Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
How often does your oneway bearing fail? >

How often does your oneway bearing fail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often does your oneway bearing fail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

Default How often does your oneway bearing fail?

I had a 733 and now MRX5. I see both car's oneway both front oneway and the 2 speed oneway failing very fast even I had use the oneway oil. Maybe the place I run is very dirty. Want to know how often do you need to change the oneway tube? How long do they last?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you have a good quality bearing and clean and oil it every day it should last an entire season.
When it fails it's either bad quality (chinese rubbish) or hasn't been maintained properly.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Addict

where I run, its VERY dusty - one run and its covered.
In the beginning, I did squat to the one way and it lasted untouched for 7 months or so until it started to slip.
From then, I used Hudy One-Way oil and cleaned it out every few race meets - never slipped again.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

One-way oil or grease. Useing oil would attract more dirt, more a magnet to dirt. Grease wouldn't attract so much, may last longer. DJ says it may last 7 months, But, if you race alot, I'd relube(regrease) after practice or b4 finals. Useing oil may be a quick fix in a bind, grease protects better from moisture entering the bearing, better than WD-40. Oil will also disapate quick than grease. Try grease instead.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default one way

I have an MRX4X that has the orginal one way in it.<close to 3 seasons now>
I always clean and maintain the car after each race.
If they are cleaned, and you use the correct one-way lube, there is no readon for the one-way to go out.
Oil and grease naturally attract dirt, so with running on a dirty dusty track, that just compounds the problem.
I also have a Serpent 966 with close to 1 1/2 years on it, and that car also has the original one-way.
Its just a matter of getting into the habit of doing a good cleaning and relubing the cars after a weekend of racing.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Lord

Most of the time when the bearing fails it is also time to change the shaft with it.....
Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been through two of these darn one ways since I got the 5, My 4 still has the original in it. Even tried replacing the shaft (one race so far)

So I had the chance to talk to one of the top US Nitro drivers about the one way. He told me to spray it out after every race weekend and then fill it with ... get this ... Associated Stealth Grease, the clear/white stuff... pack it full he said. Now i haven't tried this yet but my Stealth grease just came in yesterday so I'll have to let you know.

So far I have used Gun oil, Marvel mystery oil, ATF, Mobil 1, triflow and nothing at all. So I'm willing to try the Grease
Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

You should never use petroleum based oils or greases. It causes the parts of the oneway to swell and fail. Use either the Associated stealth grease(clear) or special one way lube from Serpent or Xray. If all else fails use mineral oil.
All of the lubes you listed are all petroleum based

Pass you soon...
Old 02-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
If you have a good quality bearing and clean and oil it every day it should last an entire season.
When it fails it's either bad quality (chinese rubbish) or hasn't been maintained properly.
Heard the HK-1 oneway will last for 3 years without any lube...
It`s pure soundness.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CFowler
I have been through two of these darn one ways since I got the 5, My 4 still has the original in it. Even tried replacing the shaft (one race so far)

So I had the chance to talk to one of the top US Nitro drivers about the one way. He told me to spray it out after every race weekend and then fill it with ... get this ... Associated Stealth Grease, the clear/white stuff... pack it full he said. Now i haven't tried this yet but my Stealth grease just came in yesterday so I'll have to let you know.

So far I have used Gun oil, Marvel mystery oil, ATF, Mobil 1, triflow and nothing at all. So I'm willing to try the Grease
Hey Chris same thing I was told about the 733 oneway. It's weird but the chinese oneway, as they are called, takes grease. I just run a paper towel thru mine every other qualifier and before the mains then put Stealth lube in it. Since I started doing this I haven't blow one yet. Seems to work!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rbakker
Heard the HK-1 oneway will last for 3 years without any lube...
It`s pure soundness.
Yes, I heard as well. They will last 10 years with lubing.

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
Hey Chris same thing I was told about the 733 oneway. It's weird but the chinese oneway, as they are called, takes grease. I just run a paper towel thru mine every other qualifier and before the mains then put Stealth lube in it. Since I started doing this I haven't blow one yet. Seems to work!
The Chinese bearings aren't made as precisely as the German bearings so they need the grease to fill the gaps and stop them from slipping. You can clearly feel the difference in play compared to German (or other high quality bearings) and the cheaper Chinese ones.
If you have the possibility I would always go with a German bearing.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, I heard as well. They will last 10 years with lubing.

The Chinese bearings aren't made as precisely as the German bearings so they need the grease to fill the gaps and stop them from slipping.
It`s too easy to say the Chinese bearings are always bad, once heard that there are more then 1.000.000.000 people in China, imagine how many bearingshops...
Old 02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The Chinese bearings aren't made as precisely as the German bearings so they need the grease to fill the gaps and stop them from slipping. You can clearly feel the difference in play compared to German (or other high quality bearings) and the cheaper Chinese ones.
If you have the possibility I would always go with a German bearing.
Funny, I had my one way on my German made Velox go after two meets, yet my Chinese made 733 bearing is still going strong after 1+ years. I used to enjoy reading your comments DS, but since you switched to Capricorn you have become nothing but a propaganda machine for them.

Keep it clean, and oil regularly (I do it always before a final). Make sure there is some slight gap and the one way is not shimmed tightly, and keep your eye to make sure the shaft is not worn.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rbakker
It`s too easy to say the Chinese bearings are always bad, once heard that there are more then 1.000.000.000 people in China, imagine how many bearingshops...
Off course, pay them to make you quality stuff and they will make it.

Originally Posted by Novarossi
Funny, I had my one way on my German made Velox go after two meets, yet my Chinese made 733 bearing is still going strong after 1+ years. I used to enjoy reading your comments DS, but since you switched to Capricorn you have become nothing but a propaganda machine for them.

Keep it clean, and oil regularly (I do it always before a final). Make sure there is some slight gap and the one way is not shimmed tightly, and keep your eye to make sure the shaft is not worn.
Like I said above, there are good Chinese bearings and bad ones. And even with a German bearing you can have bad one, even Germans don't have a 100% fault free production line.

I switched to Capricorn because I felt, and still feel, they make the best stuff available whether it's cars, engines, tires or fuel. So this also shows in my posts. Hell, I've been so satisfied with my Capricorn products I decided to start my own store to offer their products to the Dutch drivers. And judging by my sales they are very happy with the products as well.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Don't all get worked up over Chinese and German bearings.
We all know who makes the better ones

What none of you has mentioned here is the quality of the shaft the bearings rides on.

The best one-way bearing can't work, if the shaft is not the exact right size or worn out.
Another factor is surface hardness of the shaft.
We tried titanium shafts a few years back and the worked for may 10 minutes and then the one way started slipping because the surface of the titanium deformed (too soft)

And also a little info on one way lubes:
The oil you can buy from the manufacturers are nothing else but sewing machine oils. Very thin and very cheap

A oneway cannot have anything that actually "lubes" (reduces friction), because that will make the needles slip on the shaft.
That also why the AE stealth lube works. It's desigend to "not slip" in a ball diff.
The oil or grease is just there to keep the cage from wearing out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.