R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-19-2004, 06:38 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default NovaMax vs. NovaMega

Can somebody give me some comments:

I have a Nova Mega SX12 RE EV1-MS (Michael Salven) that I purchased 2 years back but never got around to use. I also recently bought a Nova Max MX12 Max3 MF and used for practice and races recently. I find that the Max is an excellent engine with a lot of bottom end punch.

Because I didn't want to waste the Mega engine, I recently installed it onto my car and found that there is a significant difference between it and Max (Max has so much more power). Is this true or am I not setting the Mega engine properly.

I ran the Max (No. 7 glowplug) at an average temp of 100 deg C but today ran the Mega engine (No. 6 glowplug) at 130 deg C. Still feels that Max is far superior.

Can somebody tell me whether the characteristics of the Mega engine so I can tune and drive it accordingly.
Lung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
Tech Regular

The Max engine is a fully modified motor by Fantini as I am sure that you know. There is much more work done to the crank and body.

All things being perfect your Max will always be better. The Max3 is a BOMB, I have one also.

The Mega would be great as a backup/practice motor. As for tuing, there are many variables. Since I do not know where you are you must take into account altitude, weather, fuel, head shims, glow plugs, track types. Set it to factory settings and go back from there.

John
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:28 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Well, I'm not an engine expert so I'll probably get some help from somebody at our local track.

However, do you know whether the NovaMax is known better for its low or high end power.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Its stronger throughout the whole power band, compared with the Novarossi block.

John
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:44 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm in Jakarta and the temp normally runs from 28 - 32 deg C without much rain these days.

I use Tornado 25% nitro fuel for our local track that is pretty much wide open with long straights.

When I first bought the engine, the hobby shop installed a shim (3mm). The local hobby shop says that there is now a 4 mm piston clearance. So should I remove the original shim or not?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:09 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

You cannot compare Nova MAX and Nova Mega by MS....

Nova MAX gonna be faster and better (because it cost more...LOL) but also because that is hand made modified engine...

Nova Mega by MS is just a little piston ring mod by Michael Salven's design.......he didn't HAND made the mod himself, and MS edition is NOT considered MOD engine....it is still stock engine will a little extra.

So, your feeling about MAX over Mega is absolutely expected....and you are lucky that is exactly what happened.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:12 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by Lung
Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm in Jakarta and the temp normally runs from 28 - 32 deg C without much rain these days.

I use Tornado 25% nitro fuel for our local track that is pretty much wide open with long straights.

When I first bought the engine, the hobby shop installed a shim (3mm). The local hobby shop says that there is now a 4 mm piston clearance. So should I remove the original shim or not?
Oh, NEVER remove that 3mm shims.....you are running 25-30% fuel, to make the engine last longer, you SUPPOSE to add the extra 1mm or even 2mm shims so the COMPRESSION will not be too aggressive....but since your engine is fully ran and is in good condition with the original 3mm, I would leave it alone UNTILL you step up for 30% nitro....if so, I will add the extra 1mm shim for better protection...

Afterall, $350 Nova Max should not be abuse, it is not a cheap engine afterall...........but for sure, they are ROCKET.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:25 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Lung
However, do you know whether the NovaMax is known better for its low or high end power.
The Max is well renouned for it's blistering top end, I don't think too many motors would be able to out pace it. It is more tuned for top end so it does loose out a little in the bottom end.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Sorry I meant the NovaMega instead of the Max.

I ran the NovaMega again today at the track and it seems that all the other engines clearly outpaced me, especially on the long straights. The only advantage I can feel is that the engine is very smooth throughtout but not much power. I've tried to change pinions, pipes, etc. but can't find any other strong point.

Given the same driving skill, I find it difficult to pass other drivers with a better engine.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

how the fuel millage on the max motor compaired to the mega?
bcquick is offline   Reply With Quote