side is bigger) A digatal caliper would be a great help and what I consider a must have tool $20 to $30 dollors If you would like I will take some pictures to help you
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: try this !

Quote:
Originally posted by HELLION
take first gear off the shaft (not the bellhousing) then feel if there is any play in the clutch bell ( there should be very little) and then spin the clutch bell and see if there is any binding. If every thing is ok at that point then take off the second gear then go ahead and start it Don't rev it to high or to long but if the engine sounds like its running ok then refer to your instructions, The page that you posted will explain how to set your clutch up and also show you which one is the thrust bearing. Note there are 3 picees to the thrust bearing (one side is bigger) A digatal caliper would be a great help and what I consider a must have tool $20 to $30 dollors If you would like I will take some pictures to help you
If you could get me some photos of how yours is mounted that would be great! ALso how can you tell when the thrust bearing needs to be replaced?

Last edited by Illusion-Lighti; 08-21-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Default you'll know

The thrust bearing center piece has little balls in it that you can plainley see.There are little holes in the race that holds them. Thats the part that you grease . If the balls aren't in there holes then its toast. But usually you can tell if theres exciseve play in the clutch bell they are most likeley the culpret. Why don't you just email me and well get this figured out for you. [email protected]
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote